How much and where to get 20ft container from Melbourne (oz) to BKK ?

skippybangkok

16 hours ago, skippybangkok said:

My sister has Hamptons furniture, house looks nice. cant seem to find here, and thinking about using her sources and ship over here. Anyone know a container price ?

Hamptons are, very obviously, the only ones to ask.

Import duty is likely 20%, plus 7% VAT (CIF)...

https://www.moneymgmnt.com/tax/minimising-customs-duty-import-tax-thailand/

Edited by Liverpool Lou

14 hours ago, Danny Australia said:

I tried to ship a container from Perth to Pattaya but quickly gave up on the idea for many reasons. Firstly, prices vary depending on whether you want packing included, insurance, transportation to Port in Australia, delivery at destination and (other charges that they did not specify). The final straw to me was when I read the below which I am sharing here. The quote was for AU$19,000 door to door for 20 foot container but was also told that my retirement visa does not entitle me to import duty exemption. The agent here said that their partner agent in Thailand will try to overcome this hurdle for a fee that was not specified. Eventually, I decided it would be cheaper to buy new stuff in Thailand for that amount instead of shipping used household items with no guarantee of duty exemption. Below is an extract from the quote I received.

------------------

**Thai Customs allow import duty exemption for general used household goods and personal effects only. Any luxury items such as pianos/musical instruments/pool table/excessive number of rugs/bicycles/golf clubs/brand new items (especially electrical) or when there is more than one of each item this can incur import duties.**

Returning Thai can get an exemption based on the above conditions. They need to have lived abroad for more than 12 consecutive months.

Foreigners need to hold a work permit to be granted duty free entry

BUDDHA-RELATED items will need an import permit.

BUDDHA HEADS or non-full body Buddhas will be denied import.

CUSTOMS CLEARANCE IN THAILAND

Once the shipment arrives in Bangkok we will need to collect  original passport and work permit from your client for the clearance (we will need to keep it with Customs for 3 - 5 days), so please keep in mind that your client will need to be in Thailand during the arrival of the shipment. If your client lives upcountry, they will need to send us the original by post/courier.

Documents Required

• Original passport 
  • Packing list
  • Work permit (foreigners)
  • Copy ID card - both sides (returning citizens)
  • 90 day business class visa (non-Thai immigrants)
  • Diplomatic privileges approval issued by Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand

All that relates to importing personal items, not purchasing new items overseas and having them shipped here, big difference.

• Confused 1