Gen Z is driving force among adults identifying as LGBTQ, poll shows. Here's a breakdown.

Scott

image.png

A total of 7.2% of U.S. adults identify as LGBTQ, and younger generations – particularly those 25 and under – are driving the numbers, according to a poll released Wednesday.

The Gallup survey of 2022 data also shows that the number of U.S adults who identified as LGBTQ has more than doubled in a decade: In 2012, Gallup found that 3.5% of U.S. adults said they were LGBTQ. That number surged to 7.1% in 2021 before holding steady last year.

The fact that the numbers stabilized in 2022 after recent dramatic jumps is not unexpected, Gallup Senior Editor Jeff Jones told USA TODAY. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/02/22/gallup-poll-lgbtq-identification/11309075002/

USA Today logo and symbol, meaning, history, PNG

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

One thing that's interesting in a graph from the article is how the percentage of people who say they gay or bisexual his risen steadily over the generations.

So the so-called "sllent generation", the generation older than boomers, reported 1.7%. Whereas Generation Z reported 19.7%.

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

One thing that's interesting in a graph from the article is how the percentage of people who say they gay or bisexual his risen steadily over the generations.

So the so-called "sllent generation", the generation older than boomers, reported 1.7%. Whereas Generation Z reported 19.7%.

there is less stigma now days to sexual preferences

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And this is the political reality.

Far more than any other generation, young people are not concerned about the gender or sexuality of others.

Exceptions of course are those young people groomed into hatred within religious teachings.

Angry old angst on this, and d many other reactionary issues, is dying out.

One of my kids and I go around and around about LGBTQ issues.  He's very conservative, I am much more liberal. While visiting, my granddaughter (18 years old)  and her boyfriend were there for dinner, so I asked her about gender/sexuality issues.  She seemed confused why I asked.  Her boyfriend said, "Oh, isn't your friend bisexual", she said, "no, that was last week, now she's pansexual."   Neither of them seemed to have much interest in anyone's sexuality, sexual identity, gender identity or any thing have to do with their sexual preferences.   

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So many labels; no wonder us ordinary blokes that don't spend our entire time wanting to be different are confused.

IMO if it were not for having it thrust into our faces at every opportunity, most of us "ordinary blokes" wouldn't even think about it. I certainly don't have conversation about it with my friends- it's of no interest normally.

BTW, if the creature in the last photo is in anyway typical of the LG etc community, it's no wonder we don't want to think about it any more than we have to.

BTW, wasn't homosexuality normal when the Greeks were in charge of the western world?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scott said:

The Gallup survey of 2022 data also shows that the number of U.S adults who identified as LGBTQ has more than doubled in a decade: In 2012, Gallup found that 3.5% of U.S. adults said they were LGBTQ. That number surged to 7.1% in 2021 before holding steady last year.

I didn't see a breakdown of that by gender. That would be significant. IMO women are more likely to be bisexual than men, and in the case of men, as is evident in Thailand, some men that do not consider themselves to be homosexual or bi sexual will have a walk on the wild side

1 hour ago, Credo said:

One of my kids and I go around and around about LGBTQ issues.  He's very conservative, I am much more liberal. While visiting, my granddaughter (18 years old)  and her boyfriend were there for dinner, so I asked her about gender/sexuality issues.  She seemed confused why I asked.  Her boyfriend said, "Oh, isn't your friend bisexual", she said, "no, that was last week, now she's pansexual."   Neither of them seemed to have much interest in anyone's sexuality, sexual identity, gender identity or any thing have to do with their sexual preferences.   

I'd imagine they found it very awkward. I'm not surprised she was confused, she probably didn't want to talk to you about it.

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to talk to my GrandParents about sexuality when I was 18. It's a bit cringe.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I didn't see a breakdown of that by gender. That would be significant. IMO women are more likely to be bisexual than men, and in the case of men, as is evident in Thailand, some men that do not consider themselves to be homosexual or bi sexual will have a walk on the wild side

Utter rubbish on all levels. It's illogical to suggest that having gay sex is "straight". What does that term then mean?

Edited by ozimoron

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And this is the political reality.

Far more than any other generation, young people are not concerned about the gender or sexuality of others.

Exceptions of course are those young people groomed into hatred within religious teachings.

Angry old angst on this, and d many other reactionary issues, is dying out.

Gen Z is the future, they will be the ones running the world and your right, I have a daughter in that age group, the the awareness and non discriminatory attitude to others sexual preferences is evident and uplifting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Gen Z is the future, they will be the ones running the world and your right, I have a daughter in that age group, the the awareness and non discriminatory attitude to others sexual preferences is evident and uplifting. 

I'm late 60's and have to say I've never been discriminatory to LGBTQ people. I accept that Gen Z are more aware and tolerant. Woke if you will but not the remit of gen Z by any means.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Utter rubbish on all levels. It's illogical to suggest that having gay sex is "straight". What does that term then mean? Have you been engaging in guilty pleasures?

Whilst it's certainly not for me (I'm straight) and frankly I avoid them like the plague, any gay man will tell you that attraction to Ladyboys is a straight thing.

I've never known a gay man who likes them. I've met quite a few straight blokes who have a dabble now and then. One of them was engaged to a very cute American girl and was basically what some would refer to as a Chad. 

Maybe some of the gay forum members could confirm?

Just now, JonnyF said:

Whilst it's certainly not for me (I'm straight) and frankly I avoid them like the plague, any gay man will tell you that attraction to Ladyboys is a straight thing.

