Forum upgrade in progress! ×

I thought healthcare in Thailand was supposed to be cheap?

Startmeup

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes 30 minutes is fast but an hour to two is normal most places.  Still feel that a check up or diagnostic patient should not have to wait a month for routine blood test results.  Especially when cancer is in the name.

Who said diagnostic patients have to wait a month.

If you do not want to wait a month there is an obvious solution, pay more.

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

When it came to make a claim, they accused me of trying to defraud them and cancelled my policy! 

Never saw the other thread but not surprised to hear of an insurance company wriggling out of its obligations.

This is the reason I self insure. When they cheated my mother out of a big pay out on my fathers death I vowed I would never give them a scent of my money.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

i get a very thorough clean for 600 baht

Thank you, someone has now come forward and stated a price that they get their teeth cleaned for, which is 600 Baht. My dentist charges for the same clean just over 3,000 Baht for a 10 minute procedure.

My wife's aunt currently on a holiday from living in Sweden, but using a different dentist to me, had to have her teeth cleaned and it took 3 appointments and they charged her 10,000 Baht. No joke. Hence why I say they're crooks. Cleaning teeth is money for old rope.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Thank you, someone has now come forward and stated a price that they get their teeth cleaned for, which is 600 Baht. My dentist charges for the same clean just over 3,000 Baht for a 10 minute procedure.

My wife's aunt currently on a holiday from living in Sweden, but using a different dentist to me, had to have her teeth cleaned and it took 3 appointments and they charged her 10,000 Baht. No joke. Hence why I say they're crooks. Cleaning teeth is money for old rope.

why don't you ask the price first, schoolboy error not doing that

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Try brushing and flossing now and then and avoid the hazard pay...

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I did ask the price first and I was told that it was a fixed price for a first appointment with treatment.

You need a figure, not a vague answer like that, your dentist is a scam artist. Put a complaint in at OPC

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Did that include planographic x-ray? 

No. They didn't do an x-ray until my second appointment. It took 3 of of them to actually get the machine to work properly if they actually did as I was shown no x-ray.

What they actually took an x-ray for I dunno as all I went there for was to replace a crown that had come adrift.

Ps. I dunno what a planographic x-ray is.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

No. They didn't do an x-ray until my second appointment. It took 3 of of them to actually get the machine to work properly if they actually did as I was shown no x-ray.

What they actually took an x-ray for I dunno as all I went there for was to replace a crown that had come adrift.

Crowns normally fail because of decay below so expect x-ray was to make sure everything copasetic before refit.

3k for basic cleaning would be on very high side but expect took more than 10 minutes to do.  

Do not believe most say Thailand is cheap - often cheaper than where we come from - but many times not by much.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/4/2023 at 4:52 PM, Felton Jarvis said:

Thailand is cheaper compared to the United States.  That does not mean that you can't run up a bill that you will have difficulty paying.  I wish we ALL had access to a system like the UK's NHS.

I had blood work for a standard physical in the US. It came to $3,500 usd (that’s what they billed the insurance company). That’s just for the labs, no treatments. It made me so nervous I did not want the physicals anymore in case I was billed for something not covered. 

Imagine what the whole exam costs.

Now imagine what it costs if you go in for something serious.

Stop complaining.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 2:11 PM, Sheryl said:

There is no such thing as a generic "blood test".

Blood tests are specific and cover a huge range, from ones that can be performed  with minimal training using  nothing more than a centrifuge to ones requiring very expensive and complex imported equipment and even some that have to be sent abroad.

Discussion of blood test costs are meaningless unless the test(s) is specified.

Hi Sheryl, as someone who has radically improved health and fitness in the past few years (last full blood panel 12 mos. ago everything normal), I would like to go deeper with a blood test with markers. There is discussion later in this thread about advanced blood panels, and one recommendation was made of Bangkok RIA group. Can you recommend a lab in Bangkok where one can get LDL-P (particle count), small LDL-P, LDL size, etc...  Thanks.

7 hours ago, keemapoot said:

Hi Sheryl, as someone who has radically improved health and fitness in the past few years (last full blood panel 12 mos. ago everything normal), I would like to go deeper with a blood test with markers. There is discussion later in this thread about advanced blood panels, and one recommendation was made of Bangkok RIA group. Can you recommend a lab in Bangkok where one can get LDL-P (particle count), small LDL-P, LDL size, etc...  Thanks.

No, I don't.

You could try asking Bria.

On 3/27/2023 at 5:19 PM, USEpat said:

Been using Thai dentists exclusively for twelve years.  A third or less than U.S. prices. Quick, the latest technology, easy access.

I've been using Thai dentists for 25 years. I'm happy with the work and costs, (although starting to go up). I've had crowns, bridges, RCT's, fillings, and am in the middle of having an implant. The secret, I think, is to use female dentists. They don't have the problems of "face", "machoism", and racism that male dentists often have.

On 3/9/2023 at 6:47 PM, Denim said:

Never saw the other thread but not surprised to hear of an insurance company wriggling out of its obligations.

This is the reason I self insure. When they cheated my mother out of a big pay out on my fathers death I vowed I would never give them a scent of my money.

Why would they want to smell your money?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, crouchpeter said:

I've been using Thai dentists for 25 years. I'm happy with the work and costs, (although starting to go up). I've had crowns, bridges, RCT's, fillings, and am in the middle of having an implant. The secret, I think, is to use female dentists. They don't have the problems of "face", "machoism", and racism that male dentists often have.

I think you're right.  My dentists in Thailand have all been women.

• Agree 1

• 9 months later...
On 3/2/2023 at 5:56 PM, Startmeup said:

2. Quote for a Dexa body composition scan.

Australia including short consult - 2300 baht

Vejthani Hospital incl consult - starts from 7000-8000 baht

Trying to find other prices, anyone?

This place appears to be advertising 3500 baht (under the photo at the bottom right).

https://www.bdmswellness.com/en/packages-promotions/dexa-scan