Farangs Who 'go Native'.......

Luckydog

Ok, so you can go back to thinking your neighbours are hillbillies who can't speak their own language. Well I can only speak from my experience (note I say my experience and not my wife/gf said) and I have not observed the low literacy rates you claim. I feel no shame in speaking the local dialect and would not be arrogant enough to claim that they mispronounce things. Thet are speaking their dialect 100% correctly.

Since when are Thais not to be trusted to provide information or insights about their own culture? After 30+ years of personal experience I would not be so arrogant as to think that I shouldn't double check from time to time to see if my experience and insights are indicative of the general condition from a Thai perspective.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mixing with Hi So cannot be defined as going native.....

What the OP was on about was the guy living the life of a Thai villager in areas such as Issan or Laos areas. Usually an indication that funds are getting tight...or that the guy has just become so unmotivated from how he used to be.

Going native means exactly that...it doesnt mean....dining out with Thai friends wearing traditional Thai dress, It doesnt mean catching a Taxi cos the Limo got a flat tyre.

It does mean....living on a budget of a few hundred baht a week...eating things you once thought exotic but now is survival. wearing clothes that you once thought represented poverty but now has become comfortable everyday wear.

You seem to have made quite a few assumptions about those of us living in Thai villages.

No money

Unmotivated

Poor dress sense

I would argue with you but I haven't got the motivation and it seems like a big waste of energy.

Enjoy your life

Howdy,

Thinking back on my comments I've made on this post. I have come to relize that we all have a dream, one life to live, and only one chance to pull it all together. I don't like being laughed at for the way I live my life, so I should not be laughing at others for the way they live or would like to live. People I know here in the States think I'm crazy for dreaming of moving to Thailand. Thus, laughing at me :D . Kinda funny I think....us rednecks.

Anyhow just wanted to say that. Not only am I learning about living in Thailand from TV, I'm learning about myself as well. :D

*Now I'm going to put on my Thai towel, light some candles and incents, and play khean, maybe a little dancing as well . :o:D

Chung *j*

Nothing wrong with going native isn't it? Complaining in the West that people do not integrate and at the same time expecting from foreigners that they will keep their old habits is a bit far fetched. maybe they laugh behind your back too, who knows, maybe also behind the back of your wife.

I believe that you might simply be jealous that you have to live in a white nose ghetto.

Villagefarang

In your previous posts you had no difficulties asserting your own views without the help from the local Thai population; who you viewed as hillbillies who couldn't speak Thai properly. I was merely stating that this is my view from my experience and so possibly open to my misinterpretations. I would not have the nerve to ask my wife if our friends and neighbours were a bit dumb and I certainly would tell her that they couldn't speak Thai properly. She might think this was a bit arrogant.

Edited by garro

I'm sorry if it is contemptuous to be "native" enough to know that some of my neighbors can't read or write, to know when they mispronounce or get things wrong.

I am very surprised that some of your neighbours can't read or write. I have worked in schools in city and village for a few years now and have always been impressed by the high literacy rate. In the village where I live now I have taught in two local schools and the literacy must me nearly 100%. Not only that but even those in Pratum 1 can also read a foreign alphabet and count to 10 in a foreign language. Hard to find the same in the west. Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

First, I believe that VF was referring to foreign neighbors being unable to read and write Thai and mispronouncing things (which is the majority of farangs here).

Second, I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. :D I've been teaching here for quite a while now and the literacy rate is actually quite bad. At the moment, I teach pratom 5 and 6 in a government school and about 75% of the kids don't know the English alphabet. That's not such a big deal, but I would estimate 35-40% of the kids can't read Thai. Yes, they know the letters, but when asked to read something, they can't. They simply wait for someone to tell them what to say and repeat it. This is not only my opinion. I've talked to my Thai colleagues and they are quite concerned about the downward trend they see in the students' abilities.

To get back to the OP's subject, I applaud anyone who attempts to learn more about Thai culture and language. It makes no difference to me if they can do things correctly, but that they put forth the effort. I've met too many men who have been here 10+ yrs, can't speak a word of the language, have a wife who can't speak English and get angry with the Thais when they don't understand English. :D The man in the village should be commended for trying. :D I expect that the Thais are laughing, as many others have pointed out, because he has made minor cultural blunders. :o That's no big deal.

Sorry to have rambled on a bit.

BBTJ

Mixing with Hi So cannot be defined as going native.....

What the OP was on about was the guy living the life of a Thai villager in areas such as Issan or Laos areas. Usually an indication that funds are getting tight...or that the guy has just become so unmotivated from how he used to be.

