Why do some people keep saying Thailand is a very conservative country when it comes to skimpy outfits ?

Chanthea

10 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

When I lived in Loei, a woman down the street would sit on her front porch topless during hot weather.  ... That was in 1978 and she was probably 75  years old.

My wifes grandmother, 94 when she died, had no problem sitting outside topless.

Not I would have to say the most appealing sight, but at 94 who gives a sh**t what folks think

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

When I lived in Loei, a woman down the street would sit on her front porch topless during hot weather.  ... That was in 1978 and she was probably 75  years old.

She remembers pre 1940 when women would be normally topless walking about

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/13/2023 at 2:26 PM, scorecard said:

I read in a history book on Thailand that when King Chululangkorn went to Europe he noticed that all women wore blouses etc., they weren't topless, and this prompted a decree that women should cover up their breasts.

In fact several things he noticed in Europe prompted him to introduce the same at home in Thailand like: railways, education and bread. He apparently ate some bread in Europe and liked it and back at home, so the story goes, he asked his chefs to make it from his description. His chefs apparently thought it was a type of cake so a lot of sugar added, which is why the bread you can buy in some older style Thai bakeries is quite sweet, so the story goes.  

I showed my wife this, and she also knew the story.

In 20+ years together we never talked about this, so definitely made for some dinner table discussion

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

maybe ladyboys, who like going braless. The only other exception is when they go out in the morning in pajamas

you mustn't get away from the area you live very often. I've seen this in BKK, Pattaya, Phuket, Krabi, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Tak, Phrao, Phayao and other areas and most of them were NOT in their pj's and definitely NOT ladyboys. Some of my wife's bff's NEVER wear a bra.

31 minutes ago, Alidiver said:

You can't really compare Pattaya with the rest of Thailand

True but i have seen local thai girls wearing skimpy outfits in other cities like Bangkok, Phuket, and even in Issan cities like Udon Thani.

11 hours ago, Chanthea said:

True but i have seen local thai girls wearing skimpy outfits in other cities like Bangkok, Phuket, and even in Issan cities like Udon Thani.

I think it's really the cities versus rural Thailand.

In the end the youngsters will always push the envelope, as the young always should