Got my new Thai license , Then Lost it.. :(

Hi all,

So, I lost my wallet with my 2 week old Thai license (2 year Temp license).   
What's the procedure  to get a duplicate?
Unfortunately the 1st step  is a 3 hour drive to the Transport office,  hoping one of you can tell me what I need. 
TIA

5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

1st step is getting a police report !!

I'm not sure a police report is necessary anymore. 

Wife (Thai) lost her Thai Driving Licence, went to DLT and got a replacement. She was told a police report is no longer necessary. 

- BUT... that could be just for Thai’s and just for DLT Area 3 Bangkok (Sukhumvit). 

There may be different requirements for different DLT offices and any advice you receive here may differ from what is expected at your specific DLT. 

Best advice: Call up the your nearest DLT and ask them exactly what is needed (or get a Thai to call them for you if needed).  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

DLT that far best take police report of loss is sometimes wanted plus take what paperwork you had to get the DL in the first place. 

Thanks,  Well my wallet was lost with my original overseas license in it. Hence why Im looking for a duplicate Thai.   Hoping someone will have some good news for me. ????

1 minute ago, hellohello said:

Thanks,  Well my wallet was lost with my original overseas license in it. Hence why Im looking for a duplicate Thai.   Hoping someone will have some good news for me. ????

That's what I'm trying to tell you report the licences and wallet lost and go back to the DLT with the police report you got your DL  from and they will have your records and help you out, they won't eat you. 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you have already set up the thai driving licence app I wouldn't bother getting a new hard copy

A valid point about the App...   although I wouldn’t expect all (or any) Policemen to be familiar with dealing with the app, so having this alone could bring some issues. 

I think it may be possible for the Op to apply for the Qp without having his licence in hand, he will just need a photo of his licence (if he has one) with the QR code (printed on the licence) as the records are online (i.e. the photo of my licence is not one I have taken, but is one stored on the DLT database i.e. the original from which a DL is printed).

Thus, as pointed it may be worth the for trying to log into to the DLT QR Licence App.

At lesast for now, thats something he can have until he gets a replacement.

Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 13.53.32.png

11 minutes ago, hellohello said:

Thanks Kwawski,   Now I understand what you meant.   Will Go file at Police first.

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That's what I'm trying to tell you report the licences and wallet lost and go back to the DLT with the police report you got your DL  from and they will have your records and help you out, they won't eat you. 

Yup... as the Op would be travelling 3 hrs to get the replacement, it makes sense to get a police report  locally as this is something that definitely used to be required and its not certain if all provinces have updated /changed their policy to not needing one - better to be on safe side of things.

I think that Police report and ID (Same ID he used for the licence) would be sufficient to obtain a replacement. 

As mentioned previously - its best to call ahead and find out exactly whats required. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A valid point about the App...   although I wouldn’t expect all (or any) Policemen to be familiar with dealing with the app, so having this alone could bring some issues. 

I think it may be possible for the Op to apply for the Qp without having his licence in hand, he will just need a photo of his licence (if he has one) with the QR code (printed on the licence) as the records are online (i.e. the photo of my licence is not one I have taken, but is one stored on the DLT database i.e. the original from which a DL is printed).

Thus, as pointed it may be worth the for trying to log into to the DLT QR Licence App.

Sadly most people aren't organised enough to have photos of the licences or have the app set up.

In Pattaya police accept the app now, took them a while

2 hours ago, hellohello said:

Got my new Thai license ,

Then Lost it.tell me what I need. 

Sorry mate had to laugh. 

Go cop shop make a report. 

Go DLT with all documents. 

Take a cut lunch. ????

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sadly most people aren't organised enough to have photos of the licences or have the app set up.

In Pattaya police accept the app now, took them a while

Where i live you shouting out apps at a police officer he would draw his gun.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I had every intension of photographing my license , but I didn't.  Interesting app. I'll look into it. Thanks a lot for your time and help.

1 minute ago, hellohello said:

I had every intension of photographing my license , but I didn't.  Interesting app. I'll look into it. Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Just as perhaps you had every intention of not losing it !!... sorry, that one made me chuckle..... 

Anyway... a simple bit of misfortune and nothing serious.

I’m not sure if you can get access to your details on the App without the QR code from your licence. 

I would be calling them and asking what my options are and even if a replacement could be posted to me. I’d expect not, but you never know. I’ve often been surprised in Thailand by how simple somethings that I expected to be complicated can be (and also how complicated somethings that I expected to be simple can be !).... 

Call them (or ask a Thai to call on your behalf).

24 minutes ago, hellohello said:

55555  I guess I should laugh too.  I just HATE going to the cop shop. ????

Yep, cop shop not a nice place.

Funny story.... I had my license, money and phone stolen a few years back, Songkran. Beach Rd was covered in soap suds, neck high, I was wearing a waterproof pouch around my neck, I waded through the suds, drunk as a skunck, came out the other end pouch less. 

Only positive was I got some great fondling in, beautiful little things, all playing in the suds. 

Edited by Cricky