Going native means exactly that...it doesnt mean....dining out with Thai friends wearing traditional Thai dress, It doesnt mean catching a Taxi cos the Limo got a flat tyre.

It does mean....living on a budget of a few hundred baht a week...eating things you once thought exotic but now is survival. wearing clothes that you once thought represented poverty but now has become comfortable everyday wear.

You seem to have made quite a few assumptions about those of us living in Thai villages.

No money

Unmotivated

Poor dress sense

I would argue with you but I haven't got the motivation and it seems like a big waste of energy.

Enjoy your life

Actually I didnt....there are people who live in rural villages that dont "Go Native"....the OP was describing an extreme case of "Going Native" I have spent enough time in rural villages to know the difference. I can also recognise what he meant as I have seen it happen to someone I know.

My comments were more towards those who live in semi rural or city areas that think that because they wear a sarong and flip flops on occasion, they are "Going Native"

People who have the means to "dress up" but choose to "dress down" are not "Going Native"

Well bigbadthaijohn your experience is certainly different than mine. I previously taught in government schools in BKK and was impressed by the level of literacy. I spent some time working in quite a large school near Mo Chit and even those in P1 could identify and say the alphabet both lower and upper case. For the last four years I have been teaching in a rural part of Phitsanulok and again impressed with the level of literacy. While teaching the lower pratum levels I would use Thai script to write the English phonetically and this worked very well. I was not aware of anyone in my classes who were not able to write these words down or read them from the board.

Edited by garro

I'm sorry if it is contemptuous to be "native" enough to know that some of my neighbors can't read or write, to know when they mispronounce or get things wrong.

I am very surprised that some of your neighbours can't read or write. I have worked in schools in city and village for a few years now and have always been impressed by the high literacy rate. In the village where I live now I have taught in two local schools and the literacy must me nearly 100%. Not only that but even those in Pratum 1 can also read a foreign alphabet and count to 10 in a foreign language. Hard to find the same in the west. Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

First, I believe that VF was referring to foreign neighbors being unable to read and write Thai and mispronouncing things (which is the majority of farangs here).

Second, I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. :D I've been teaching here for quite a while now and the literacy rate is actually quite bad. At the moment, I teach pratom 5 and 6 in a government school and about 75% of the kids don't know the English alphabet. That's not such a big deal, but I would estimate 35-40% of the kids can't read Thai. Yes, they know the letters, but when asked to read something, they can't. They simply wait for someone to tell them what to say and repeat it. This is not only my opinion. I've talked to my Thai colleagues and they are quite concerned about the downward trend they see in the students' abilities.

To get back to the OP's subject, I applaud anyone who attempts to learn more about Thai culture and language. It makes no difference to me if they can do things correctly, but that they put forth the effort. I've met too many men who have been here 10+ yrs, can't speak a word of the language, have a wife who can't speak English and get angry with the Thais when they don't understand English. :D The man in the village should be commended for trying. :D I expect that the Thais are laughing, as many others have pointed out, because he has made minor cultural blunders. :o That's no big deal.

BBTJ

I hate to correct you since most of what you say, I am in agreement with. There are no other Farangs living here and only a couple guys who visit from time to time. I was indeed talking about the locals. Sorry about that.

The Op was talking about a guy who married a Thai that lives in a village. He is part of that family now and obviously wants to fit in as best he can, nothing wrong with that at all. He is doing what he feels is the right thing to do. If they lived in a city, I am sure he would do city things. Is there something wrong with village life that makes it foolish to attempt. They are just a bunch a people getting by the best they can. A more honest life than most of Thai society can claim. The Op didn’t say he was trying to support himself with a rice crop or selling lum yi under an umbrella on the highway.

It makes no difference what you do in Thailand you are going to get laughed at. If you speak perfect Thai, they laugh, if you screw it up they laugh. If you comb your hair they laugh. They laugh at anything a foreigner does but usually it is just because they find observations funny. It is very unlikely they are being mean. When they are being mean, they talk they don’t laugh.

If you find village life to be beneath you, no problem, you won’t likely be missed.

BBTJ

I hate to correct you since most of what you say, I am in agreement with. There are no other Farangs living here and only a couple guys who visit from time to time. I was indeed talking about the locals. Sorry about that.

Erm.. so BBTJ misread your post and then went on to complain about the level of literacy among Thais. Is it just me or is there something wrong with this?

BBTJ

Erm.. so BBTJ misread your post and then went on to complain about the level of literacy among Thais. Is it just me or is there something wrong with this?

