Thieves steal gems worth $1 billion and disappear

webfact

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" 

by the way, the article was warrened using such confusing details and bad grammar i could hardly understand who's who and who's what. 

Thai business partners tried to fleece an American for giant gems smuggled from Burma then all parties double crossed by bent cops who bailed with the loot leaving the Kingdom holding the bag for court ordered damages ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Thai business partners tried to fleece an American for giant gems smuggled from Burma then all parties double crossed by bent cops who bailed with the loot leaving the Kingdom holding the bag for court ordered damages ?

Which of course never were going to be paid.

Quite an accurate summary I would suggest.

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I wouldn't expect anything less to happen here when valuables are involved.

Perhaps a reason for Thailand to be worried about onerous demands from the EU....like abiding by the law and court decisions.

• Like 1

Intriguing story.

Wasn't there a big gold scam in the Pattaya area some years ago (about 15), where a few farang were tempted to part with hundreds of thousands of squids to buy cheap gold? They went ahead with the get-rich-quick' scheme, only to lose all their dosh.

Think it made the BBC news. Then the story just died a death.

16 minutes ago, ignore it said:

Wot?

Amazing!  It seems the quality of writing has actually improved over the last 29 years. 

Marginally.

It's obviously been machine translated from Thai. You know that's a thing, right?

8 hours ago, realfunster said:

Yes, indeed. I made a comment on this news/content ‘source’ yesterday regarding their very poorly written, if not incomprehensible content, they need to improve and quickly….

It’s also embarrassing for AseanNOW and disrespectful to members for them to be sharing such extremely poor content. Sort it out AseanNOW !

Maybe Google Translate was used without editing.

"The value of Thai money at that time was 25 baht per dollar, so the price of gems was 1,300 baht in Thai money."

52 million in gems sold for 1,300 THB.

Makes no sense, but neither does anything else in the OP.