Why do people ask questions on this forum and then expect the answers are correct when they are FREQUENTLY wrong? Is Google broken?

nglodnig

35 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Case in point: you need to enable roaming on your Thai mobile to receive SMS messages. No you don't. Roaming is CALL roaming and SMS uses a completely different system. Yet some people will give this as an answer.

WRONG!!!!   You must enable roaming, call roaming is only necessary in some instances, but SMS will work better if you enable roaming.   Studies have shown it's 35.5% better on roaming, so why not use it all the time!!!  They use the same system, also proven!!!!   Use Google, this is all factual information.  If you are still reading and wondering about this post, well, I'm wondering about your post and unicorns exist as well..  

• Thumbs Up 1

I find Google more frustrating by the day. A simple search results in offers to sell me everything closely associated to the words in the query. Often I get no answer to fairly basic questions. Folks on this forum will give better answers (if you filter out the jokers).

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've found Google to be wrong on matters of fact on a couple of occasions. It's a useful tool when searching for services, locations etc.

As far as posters on this forum go, there are those who post on the basis of facts and peer-reviewed data, and those that post on the basis of their beliefs.

Science does not care what you believe.

Believers don't care what science says about faith, as science is incapable of explaining it- waaaaay too primitive.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Believers don't care what science says about faith, as science is incapable of explaining it- waaaaay too primitive.

"Belief is usually defined as a conviction of the truth of a proposition without its verification; therefore a belief is a subjective mental interpretation derived from perceptions, contemplation(reasoning), or communication".

Belief (sciencedaily.com)

1 minute ago, 2baht said:

Can Google tell you where to find the cheapest paper clips in Pattaya???

Reminds me of a primary school report I kept for some time. One teacher had written........'Needs to learn how to use reference books'. Translates as 'because I don't know the answers'.  

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

"Belief is usually defined as a conviction of the truth of a proposition without its verification; therefore a belief is a subjective mental interpretation derived from perceptions, contemplation(reasoning), or communication".

Belief (sciencedaily.com)

Or, a total lack of perceptions, reasoning or communication. 'That never happened to me, therefore it doesn't/can't happen'.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, poppysdad said:

I find that Facebook posters give out considerably more bad and wrong info than this forum does. 

You need to read the "kids and Thailand wannabees" forum. Wrong info is posted everyday. Unfortunately as time goes on it becomes fact. Example 3 months ago it was posted that to get PR only 3 years of one year extensions for any reason was required. Correcting this resulted in me getting 10 downvotes. Today it was posted that a 90 day Non O visa for retirement required no insurance but the one year extensions did. It was the most upvoted comment. By the way I only read that forum to get my daily dose of laughter.

2 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

WRONG!!!!   You must enable roaming, call roaming is only necessary in some instances, but SMS will work better if you enable roaming.   Studies have shown it's 35.5% better on roaming, so why not use it all the time!!!  They use the same system, also proven!!!!   Use Google, this is all factual information.  If you are still reading and wondering about this post, well, I'm wondering about your post and unicorns exist as well..  

So what your saying is the OP is correct and roaming is not needed for SMS !!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NextG said:

It must be mortifying for you, after all that, to get it wrong yourself. 
Roaming is for calls??????

No, Roaming is so you can connect to a network. No network…. no SMS. 

18 minutes ago, NextG said:

No, Roaming is so you can connect to a network. No network…. no SMS. 

Roaming is a setting for your SIM card so you can use it for calls & messages when out of the country of origin.

You can connect to a Network WITHOUT a SIM being used almost anywhere..

• Like 1

Agree with title, it's mind boggling, and why I never ask a question or will ask (rare) but, someone I know who actually has experience and can answer.

First place I go for info is Google, and sometimes, before I reply, to make sure I'm current.

To add to OP, so many reply, without reading the OP or links provided, just to the title, and simply come off as silly or really ignorant.   

I make note of that when I'm doing (to the title), as author may be on my ignore list and didn't see to OP, or I disagree with half of the actual post.

• Like 1

FACTS that CANNOT be debated here!!!!!!!

1. A piece of string is 5.69 cm long

2.  A rock weighs 1 stone

3.  All houses in Thailand are the same

4.  Pollution is good for you

5.  Expats go crazy

6.  Drinking is good for you if everyone hates you

7.  There is no such thing as family

8.  Lotteries are the matrix

9.  Everything is a lie

10.  9 is a lie

• Love It 1

6 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Case in point: you need to enable roaming on your Thai mobile to receive SMS messages. No you don't. Roaming is CALL roaming and SMS uses a completely different system. Yet some people will give this as an answer.

And you need a VPN to access Thai bank internet systems (well with mine[BBL] you don't) and I use SEVERAL banks from different countries and have NEVER had to use a VPN. That's why they call it the internet. There are some restrictions (e.g. has to be a mobile of that country to get an OTP as their software can't use country codes basically)  yet some people will give this an answer. <end rant>

People like yourself misunderstand posts also

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’ve just checked my settings on my iPhone and roaming is switched off. I can make and receive phone calls around Thailand and the UK. I can receive and send SMS and messages likewise. Along with using Facebook and Line and FaceTime both here and abroad for messages and chats. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1