Just you.

Bless you for that Villagefarang. Wish you had come along earlier........Have a Beer on me.

Shall we close this thread now Mods?

:o

Now this one made me laughed even more! Oh my God! :D

Hey Luckydog I don't think this guy likes us. Maybe he might chill if you give him my beer. Besides, I don't drink. Thanks for the gesture though!

What is an identity after all? It is just something politicians are telling us to hold their grip on us.We are all humans living on this globe and borders are just creations by people. Thai people like to laugh, so it is not sure they laugh because he try to live like they do. From my own experience I can say when eating papaya salad or insects for that matter, people find it funny and they like the idea that I try their food. I also like Thai culture in general and I like the sober life on the country-side as it is back to the essential, instead of being a stupid western consumer , who never get enough from everything and means to find happiness in buying unneccesary things. When I see Germans in Chiang Mai eating bratwurst in the German bar restaurant wich looks like a copy of a Bayern "bierstubbe", than I wonder what they come to do in Thailand.

I visited an old friend up country where he lives in a little village with his Wife, her Kids and extended Family the other day, and frankly I was shocked!

He has gone completely Native......Dressing Thai, speaking Thai, eating Thai, waiing all over the place etc.

I asked my GF what the locals think of him. She told me that they laughed behind his back.

Now ain't that sad? There he is integrating himself to death, and they think it's funny.

And this got me thinking. At a time when Thailand is becoming more and more Westernized, what possible reason is there for us Farangs to go the other way?

By all means respect Thai customs, Religion etc, but keep your own for Gawd's sake!

I know, I know most of you do. But there are plenty of peeps who are losing their identity.

And I think it's a shame. Agreed?

He deserves to be mocked IMHO.

It's a pity we don't have some stocks or we could display him in the market square and pelt him with rotten fruit.

Seems fitting for his disgraceful behavior.

How anyone could go without their pith helmet, punkawallas and tiffin is quite beyond a gentleman such as myself.

Be careful my friend some feather brain will be taking your irony serious and accusing you of some unspeakable offence!!!

The guy probably from the west, suffering from identity loss, has because he had the balls, took the chance and showed his dissaffection with his own culture, decided to fit in with his surroundings and try to go Thai. I could have said native!!

More power to his elbow!

The highest sign of intellect is the abilty to successfully adapt to one's surroundings.

The question is. is he happier than some of the posters who make critical, mallicious and jugdmental comments within this forum?

Good for him!!

What is the culture tha

There's a couple of guys, of Indian origin, in Edinburgh that speak English and eat Haggis suppers. What idiots.

My Thai boss was in Scotland and shook peoples hands and drank whisky - man was he embarrassed when I told him he was being laughed at.

Speaking English....no problem

Eating Haggis.....I'm not so sure! :o

Hmmmmm. People get laughed at everywhere when their an outsider. They never or rarely fully understand the local custom. As another said, is it better to stay an outsider or to go native? Well, if you don't attempt to learn alittle and to fit in your looked at with contempt. Your rude in my opinion. So either way you can look at it in a negative light.

My wife for example, she moved to Khao Lak Thailand when I was overseas with the US Army. She had a heroin problem and went to thailand post Tsunami to do volunteer work and seek enlightenment. She went native so she says. She adopted buhhdism as her religion, teaches english at a hotel, is working on her TEFL, and is having an affair with a former buhhdist monk.

So yes, some people can take it to far. Never mind the fortune I spent on her drug rehab or that I loved her. Leave it to people, especially the weak minded and they will go to far.

But your friend who lives there and married local, I think if you marry local, and never plan to leave, than it is respectful that you try and assimilate yourself to your surroundings.

Well I have spent over 8 years in Thailand and 2 of those years as a Buddhist monk. I have seen it from all sides.

My experience is is your friend is more trying to impress Thais with his Thai ways they laugh..sometimes at him, sometimes with him for trying... but he will be looked at as a farang trying to be the "big man" on campus.

You can usually pick them out, they really enunciate their Thai words loud enough that pretty much everyone in the village can hear them, make a number of mistakes when they "wai" the wrong way to the wrong social order. A wai to the night market pad thai lady is embarassing because it means he has lowered his status below hers, even though his intention was to show respect to an elder... unless he personally knew her as a community leader, mother-in law etc.

The successful ones usually maintain at least 50% of their own cultural posture, learn enough of the language to speak fluently, the understand the culture to know when to wai, or bow when walking between two people or in front of them, the show respect to all things that are Thai, but maintain a sense of " I love and respect all things Thai, however I am a westerner and as proud of my culture as you are yours, therefore, I will always be me".

