the ideal dual 3-prong socket for a kitchen

mahjongguy

Sorry. I completely failed to make my point.

The two sockets need to be reversed from each other, as in the fake photo I posted. This allows plugging in two kitchen appliances (which often have 90-degree "flat" plugs).

They are rare but they do exist. Great for phone chargers too.

photo_2023-03-09_08-29-22.jpg

33 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

The two sockets need to be reversed from each other, as in the fake photo I posted. This allows plugging in two kitchen appliances (which often have 90-degree "flat" plugs).

You can buy individual sockets and reverse one, or as I did, get an adaptor so one plug is proud of the other.

In the photo above, see the bread crumbs on top of the toaster? The chrome panel is grounded via the ground prong on the plug. My voltohmmeter says so.

And the hot pot next to it, also from Electrolux, also has exposed metal parts and all connect to the house ground via the 3-prong Euro plug.

Naturally a cheaper product may not be so well designed.

As for replacing the plugs with straight-on USA style, that often puts the appliance's cord dangling over the toaster or the fryer. That's why it is kitchen stuff that most often has 90-degree plugs. 

Changing the sockets, not the plugs, also can sometimes help cure the problem caused by phone chargers and other combo plug/transformers. These are usually only 2-prong but their size and shape can render useless 1 of 2  or 2 of 4 sockets.

1 hour ago, mahjongguy said:

Yep same problem....whole house is fitted with these.....only good for connections that go straight into the plug...not at 90.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Would you not be better cutting off those European plugs, which are NOT earthed, and fitting Thai style ones where the cable comes straight out, not at an angle?

They are the new Thai standard 3 pin plugs.

image.jpeg.34f71a795b01bd4eb8ce0c47acb912da.jpeg

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

Actually no they don’t need to be either reversed or vertical 

4C366E39-D28A-42AA-A406-9783AC7B7AF4.jpeg.7426c50ab5c2f2351314af8b6e20d190.jpeg

they do have to be separated by enough space to allow for the tails

37 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Can you buy them to put on your own appliances?

Yes the plugs are available, though probably not with a side entry

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Would you not be better cutting off those European plugs, which are NOT earthed, and fitting Thai style ones where the cable comes straight out, not at an angle?

Schuko plugs come in 2 variations though the overwhelming number of them I with my appliances ARE earthed

C02E4AC4-971F-4B5B-B436-1B4B27974BC2.jpeg.a5b7bc1f27e502127bd37b04157c2b9e.jpeg

though probably not with a side entry  

I believe Thai Watsadu sell "self assemble" sockets. ie. you buy a socket outer that has space for 2 (or 3) sockets inside it and these sockets are bought separately and snapped into place. You can orient one to the left and one to the right.

Here are some examples of what I mean. I'm not 100% sure you can reverse the sockets, so do check first.

https://www.thaiwatsadu.com/th/product/เต้ารับ-3-ขา-1-ช่อง-HACO-รุ่น-AP-E10-ALPHA-สีขาว-60314329?cate=610602

https://www.thaiwatsadu.com/th/product/เต้ารับเดี่ยวมีกราวน์-3-ขา-HACO-รุ่น-AP-E132-16A-250V-ALPHA-สีขาว-60314332?cate=610601

https://www.thaiwatsadu.com/th/product/แผงหน้ากาก-2-ช่อง-ALPHA-HACO-รุ่น-HACO-AP-F002-ขนาด-8-x-12-ซม-สีขาว-60314352?cate=610601