Thailand vs Vietnam tourism

whereyougo

6 hours ago, whereyougo said:

Bad news for those insisting Vietnam is leading the race

Who is saying that?

6 hours ago, whereyougo said:

Interesting article, but they seem to avoid mentioning the fact that Thailand has a lot of repeat business, while a lot of people visit Vietnam once and choose not to visit again because of scamming and rude locals.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Who is saying that?

Interesting article, but they seem to avoid mentioning the fact that Thailand has a lot of repeat business, while a lot of people visit Vietnam once and choose not to visit again because of scamming and rude locals.

No, because only Americans can live there without a border run every month.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Hmmmm......

Many pardons for being the contrarian, but why the unnecessary comparatives?

One has little to do with the other.

The initial inquiry feels rather trivial even nonsequitous. 

Perhaps some feel the need for a competition between the two.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Been to Vietnam a few times, over a period of 20 years, with and without my Thai woman. Never been too fond of the place. It is beautiful and the food is great. But, for me the people leave something to be desired. They are alot like the Chinese. Not particularly warm or fun to be around. No thanks. Don't feel any need to return. 

I much prefer the Thai people. Many are warm, friendly and funny. Great humor. Playful works for me. 

I like to visit Việt Nam but after a few days I feel like I have got enough of the place. It is just too rough around the edges. Just walking around is massively stressful with all the motos running around so you have to constantly stay alert, at least in Saigon and Hanoi. Some places like Da Nang are less stressful thanks to proper sidewalks. And yes, people can be a bit tense. No fake smiles over there, don't know if that is good or bad, it's your choice. Thailand is far from perfect as we all know but it feels much easier and more benign than VN.

Edited by rabang
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Same with most Asian countries: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, China etc. etc.

In the original article he talks about the offers for sex and party tourists as of one of the main tourist attractions in Thailand and that Vietnam has for instance no Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza, Pattaya and Full Moon Parties. I really would like to know how many tourists come because of this to Thailand. These businesses make a lot of noise in every sense and create this unique brothel reputation that some locations of Thailand have. But I don't think they are the main tourist magnet even if the tourism minister tries again and again to extend their business hours. For my former European and US friends these seedy businesses are the main reason to avoid Thailand. 

Vietnam simply started much later than Thailand. The first US tourists were there to fight and in Thailand to relax. And then the communist regime. I think if Vietnam and especially the Philippines create a better infrastructure for tourists, they would be a very serious competition for Thailand - no need to develop seedy nightlife like here in Thailand to attract a special clientele.

17 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

In the original article he talks about the offers for sex and party tourists as of one of the main tourist attractions in Thailand and that Vietnam has for instance no Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza, Pattaya and Full Moon Parties. I really would like to know how many tourists come because of this to Thailand. These businesses make a lot of noise in every sense and create this unique brothel reputation that some locations of Thailand have. But I don't think they are the main tourist magnet even if the tourism minister tries again and again to extend their business hours. For my former European and US friends these seedy businesses are the main reason to avoid Thailand. 

Vietnam simply started much later than Thailand. The first US tourists were there to fight and in Thailand to relax. And then the communist regime. I think if Vietnam and especially the Philippines create a better infrastructure for tourists, they would be a very serious competition for Thailand - no need to develop seedy nightlife like here in Thailand to attract a special clientele.

For me, some of the main draws are the people, culture, and history, but beaches, nature, and ladies would be extra bonus points. (Been only to the two big cities, so far.)

If Vietnam had visas like Thailand (not just short-term), I'd probably try to stay there a while as an alternative to Thailand.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

10 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

scamming and rude locals

I agree with you; HOWEVER, Vietnam does seem to have some fairly intelligent people.   some are very kind, sure.  Food is decent.  Weather is, well, SE Asia weather (Saigon) and the place definitely has something magical.  Thailand is way easier at first, and everything is simply slower, etc....

If I absolutely had to choose, I'd pick Vietnam.  Def. marry a woman from Vietnam over Thailand.  

If very old, yea, probably pick Thailand.    Retirement?  You can adjust to almost anything.  

We are not in a prison.   Can visit both a few times a year.   8 months here, 4 here, etc...until you decide.

21 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

no need to develop seedy nightlife like here in Thailand

So then no need to worry about 40 million tourists a year.   So then no need to do anything.  This is 99% of the reason why tourists come to Thailand.  I never met a guy who didn't.   Chinese, Japanese, they have a very LONG LONG history of sex tourism to Thailand.   google it

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

For me, some of the main draws are the people, culture, and history, but beaches, nature, and ladies would be extra bonus points. (Been only to the two big cities, so far.)

I have been there several times. I don't like the idea that vegetables could still could contain the US Agent Orange from the Vietnam War. And the constant honking gets on my nerves. But I like the beer and the food. I have to forget the Agent Orange then... 

But it was also used in Thailand: 

"In Thailand, Agent Orange was used to clear the jungle around bases, as a means to enhance security. However, there was a terrible consequence: Exposure to Agent Orange resulted in cancer, birth defects, and other significant ailments." 

https://blogs.loc.gov/maps/2019/08/u-s-bases-in-thailand-during-the-vietnam-war-and-agent-orange/

8 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

So then no need to worry about 40 million tourists a year.   So then no need to do anything.  This is 99% of the reason why tourists come to Thailand.  I never met a guy who didn't.   Chinese, Japanese, they have a very LONG LONG history of sex tourism to Thailand.   google it

I don't think that the seedy nightlife in Thailand has the capacity to serve 40 million tourists. When I look here in Pattaya many bars are pretty empty. Some have no customers at all. Perhaps they are only used for money laundering?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BananaStrong said:

I agree with you; HOWEVER, Vietnam does seem to have some fairly intelligent people.   some are very kind, sure.  Food is decent.  Weather is, well, SE Asia weather (Saigon) and the place definitely has something magical.  Thailand is way easier at first, and everything is simply slower, etc....

