New Engine/Trans Vigo

I've had my Vigo since new in 2013 and I like it, at 73 I can't see me wanting to sell it and buy a new one. The engine has 152k on the clock, it's a 4 door auto. It runs well because it's been taken care of and serviced regularly, just like me! ????

But the time will come where I will need to do something, it's not getting any younger. I wouldn't trust an engine/trans rebuilder here but I would trust Toyota to put a new engine and trans in which I reckon shouldn't be too expensive.

My question is, has anyone done this with brand new kit from Toyota and if so, what are the ballpark costs, please?

There are plenty of garages who can easily work on a toyota pickup. They drag race them here, so its easy to find garages to work on them. I don't know even if toyota would want to , or could, source and insall a new engine. The price could well make it exhorbitant. as others sai, 152K is nothing on a well maintained pickup. It could well go 400-500K before it needed any major work. 

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, transam said:

I sold my Vigo auto at 11.5 years old, not worth the expense of 11.5 year old stuff going wrong.....

Your truck wasn't a workhorse I don't think OP's truck is either.

Your motor would of lastest you 30 years or more having seen it was like when you sold it. 

There's many Toyota's in our village the one before the Vigo that are neglected and some that get looked after and are like new. 

Todays wheels if look after and kept will be a lot cheaper than changing motors if people want to do it, I will certainly not be changing my truck. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Your truck wasn't a workhorse I don't think OP's truck is either.

Your motor would of lastest you 30 years or more having seen it was like when you sold it. 

There's many Toyota's in our village the one before the Vigo that are neglected and some that get looked after and are like new. 

Todays wheels if look after and kept will be a lot cheaper than changing motors if people want to do it, I will certainly not be changing my truck. 

How much is a replacement auto trans, turbo, or anything else with an ageing truck, even the cam belt must be changed at 150k or you may a  have catastrophe, though they have now solved that, the 2.8 has a chain.....????

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The only thing I would consider replacing on a preventative maintenance regime is the wiper blades, tires and battery.

Really, after only 152,000 km. I would never have thought they would need to be replaced.   555

Preventative maintenance means checking ALL fluids, tyre pressures, keeping the vehicle clean, and taking it for its service when that is necessary.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, transam said:

How much is a replacement auto trans, turbo, or anything else with an ageing truck, even the cam belt must be changed at 150k or you may a  have catastrophe, though they have now solved that, the 2.8 has a chain.....????

Not as much to get sorted these days as buying another truck. 

That said I did go manual gearbox when I bought another truck but to save 40,000 although I would of still kept my auto Vigo if the situation had of been different at the time. 

4 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I've had my Vigo since new in 2013 and I like it, at 73 I can't see me wanting to sell it and buy a new one. The engine has 152k on the clock, it's a 4 door auto. It runs well because it's been taken care of and serviced regularly, just like me! ????

Mine is 2012 and coming up for its 230,000 km service, which has been done at the Toyota dealers every time, and I probably paid over the top for it. BUT, nothing has ever gone wrong with it, NOTHING, and it just keeps on running.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Mine is 2012 and coming up for its 230,000 km service, which has been done at the Toyota dealers every time, and I probably paid over the top for it. BUT, nothing has ever gone wrong with it, NOTHING, and it just keeps on running.

Ditto.

18 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

@ 152k it is barely run in !!

Expect to pay somewhere around 200k for a long block from Toyota.

Ordinarily one wouldn't do that you get the failure of the engine fixed or have it reconditioned.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1