Thais respect this more.

Consider this?:

How would we look at a Thai man in full American Cowboy dress with hat speaking English with a western accent, Barvarian/German Lederhosen with a German accent and yodeling, or in the City of London dressed in pinstripes will brawly and bowlerhat and an east end accent?

JUST THE THOUGHT OF IT WILL BRING A SMILE.... so the Thais are not really much different than we are.

However, your friend might have gone a little over the top trying to be something he could obviously never fully be.

It is those few farang that so fully integrate that nobody knows they are not Thai.

Kind of like Mel Gibson...is he American or Aussie?

I can't say when I've had such a good laugh reading 22 pages of posts... I've been commenting back and forth to the wife of 20 years on some of the posts... We had a few good chuckles. I'll be retiring to either Lamphun or Lampang in a couple of years and that's as small a town as I'm willing to do. I have always tried to learn as much of the language in any country I've lived in. But I doubt that I'll ever speak Thai as well as a bright 4 year old. I've never found it to be an obstacle in dealing with the locals. I've found that most rural Thais I've met will in fact laugh at a farang's attempts at assimilation... But you know pretty quick when you've offended someone in the village you live in... Besides... If your Thai mate is worth 2 baht... He or She should be constantly schooling you... After all ...They lose face if you do by association.

My intention is to live very close to medium size town Thai style as possible for a couple of reasons... 1 being that it's a lot less of a strain on the bank account... and 2 being that I rather enjoy that level of lifestyle. I've done the Hi-So Bangkok thing and the Standard Bangkok thing and the Pattaya lowlife and the Phuket paradisian as well as the Northwest and Issan villager... My decision to become a solid middle of the roader is based on my need for some of the western necessities without the compression and high blood pressure of city life.

I've got a good friend who lives (way) outside of Khon Kaen and has gone about as native as I've ever seen over the last 20 years... He's happy as a tick on a dogs ear. He says it's like riding a bike when he pops into Seattle every 5 years or so. I also know lots of guys who've been in the villages since Vietnam and by and large they grouse about all the wannabes they're seeing these days.

All my rambling aside... I guess I'm saying that the OP's opinion of his "friend" is a bit wrongheaded but It sounds like the guy is happy for now. I'd suggest the OP stick to where he's most comfortable. I'd also venture the opinion that the village guy will outlast the OP in LOS. I sure wouldn't want to have to depend on my sister in law to tell me what my wife/gf is saying or thinking.

Edited by LucMee

I visited an old friend up country where he lives in a little village with his Wife, her Kids and extended Family the other day, and frankly I was shocked!

He has gone completely Native......Dressing Thai, speaking Thai, eating Thai, waiing all over the place etc.

I asked my GF what the locals think of him. She told me that they laughed behind his back.

Now ain't that sad? There he is integrating himself to death, and they think it's funny.

And this got me thinking. At a time when Thailand is becoming more and more Westernized, what possible reason is there for us Farangs to go the other way?

By all means respect Thai customs, Religion etc, but keep your own for Gawd's sake!

I know, I know most of you do. But there are plenty of peeps who are losing their identity.

i pose the question,

is it better to be like this guy and go native, or is it better to be a bar hoping drunk, hormonger at a sea side resort.?

ill answer that one so none of you guys get confused. :o

i'll go with the guy going native. :D

thank you very much. :D

Actually, thank you very much. As someone who may decide to "go native" in a year, I do hope to keep a balance to it. But you seem right on track to me. Although I have only visited for periods of 3-7 weeks at a time, I have pretty much seen all the degrees of this. You're right about the "bar hoping drunk, hormonger" type, who are respected by no one (except perhaps the Thais who cater to "bar hoping drunk, hormonger" types. I have a Thai family I know very well in the North, and they are appaled by the behavior of that type.

But let's see, the Thais living in America that I know have learned to adjust by shaking hands, speaking English, dressing American, etc. So why wouldn't we, if wise, do the same to some extent. My guess is that the original poster's example is someone who is making tons of mistakes in his effort to fit in. What I have seen over the years is that most Thais respect farang that show true interest in the culture and that make an honest effort at fitting in to a reasonable extent.

I have an old American friend who often works here for long periods on specific infrastructure projects as an advisor (for example, he was one for the new airport...sorry to say, perhaps). He makes no effort to fit in and I have met the few Thai "friends" he has. Most don't last long and it's probably because he continues to speak English at a level that all but a few Thais can't understand. They always feel left of his conversations, and then he wonders why, in a group setting, they all speak Thai among themselves and he feels left out. But they hang around him as long as the dinners and drinks flow.

