Panic on Bangkok bound train - driver faints when coming into southern station

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that there was panic on a Bangkok bound train when its driver fainted as they were coming into Thung Song station in Nakhon Srithammarat, southern Thailand.

Fortunately the quick actions of the driver's mate in stopping the train averted a disaster.

Driver Jakkrit, 50, was given CPR in the cab and came round after the incident yesterday evening at 6.15 in Pak Phraek sub-district.

The assistant said that Jakkrit had driven the train from Kantang in Trang and they were headed for Bangkok.

The driver has an existing condition that has flared up but is now safe and sound in Thung Song Hospital.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-03-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

His preexisting condition might not have been an issue for his job at the time.  It is possible to have a medical condition which unfortunately gets worse over time. 
Good thing the train was stopped.  It could maybe have been equipped with an automatic braking system.  But the assistant took action immediately before that were to happen 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

And the obvious question whether the train driver was mandated to take the jabs in order to keep his job was not addressed. 

Are you daring to cast aspersions toward the trusted jibby jabs?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Do Thai trains not have a dead man control ? better than a dead man IN control. :coffee1:

This has been mentioned several times before. The answer is YES they DO. But several times it's been discovered there's a brick or whatever holding the dead mans pedal down permenantly.

Bound to happen.

Another example, when the BTS maintenace depot was first used there was an accident with a train (unattended) running out of the shed and onto the tracks and 1 or 2 folks killed.

It was discovered that there was a serious safety protocol regarading the locking of the door to the shed.

But just 1 or 2 days after the maintenance shed started operation a shoe or something had been placed between the door and the door frame to keep it always unlocked.  

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps the driver had a blackout and he was unaware of his condition.

I had one 3 weeks ago and knew nothing about it until I woke up in hospital.

I had, and still have, no idea what happened until my wife told me the following day. I simply lost 24 hours.

Granted I am 78, but I had no idea that could happen to me.

That was also the day I quit driving, just in case.

Wise man.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Do Thai trains not have a dead man control ? 

The locomotive pictured above, is one of the new Chinese built for SRT. Delivery commenced last year.

For reference:

The first 20 locomotives among a batch of 50 ordered from Chinese manufacturer CRRC Qishuyan Ltd were shipped to Sriracha Train Yard in Chonburi...................... The new diesel-electric locomotives use German-made engines............................They come equipped with an ATP [Automatic Train Protection] brake system and CCTV cameras, have low emission rates and are compatible European Train Control System (ETCS) level 1.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40011931

Interesting, they have German engines, unlike the Thai submarines!!

20 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Wise man.

There comes a time when we all have to face reality and mine was waking up in hospital with no idea why I was there or how I got there.

What scares me is that if I did drive, I may black out again, have an accident and kill some innocent person and not even know I had done it.

It is easier to quit while I am ahead.

On 3/15/2023 at 7:21 AM, brianthainess said:

Do Thai trains not have a dead man control ? better than a dead man IN control. :coffee1:

Yes I am sure that they do, but as the cab was double manned it was unnecessary and may have been isolated. Most locomotive hauled trains here are double manned (driver and secondman), only the local railcars are single manned.

I suspect that there is some confusion in reporting or translation, along with exaggeration. CPR seems a bit over the top if the driver fainted. If it was a locomotive hauled train then the passengers would have been unaware - perhaps startled by a sudden stop. If it was a multiple unit, only somebody standing in the front gangway could have known what happened to the driver.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1