Foreign Tourist Drowns in Strong Waves at Pattaya Sea

webfact

image.jpeg

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Pattaya authorities have warned people of strong waves and winds after a foreign tourist drowned in the sea, March 19th.

Sawang Boriboon rescuers rushed to Pattaya Beach near the Nipa Lodge intersection around 2 PM today after getting a report about a drowning tourist. When they arrived, they found multiple onlookers circling an unidentified foreigner who was lying unconscious on the beach.

The tourist of unknown nationality was about 55-65 years old. The rescuers tried to revive him by providing him with life-saving CPR but sadly failed. There were no signs of a wallet or identification documents nearby.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/03/19/foreign-tourist-drowns-in-strong-waves-at-pattaya-sea/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-03-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

It is almost impossible to drown in the ocean off Pattaya.....I will go so far to say it is impossible....

The ocean gets very gradually deeper.....There is no rip tide....You have unlimited opportunity to retun to more shallow water at any time......

You would need a medical condition in order to drown..

A child could drown....But a adult....Nope....

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Unless you can't swim?

You dont need to know how to swim......ANYBODY...Can dog paddle a few feet to get to more shallow water........Go swim there some time and see for yourself...

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Pattaya authorities have warned people of strong waves and winds after a foreign tourist drowned in the sea, March 19th."

Maybe instead warn them before someone drowns?

Edited by blackcab
All bold font removed
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

It is almost impossible to drown in the ocean off Pattaya.....I will go so far to say it is impossible....

The ocean gets very gradually deeper.....There is no rip tide....You have unlimited opportunity to retun to more shallow water at any time......

Have you been in there in more recent times?

Is there a possibility that the new raised beach has left a sharp incline anywhere along the waters edge?

18 minutes ago, Joe Farang said:

Have you been in there in more recent times?

Is there a possibility that the new raised beach has left a sharp incline anywhere along the waters edge?

Looks by the photo it was within the bouys barrier.

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Question Were you  in Pattaya on the day of the event? Did you see ocean conditions?  I can tell you that across the  bay where I  am now,  the wind has been  the strongest  it has been and the sea current very  strong. People drown in open calm waters on any given day, so this is not unusual, especially if the person is older and weak. Pattaya has many older men with poor health. Any trauma can push them over the edge.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Yeah but maybe he went way out there. Some idiots do that

5 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"Pattaya authorities have warned people of strong waves and winds after a foreign tourist drowned in the sea, March 19th."

Maybe instead warn them before someone drowns?

It is self evident. Local Thai authorities arent baby sitters

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

People drown in open calm waters on any given day, so this is not unusual, especially if the person is older and weak.

Likely situation, someone who really has no stamina for swimming decides to get back in shape by swimming in the ocean one day.  Then discovers he cannot stay afloat.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It appears victim was in buoyed off area, usually "supervised" by so called "lifeguards".

If they are anything like the ones near where I live, they are worse than useless: sit at tables all day looking at their phones, half of them even facing away from the beach. Have so much clothes and gear on they would be at risk for drowning....

22 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

As a professional swimmer, online doctor, and oceanographer for 28-years with extensive research into drowning.....

most of these posts are absolute rubbish!!!  

Ok here is a challenge for you,,,,,,Take a light swim off Pattaya beach in the area where this guy was........And let us know how dangerous it was.......I have been there many times, and I give the ocean there a risk factor of almost zero...

Strong waves

There are absolutely no waves in the picture. Pattaya is a bay! In a gulf!! There are no waves.

This person couldn't swim and this article is factually incorrect.

Edited by Menken
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I think you'll find that could be 100% wrong...

"Foreign Tourist Drowns in Strong Waves at Pattaya Sea".

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1