I've never known a gay man who likes them. I've met quite a few straight blokes who have a dabble now and then. One of them was engaged to a very cute American girl and was basically what some would refer to as a Chad. 

Maybe some of the gay forum members could confirm?

I'm also straight but attraction to ladyboys is not straight no matter what gay men might tell you.

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I'm late 60's and have to say I've never been discriminatory to LGBTQ people. I accept that Gen Z are more aware and tolerant. Woke if you will but not restricted to gen Z by any means.

Sure, but unfortunately that's a trait that not all of the older gen have. Here's a couple of personal examples:

My daughter has a fairly wide circle of friends, 95% of which are International heritage due to her being the same and going to an International School here. 

There are three of her friends in particular who are scared to mention their own sexual identity to their parents, 2 of the parents being Russian and the other being Indian. Although the same may be the case of other nationalities of course, that's just my experience.

But these parents are so extreme in their views that they will not even allow their teenage daughters to have sleep overs with another girl or group of girls.

Edited by Bkk Brian

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I'm also straight but attraction to ladyboys is not straight no matter what gay men might tell you.

No, their orientation is sex with a female.  They do not generally have any interest in sex with a male, but it does seem that they are their own category.   

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Credo said:

No, their orientation is sex with a female.  They do not generally have any interest in sex with a male, but it does seem that they are their own category.   

Whatever that category is it is not accurate to claim it is "straight". I'm not attacking anyone but word definition is important. It would dilute the meaning of the word to include anything other than non LBGTQ.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Well, the fact that straight men sometimes pick them up by accident without knowing they are ladyboys tells you that some of them are attractive to straight men. 

Obviously picking them up knowing they are Ladyboys is different, but since gay men never do that I believe it is a straight thing. If they were gay, why not just pick up a "normal" gay bloke? It's not like there's a stigma to that. It's probably because they are not attracted to "normal" gay blokes, because they are straight.

Again, I am prepared to be corrected by one of the gay forum members if they like Ladyboys. But every gay bloke I've spoken to finds them very unattractive and wouldn't even consider going with one. Why? Because they look like women whereas they are attracted to men.

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Well, the fact that straight men sometimes pick them up by accident without knowing they are ladyboys tells you that some of them are attractive to straight men. 

Obviously picking them up knowing they are Ladyboys is different, but since gay men never do that I believe it is a straight thing. If they were gay, why not just pick up a "normal" gay bloke? It's not like there's a stigma to that. It's probably because they are not attracted to "normal" gay blokes, because they are straight.

Again, I am prepared to be corrected by one of the gay forum members if they like Ladyboys. But every gay bloke I've spoken to finds them very unattractive and wouldn't even consider going with one. Why? Because they look like women whereas they are attracted to men.

It just tells me they are drunk or not very good at picking the difference in gender.

I never suggested there was any stigma, just being pedantic about what "straight" means in relation to sex.

Edited by ozimoron

46 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I went to the Google. A guy attracted to a tranny is a "Cisgender".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pegman said:

I went to the Google. A guy attracted to a tranny is a "Cisgender".

I'm no expert but I think Cisgender just means you identify as what you really are.

i.e. you were born a bloke and you are a just a normal bloke.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, placeholder said:

When I was a young cop in Melbourne in early 60,s 'gay' was usually a poofter frequenting public toilets in parks and gardens. Progress it seems.! 

2 minutes ago, Olmate said:

When I was a young cop in Melbourne in early 60,s 'gay' was usually a poofter frequenting public toilets in parks and gardens. Progress it seems.! 

You can be assured it was also a number of those vehemently berating others for being gay.

The more fixated their derogatory remarks, the more certain their self loathing.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s all on a spectrum, black and white at either end and every shade of gray in between.

Actually there does seem to be an official term that I just found with a pretty good explanation: "gynandromorphophilic men"

What about the gynandromorphophilic men? Their arousal ran high when watching transgender women sex, while their attraction towards cisgender women was equal to that of heterosexuals, and toward men was very low, only slightly higher to that of heterosexuals. In short, the definition of gynandromorphophilia is the more appropriate: men sexually attracted by transgender women. That is all. They are not repressed homosexuals. They can also be bisexual, but only in some cases.

https://www.ilgrandecolibri.com/en/gynandromorphophilia-love-transwomen/

• Like 2

Cisgender gay Boomer here.

I really don't understand those very high numbers.

They sound incredible.

I am very skeptical of them.

Bill Maher who is often obnoxious but also often right talks about the power of being trendy in youth.

I bet in 20 years that the Z LGBTQ numbers will be much lower.

The way its going gay bars will need to rebrand as just bars.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Cisgender gay Boomer here.

I really don't understand those very high numbers.

They sound incredible.

I am very skeptical of them.

Bill Maher who is often obnoxious but also often right talks about the power of being trendy in youth.

I bet in 20 years that the Z LGBTQ numbers will be much lower.

The way its going gay bars will need to rebrand as just bars.

Pretty much what I said above. It's a bit of a trend.

I do understand why people such as yourself find it annoying. It's a bit like when that super cool band that only you and your mates knew about ends up on Top of the Pops with a load of chavs dancing to it. 

Plus, the more LGBTQ there are, the less "special" it is.

If the trend continues then as a straight white male maybe I can be special by the age of 70? That would be awesome. I wouldn't even need to do anything. Just be special by the way i was born, same as the LGBTQ crew.

Ok maybe I wouldn't be special. But at least I wouldn't have all 3 of the cardinal sins. Straight, white AND male.????

• Like 1