I think (and hope) that the best advice is go Thai but be true to who you are. I think doing both is possible.

But, if you just want to be American (or British or German or whatever) and not fit in, then why stay?

Gwertz, I basically agree. The middle ground as in Buddhist thought is a very good way to go. I love Thailand, I really do, or I would not be here, but I realize I will never be a Thai, and Thais would never see me as a Thai even if I wanted to. It is not like America where you can become American in a few years. And accepted as such with full legal rights. Vive la difference.

It is far more dignified to accept what one cannot change. And farangs cannot be Thai. End of story. Maybe next life?

yes......no matter how good our thai or what we will never be Thai to them......and I think that if we change our nationality to thai we would lose their respect.... they all look up to farangs...or at least want what they suppose to be the farang lifestyle...so if we change nationality we have given up what most of them want...they wouldn't understand that..

I have gone native....sure....I learnt thai whilst visiting here from Hongkong in seven trips in two years..... so i speak almost exclusively thai

I live in a thai house with my wife and her parents and our two kids (just knocked it down and rebuilt a brick house last year...200 sq.m.)

I eat the local food...well some of it...not too spicy.....but like the central thai dishes more (with coconut milk)

I introduced my kids/wife/family to many western foods which we all like...and my wife enjoys cooking....pizza/spagetti/bread/cheese/casserole/french fries/baked potatoes/salad/stew/roast chicken (stuffed & cooked in oven with roast potatoes)

I like to wear the fisherman style pants with the tie waist cord...very baggy/comfortable...I wear the burmese sarong around the house or for sleeping....I stopped wearing undies 15 years ago when I started riding a big motorcycle around touring (they get very uncomfortable)

I love bucket baths...we have a hot shower (got it when the wife was pregnant) the kids use it more than I

I smile a lot.....every day I think how lucky I am to come here and 'bump' into Buddhism...and everyone smiles back

and I don't care if anyone laughs behind my back.....that is one asian thing I don't want to acquire....the 'face' thing

How would we look at a Thai man in full American Cowboy dress with hat speaking English with a western accent, Barvarian/German Lederhosen with a German accent and yodeling, or in the City of London dressed in pinstripes will brawly and bowlerhat and an east end accent?

JUST THE THOUGHT OF IT WILL BRING A SMILE.... so the Thais are not really much different than we are.

Very good point :o

<<<is it better to be like this guy and go native, or is it better to be a bar hoping drunk, hormonger at a sea side resort.?>>>

Why do you think these two extremes are the only two options? How about somewhere in the middle? I too see a lot farangs who improperly wai, butcher the Thai language, and a slew of other cultural missteps and I see Thai people laughing at them too. It is a sign of trying too hard to be someone they aren't.

Learn the language, eat the food, and at least try to learn the tiniest bit of what a Buddhist country is about and the Thai people will appreciate and respect us more than if we try and be a 100% Thai person, which we aren't.

Luckydog you are my hero. How do you do it? You find this tiny little scab and pick at it in just the right way and get massive numbers. At last count 326/7358 and still going strong. The best I could do was 5216. They should promote you to SUPERDOG member. You play the game well. This is all a kin to watching WWF on television. Nobody could be as thick as many of these guys pretend to be.

However, your friend might have gone a little over the top trying to be something he could obviously never fully be.

It is those few farang that so fully integrate that nobody knows they are not Thai.

Kind of like Mel Gibson...is he American or Aussie?

Ever see the guy in Chatujak market selling farang clothes and playing country music...Looks like a pretty good ol'boy judging from his cowboy hat. I did not notice if he was chewy tobacco or not. He does have a big belt buckle and cowboy boots. I should of shook hands with him and gave him something from Dodge City, my hometown. I bet he would get a kick out of it. Tell him Festus and Matt Dillion said hello.

Chung *j*

i pose the question,

is it better to be like this guy and go native, or is it better to be a bar hoping drunk, hormonger at a sea side resort.?

ill answer that one so none of you guys get confused. :o

i'll go with the guy going native. :D

thank you very much. :D

i resent that

i happen to like being a whoremunger :D

Blackjack says he is a Whoremonger!

Well, as long as he is a good one, at least he wont be sneered at behind his back!

And I will repeat one last time for the benefit of you gits who fail to see my point.

One can enjoy the Beach, without going into the Sea for a swim.........KO?

Edited by Luckydog