Travel to UK with child different surname

Hi, my children have Thai and UK passports. I will travel to the UK with them (and without their father), they have a different surname to me. I have certified translations of their Thai birth certificates. Will this be sufficient? Or would I need the translations notarised too? Their father will sign a consent letter. Thanks, 

When my wife and I (grandparents) took our grandson to the UK recently, we needed apply for a visa in the childs name which took longer than my wifes. To apply we had to have a letter from the school director agreeing with him being away from lessons. We also needed a letter from Amphur office stating they agreed with him going overseas. These were applied for by both of his parents. Our son and his partner.  We also needed agreement consent letters from both parents seperately. These all had to be translated.

We also had to do the usual sponsor letter etc

We did get a visa for him and went to the UK. HOWEVER, take these documents with you as Check-in and Thai immigration at Bangkok wanted see them even though had visa. AND upon arrival in London. Looks like they checking on possible child trafficking.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, generealty said:

When my wife and I (grandparents) took our grandson to the UK recently, we needed apply for a visa in the childs name which took longer than my wifes. To apply we had to have a letter from the school director agreeing with him being away from lessons. We also needed a letter from Amphur office stating they agreed with him going overseas. These were applied for by both of his parents. Our son and his partner.  We also needed agreement consent letters from both parents seperately. These all had to be translated.

We also had to do the usual sponsor letter etc

We did get a visa for him and went to the UK. HOWEVER, take these documents with you as Check-in and Thai immigration at Bangkok wanted see them even though had visa. AND upon arrival in London. Looks like they checking on possible child trafficking.

Thank you, this is helpful. Yes, I have the letter from the amphur (translated) and consent letter from the father. I expect that they will check on both sides.

3 hours ago, mja1906 said:

Or would I need the translations notarised too? Their father will sign a consent letter. Thanks,

If the children are minor – i.e. under 20 years old – you will need a certificate from the amphor district office, signed by the Thai parent, for each child, that allows you to take the child out of Thailand.

The certificate looks like this, which I had for my child...

1624962862_Amphor-travel-letter-2018copy.jpg.591312ebbf86598c6011a709c1474159.jpg

If the children have dual nationality, you might need to use foreign passport for check-in on an airline if traveling to a country, where Thai nationals needs a visa. In the immigration when departing Thailand show only the Thai passport and if asked for it, the certificate from the Thai parent – in your case signed by the father – and when arriving abroad you will use the foreign passport. When later re-entering Thailand, show only the Thai passport, which holds the Thai departure stamp.

• Like 1

A bit different as my wife travels to Thailand with our son (both have Thai/British citizenship and dual passports) both have same surname and I have to provide a letter that I consent to him travelling out of the country, which she can show if requested. Including a copy of his birth certificate etc. Details in the Government website below.  Once we forget and she was questioned at airport and almost didn’t make her flight. ????

https://www.gov.uk/permission-take-child-abroad#:~:text=The letter should include the,is different from the child's

Edited by Dazkkk

Many (nearly forty) years ago I and my Thai wife and her daughter (now my step-daughter) relocated to the UK. My wife already had a British passport. We needed yes a letter from the natural father (I think a few thousand baht changed hands but I didn't enquire ???? ) and a statement from my bank that I was solvent that went to the British embassy. We also transalted all the birth and marriage certificates - the Brit Embassy told us which ones they accepted (don't try and find somebody cheaper to do it as I did first as the Embassy will reject it). My daughter already had a Thai passport. I think that was all we needed. Yes she had a different surname from my both my wife and I.