Sure, there are many advantages that Vietnam has over Thailand.  In fact, it's kind of the case that they directly relate to each other.  What I mean is, you get this sense of unity and togetherness in Thailand that you don't find so much in Vietnam, but, this means that if things do get a bit sketchy you might be safer in Vietnam because it's less likely that the whole room/street are going to immediately side with the local and bash your head in.  They push and shove a lot more in Vietnam, but you feel like you can push and shove back.

This unity is very nice to observe in Thailand, but you are often not part of it as a foreigner, just a spectator.  In Vietnam, you are less likely to see this same unity, which can be a shame, but you are more likely to be accepted and judged a little more individuality than in Thailand.

I've spent time in both Vietnam and Thailand post-covid, and I really got the feeling that in Vietnam they think "wow, a foreigner, welcome back!", but in Thailand it's still a little "ew, a foreigner, it's a shame you had to return". 

They're certainly more open to foreigners and foreign ways of thinking in Vietnam.  Definitely more intellectually curious.  They also seem to want to have access to foreigners due to the education system that we have been through.  I can't imagine that ever being the case in Thailand, even with the state of the Thai education system as it is.  And yes, even Vietnamese men want to chat with foreigners!

I suppose one factor in this is that they don't have the same sex industry in Vietnam, so they don't assume a foreigner is a sex tourist, more likely a business person or teacher (and they apricate foreign teachers a lot more in Vietnam).

Some other things I preferred Thailand for were treatment of women, even though Thailand is pretty sexist, you don't see quite the same level of disrespect for women you see in Vietnam.  The petty crime in Vietnam (due to communism) is kind of annoying, and it makes Vietnamese people quite suspicious of each other.  But at least it isn't reserved for foreigners.  Anyone could get robbed or scammed in Vietnam.

One thing about the scamminess in each country, is that in Thailand they use flattery, deception and kindness, whereas in Vietnam it's a little more overt.  You can spot someone being sneaky a lot easier in Vietnam (in my opinion), while in Thailand it's a lot more subtle and you might not even realise that you were being manipulated until a lot later.  I think the Thai version is a little easier to handle short-term, but can grate a little once you pick up on it.

I think this could all suggest that Thailand makes an easier stay for a holiday or retirement, but Vietnam might be easier to build a new life in.

1 hour ago, BananaStrong said:

If I absolutely had to choose, I'd pick Vietnam.  Def. marry a woman from Vietnam over Thailand.  

Yeah, I think due to the culture and the way Westerners are perceived, you're certainly more likely to find something more genuine in Vietnam.  Not to mention have access to a far higher social level.  I think the "wow a Westerner" vs "ew a Westerner" holds true for dating especially (IMO).

They're both very interesting places to stay, each with some pros and some cons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

Of course it does!!!! Every city and Mooo Baan in the country.   Right now I'm in the sticks and there are about 10 short term sex motels, maybe 40 bars, and my Tinder is on fire!!!!!

Probably has the capacity to serve 1 billion sex tourists once they cut down these dumb forests and put up some Pattaya-like walking streets!!!!!!   

I've been to about 30 cities in Thailand for more than one night, every one has a "seedy" nightlife, some not as obvious.   Call me Mr. Seedy

Yes. There is a lot of such entertainment for Thais. But the 40 million tourists will mostly go to nightlife venues for tourists. But again. I don't think that these businesses are so important for the tourism. They are important for some people to make money. But not for the majority of the tourism industry. And I guess only a tiny fraction of the 40 million will visit such venues. 50,000 people at the Full Moon Party sounds much? Not really and often young backpackers with little money. The full or whatever moon parties annoy many other tourists and locals on Koh Phangan. 

12 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Hmmmm......

Many pardons for being the contrarian, but why the unnecessary comparatives?

One has little to do with the other.

The initial inquiry feels rather trivial even nonsequitous. 

Perhaps some feel the need for a competition between the two.

Or ... Perhaps they are in need of information, and enlightenment, due to their inherent desire to relocate to a better place. Because, their present situation is disappointing. 

16 hours ago, rabang said:

I like to visit Việt Nam but after a few days I feel like I have got enough of the place. It is just too rough around the edges. Just walking around is massively stressful with all the motos running around so you have to constantly stay alert, at least in Saigon and Hanoi. Some places like Da Nang are less stressful thanks to proper sidewalks. And yes, people can be a bit tense. No fake smiles over there, don't know if that is good or bad, it's your choice. Thailand is far from perfect as we all know but it feels much easier and more benign than VN.

It feels like colonialization  and the war left a permanent scar on the collective soul of Vietnam that will not go away. Add in the commie government and it seems to be a foul mix. No thanks. 

12 hours ago, Joebuzzz said:

Or ... Perhaps they are in need of information, and enlightenment, due to their inherent desire to relocate to a better place. Because, their present situation is disappointing. 

Yes, of course.

Always greener pastures on the other side.

Somewhere new to complain and whinge on about.......all the while being set in the miserable ways.

Same same wherever they may be or relocate. 

It's not the locale or environment - it's them. 

23 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

Of course it does!!!! Every city and Mooo Baan in the country.   Right now I'm in the sticks and there are about 10 short term sex motels, maybe 40 bars, and my Tinder is on fire!!!!!

Well, these places in the sticks, probably, cater more to the locals, rather than the international tourists.

As for brothels, some people must be blind claiming that there is 'no prostitution in Thailand'...

Edited by StayinThailand2much