Z4 M40i - almost 2 years in

pedro01

I thought I'd give an update on the sporty Beemer I got for the wife as it's almost 2 years in.

We had one problem with it - engine light came on and they sent a low-loader for it - turned out to be bad fuel. It's happened a few times since, so if the engine light goes on after refueling, we largely ignore it as it goes away with refills. 

It's a bit like 2 cars. In comfort mode, it behaves well and drives like a shopping trolley. In Sport+ mode, it turns into a beast and the back end slips and slides. The traction control basically doesn't do much - so you have to drive it like an old RWD without traction - point it where you want and then power down - but not too much because the back end will slide even in a straight line. To some that's horrific (like my mate when he drove it and goosed the gas too much and the back really went out, as did his bottle).

It is very fast - 0-100 in under 4 seconds and my other car does it in 4.7 and you can really tell the difference. The exhaust burps and gurgles and starting it up scares the birds from the trees. 

So far, so good. It's comfortable, it's impractical, it's like a go-kart. Imagine an old style mini with almost 400hp and you get the idea of how much fun it is. The roof closes in 10 seconds and can close under 50kmh, so if it starts to rain, you don't have to mess around. 

The engine is jointly designed with Toyota, and is in their  GR 3.0L Supra (also 5 million), so I am hoping that once we are out of warrantly, getting non BMW parts won't be a big problem. I can't see us letting this car go - it's just too much fun and a future classic, plus other Z4 owners give you a wave when you pass one.

In terms of trips - I've driven it to Koh Chang and Samui so far - and it was comfortable on the long drives, although the temptation to floor it was such that I wouldn't want to do those trips too regular.

Terrible investment - but then it wasn't an investment - but for sheer fun, I don't think there's anything for the price that would come close to the entertainment value of the car. So I'm happy with it - especially as I still have my 'mans car' and can take the hairdresser's car just when I want some fun.

I'd definitely advise it. The 718 Boxter is a few 10ths of a second faster off the mark - but with the price difference, the BMW could ALMOST be described as a bargain. 

My son has a BM in UK a M140i sports hatch has the twin turbo 6 pot BM engine the best they have made IMO, he luvs it and has just done a stage 2 engine upgrade. 

He wouldn't by one here for me.????

On 3/7/2023 at 10:10 AM, Kwasaki said:

My son has a BM in UK a M140i sports hatch has the twin turbo 6 pot BM engine the best they have made IMO, he luvs it and has just done a stage 2 engine upgrade. 

He wouldn't by one here for me.????

Cool car - has he had any issues with it since owning it?

3 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Cool car - has he had any issues with it since owning it?

No none whatsoever, his mate is a BM mechanic and they keep to service intervals and tuned it together the boss of the BM garage is a friendly guy, so my son lucky he can keep it in tip top condition. 

My son services his R1 motorbike at there garage to. ????

His going to keep it until all electric car become compulsory in UK where he lives and then only will go for a Tesla or better model's whatever available when the time comes.

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

No none whatsoever, his mate is a BM mechanic and they keep to service intervals and tuned it together the boss of the BM garage is a friendly guy, so my son lucky he can keep it in tip top condition. 

My son services his R1 motorbike at there garage to. ????

His going to keep it until all electric car become compulsory in UK where he lives and then only will go for a Tesla or better model's whatever available when the time comes.

Can I ask how old it is?

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Can I ask how old it is?

Not sure it's one of the last ones made as the new one changed to 4 cylinder as far as i know.

He sold his 320d and bought it. 

I'll ask him. 

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My son just got back to me 2019 his motor is they changed the models engine in 2020. 

Good to know that it's lasted - my experience with locally built BMW's has not been stellar.

3 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Good to know that it's lasted - my experience with locally built BMW's has not been stellar.

I don't know about that stuff both his BM's in UK were faultless he will probably buy an all electric BM when he has to with him hoping it has the same kick.

5 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

No doors? That's a novelty - how do you stay in it around bends?

Same same, closed.

You sit very low in that thing. It has a very low center of gravity and high corner speed.

00_00_02_BE587D75-8F01-4F31-A9FB-A9038A0

Edited by OneMoreFarang

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Same same, closed.

You sit very low in that thing. It has a very low center of gravity and high corner speed.

00_00_02_BE587D75-8F01-4F31-A9FB-A9038A0

That's a beautiful car for sure -  a real classic

• Like 1