Does leaving 4G on AIS all the time cost money?

up2you2

I think that leaving mobile data on all the time by itself may use a tiny amount of the monthly data allowance, but this should be negligible.

It would use more if the apps updated automatically using mobile data. That can be switched off so that apps update only when using wifi.

Then there are some apps that may use some data even when they are not active. I think they can also be switched to use data only when being actively used or while on wifi.

I think it is possible to configure a phone to minimize data usage when not wanted and still leave mobile data on. Turning it off works, but it's kind of the nuclear option.

22 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Turning it off works, but it's kind of the nuclear option.

Do you not simply pull down at the top of the phone screen when you will get icons for WiFI, Data, etc etc. Turn the data OFF. Or it can be done in SETTINGS.

The phone needs 4G to receive phone calls.

Edited by KannikaP

39 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Do you not simply pull down at the top of the phone screen when you will get icons for WiFI, Data, etc etc. Turn the data OFF. Or it can be done in SETTINGS.

The phone needs 4G to receive phone calls.

Mrs. Shrdlu refers to mobile data as "4G", so I assumed that the OP meant mobile data. I don't think my iPhone has a setting to specifically disable 4G and run on 3G or some other standard. At least I'm not aware of it.

I don't think turning off mobile data will prevent reception of regular phone calls, but will likely prevent calls over LINE, Skype, Whatsapp, etc.

I keep mobile data on since I do receive calls over LINE and Skype, but I do disable mobile data for specific apps that I do not want to use my data plan.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, up2you2 said:

Sorry if this sounds a dumb question, but seemingly my Lady is saying that leaving 4G on all time on the AIS package she's on, costs money.

How much is she asking for?

Which package is she on now?

Some providers here actually offer free unlimited LDR (128 Kbps). Or they did.

There are fixed bandwidth/unlimited volume plans, and unlimited bandwidth/fixed volume plans, generally speaking.

You can find a 30 Mbps/unlimited volume SIM for One Year, for 1,690 (DTAC, on promotion as low as 1,390).

https://www.tree-mobile.com/product/ซิมเทพ30mbps

Without a plan it used to be 1 baht per MB