Thai mobile number for OTP - open from overseas

On 3/18/2023 at 3:27 PM, Sigma6 said:

I've been working outside of thailand for a while now, and so due to not topping up / buying data my validity has come close to running out.  For the same reasons (paying bills) I need to maintain this number, so when I get the warning SMS I get the missus to transfer me some of her validity.  This is on AIS - so I guess it should be possible on other networks.  If the number has truly expired, i.e. its been allocated to someone else, then you need to talk with customer service  - even better have your thai partner talk with them.  it may be possible to get a new number via e-sim.  I got a new phone and had my thai number e-sim added via qr code whilst in europe.

The problem will be getting your bank to accept a change of number without visiting a branch in person, and if they wont, getting a new number, virtual or otherwise wont help.

so the first thing to establish is whether your old thai number is still assigned to you.  If it is, the rest is much easier.

Why wait for a warning SMS?? Top up a small amount x 12 to push the validity date to a year away. Boontherm machines top up for 10 + 2 baht. So the whole exercise will cost no more than 24 baht + 120 baht of added credit. 
No need to find the coins. You can use notes. Tap your number in to the machine, choose a 10 baht credit and then put in 100 baht when asked for 12 baht. Once completed, don’t expect change, just repeat the exercise. This time it won’t ask for the 12 baht, it will deduct from the 88 baht stored in the machine against your number. Keep repeating the exercise until you have done it twelve times. Should take just a few minutes at the machine. Orange boxes outside 7/11 and Family Mart. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NextG said:

Why wait for a warning SMS?? Top up a small amount x 12 to push the validity date to a year away. Boontherm machines top up for 10 + 2 baht. So the whole exercise will cost no more than 24 baht + 120 baht of added credit. 
No need to find the coins. You can use notes. Tap your number in to the machine, choose a 10 baht credit and then put in 100 baht when asked for 12 baht. Once completed, don’t expect change, just repeat the exercise. This time it won’t ask for the 12 baht, it will deduct from the 88 baht stored in the machine against your number. Keep repeating the exercise until you have done it twelve times. Should take just a few minutes at the machine. Orange boxes outside 7/11 and Family Mart. 

My first sentence says Im working outside Thailand.
I can add funds via kbank, that no problem, only I dont need to, I'm not using the number for anything other than recieve SMS.  So to maintain validity I take it from the missus' account.  It works ok

If you're using machines that cost 20% extra to top up your phone, you should use your bank app, its free.

8 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

I can add funds via kbank, that no problem, only I dont need to, I'm not using the number for anything other than recieve SMS.  So to maintain validity I take it from the missus' account.  It works ok

If you're using machines that cost 20% extra to top up your phone, you should use your bank app, its free.

You mentioned your wife transferring validity…. Is she not in Thailand?

If you can top up via K bank then you can extend it properly, rather than messing around with taking your wife’s validity every time. You can transfer the excess top ups to your wife for your continued pilfering of her validity days ☺️

Edited by NextG

10 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

I’m not using machines. It was a solution for those who don’t have access to bank top ups. It’s 2 baht…. ???? 20%…☺️

17 hours ago, Celsius said:

Strange. Even when my balance was at zero, I was still receiving free text messages and could use OTP for months. I am with AIS.

As mentioned elsewhere it is not the balance amount but the validity of the sim that matters. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Since I started this topic, I received a bit of criticism from several people here after I said that Thai banks OTP security measures were childish and pointless.  Well, well, well.     It's barely 2 months later and now the Thai banks themselves agree that the OTP is stupid and pointless..  Because now they are demanding account holders to use facial recognition technology to access features on the bank accounts !!!!!!!

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2557434/banks-tell-users-put-on-your-best-face

What next, DNA testing for account holders?   And where does this end?    Unfortunately, it's obvious. The never ending raising the bar of security requirements ends with average law abiding account holders having no access to their own funds.    

So to all those simpletons who go along with giving away your freedoms little by little for the promise of  "security", thanks a lot.

Edited by Time Traveller
adding link to story
  • Thanks 1