Koh Chang Hotel recommendations

EVENKEEL

I want to visit for a few days, hotel on the beach, walking to bars and restaurants. Taking the ole lady  and kid, looking for a maybe 4 star joint. We'll have a car but don't really want to drive except for sightseeing. Would like a nice room close to everything and a nice beach.

Probably looking in the 2700-3000thb/nt range.

Edited by EVENKEEL

1 hour ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

We stayed at Dewa Koh Chang back in December and we enjoyed it. Right on the beach and waking distance to a few shops and restaurants. We found that we used the car in the evenings to go to specific restaurants.

Looks nice, will check out further.

57 minutes ago, steven100 said:

was there years ago,  stayed right on the beach .... there are plenty to choose from,  just rock up and drive along the beach stretch and see one you like.  2500 baht maximum ....

If I was solo I'd do you suggest. Prices should be lower if done online, I'd think.

• Like 1

Santhiya Tree is very nice and comes in just under 2,500 via Booking.com

Walking distance to bars may be an issue but the rest of it more than compensates.

https://santhiyatreekohchang.bookengine.com/hotel-detail?hid=74&checkin=2023-06-13&checkout=2023-06-14&adults[]=2&childrens[]=0&utm_content=localuniversal_13-06-2023_1_16445938283619629139H13286461904562652736_TH_desktop_default__&is_ad=false

Edited by nigelforbes

KC Grande Resort is ideally situated but as I see it is still at 140 euros a night right now.

Erawan on White sand beach is my regular Koh Chang Hotel. Not right on the beach (80 metres from the Beach) but therefore better internet and better value for money overall as you're not paying for front beach view. Ask a room facing away from the street for zero noise. You're close to White Sand walking street.

On Klong Prao Beach a couple of good resorts are ruined because of the racket caused by Chai Chet resort nearly every night. Flora I Talay is somewhat far enough from Chai Chet for the noise not to be deafening but the only good rooms are the very expensive ones with front sea view. The other, cheaper rooms are bunkers.

I liked my stay at Anna Resort before covid. You need a car or a motorcycle here because you're near a stretch of the main road where there's nothing. The hotel is on a river so they give you kayaks to paddle by yourself to the beach (Klong Prao), which is fun.

Having not been there before it's hard to gauge which beach is best but White Sand Beach should be a safe bet because it's the most polular. Some good recommendations which I've checked out. One of the things here in Thailand is it's not common to have say 2 queen beds or 1 queen and a smaller bed for kid. So picking a hotel is also based on number of beds available.

28 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Santhiya Tree is very nice and comes in just under 2,500 via Booking.com

Walking distance to bars may be an issue but the rest of it more than compensates.

https://santhiyatreekohchang.bookengine.com/hotel-detail?hid=74&checkin=2023-06-13&checkout=2023-06-14&adults[]=2&childrens[]=0&utm_content=localuniversal_13-06-2023_1_16445938283619629139H13286461904562652736_TH_desktop_default__&is_ad=false

They had a free shuttle back and forward when I was there. 10 or 15 minute walk each way otherwise but no lights at night.

• Like 1

I recommend Kacha if high season rates. Probably no 2 to KC Grande at White Sand Beach. A little less fancy but nice rooms, nice pools, and lovely breakfast and restaurant on the beach. More central than KC Grande too with a small night market right outside. White Sand Beach is nice too because of the trees for shade and no rocks to the right of the hotel.

K C Grande is nice but it is worth paying more to be on the beach side as the feel of the rooms on the other side not nearly as nice. On the other hand the hillside rooms at Kacha are cheaper and quite good as long as you ask for a higher floor and facing the pool not the street. They have always given me what I asked for.

Other good options are the Emerald Cove though a bit of a walk to the main part of town and Seaview which is extremely beautiful amongst the forest and has it's own bit of beach. Breakfast is fantastic looking over the bay. 10 minutes walk to town on the beach if low tide or cheap taxi to Kae Bai if not. That was the hotel that had the problem when someone complained. 

I would book before hand as it will likely be cheaper and some of the hotels on white sand beach for example look ok but are pretty crappy inside.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

If you're staying at White Sands, I would recommend Kacha Resort (bungalows on the beach are very good) , KC Grande, or Mack Resort if you want cheap and cheerful (w/ underground parking opposite the hotel).

All great for families and within walking distance to the bars, restaurants, shops, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 3:03 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I recommend Kacha if high season rates. Probably no 2 to KC Grande at White Sand Beach. A little less fancy but nice rooms, nice pools, and lovely breakfast and restaurant on the beach. More central than KC Grande too with a small night market right outside. White Sand Beach is nice too because of the trees for shade and no rocks to the right of the hotel.

K C Grande is nice but it is worth paying more to be on the beach side as the feel of the rooms on the other side not nearly as nice. On the other hand the hillside rooms at Kacha are cheaper and quite good as long as you ask for a higher floor and facing the pool not the street. They have always given me what I asked for.

Other good options are the Emerald Cove though a bit of a walk to the main part of town and Seaview which is extremely beautiful amongst the forest and has it's own bit of beach. Breakfast is fantastic looking over the bay. 10 minutes walk to town on the beach if low tide or cheap taxi to Kae Bai if not. That was the hotel that had the problem when someone complained. 

I would book before hand as it will likely be cheaper and some of the hotels on white sand beach for example look ok but are pretty crappy inside.

Staying at Kacha, good choice. High season with 2 beds is pricey everywhere. Stayed hillside still 3500 thb

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 8:11 AM, huangnon said:

If you're staying at White Sands, I would recommend Kacha Resort (bungalows on the beach are very good) , KC Grande, or Mack Resort if you want cheap and cheerful (w/ underground parking opposite the hotel).

All great for families and within walking distance to the bars, restaurants, shops, etc.

Kacha is great, thanks