Makro - Do I need to buy a membership?

Menken

1 minute ago, Patong2 said:

No you definitely do not need a card to purchase at Makro.

I am often asked if i have one though.

One thing to note is that Makro only accept cash as far as I have seen.

They do have checkouts that only accept payment by QR code. If you queue up in them and can't pay by this method, they will just send you to another checkout.

Seen many people there grumbling after queueing and being turned away.

12 minutes ago, Patong2 said:

What is the benefit of having a Makro Card?

Do you get a cheaper price?

If so, what rate etc.

No you do not.

The card facilitates promo mail and if a trader, detailed invoices etc.

Also records purchases etc which is useful via the app for reorder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You can also order online for delivery.

Yes, order online for collection in store or home delivery within a set radious I believe. Free home delivery over a certain amount (1000 bt ?)

• Like 1

it used to be that it's registered as 'members only' club probably due to licensing and not competing with other retailer, you're supposed to get a day pass even to enter if you hadn't bring your card even  

but if you turn up at the cashier and say ' no habe' when they ask for the membership card, they'll happily scan the card for 'no member' they have at the till instead. 

They still have rules that don't make sense is that in order to get a membership, you  need to spend like 3,500 baht in a day to qualify for the free membership,

For businesses, membership means you get the full VAT invoice without needing to ask for it, and that's it

For credit cards

They only accept Citibank cards, but now that UOB has taken over Citi's Thai operation all UOB cards should be accepted too

QR codes and TrueMoney is also accepted

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Not true, they also accept Citi bank card payments.

Checkout (in my area )have clear overhead signs as the method of payment at checkout.

They also accept cash at those checkouts showing payment can be made with 

57 minutes ago, phetphet said:

They do have checkouts that only accept payment by QR code. If you queue up in them and can't pay by this method, they will just send you to another checkout.

Seen many people there grumbling after queueing and being turned away.

Not true. I have payed cash many times at those checkouts showing that payment can be made using QR Code.

2 hours ago, Patong2 said:

No you definitely do not need a card to purchase at Makro.

I am often asked if i have one though.

One thing to note is that Makro only accept cash as far as I have seen.

Or via QR code.

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

No you do not.

The card facilitates promo mail and if a trader, detailed invoices etc.

Also records purchases etc which is useful via the app for reorder

If I recall correctly, there are also rewards at customer service desk if your purchases qualify. I do not know the criteria.

At my local Makro if you do not have a card you have to give your details (driving licence) at the customer desk and get a slip of paper with a code number. When you get to checkout they use that code for the till. I got a card to save the bother of the customer desk and slip of paper for every visit.

Sometimes when you buy items you will get a free item after check out.  I don't know if you get those without a card.  But I think mostly the card is for marketing.  Also if you shop with them online you might need a member number.  Card is free anyway.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

there doesn't seem to be any advantage in having one now,

There was when I lived in Thailand, and still is where I live now in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Having the Membership Card (which is optional) entitles me to free promotion offers/gifts. I have received free plastic sealable food boxes, packs of squash and drinking water in addition to my purchases. Such promotions are not available to "Makro" card-less customers. Here in Siem Reap, Makro occasionally offers sticker schemes (like Green Shield stamps) which enable you to fill/part fill a card for a selection of free items. The number of stamps you get is based on the total value of your purchased goods. In another scheme, we get free tickets for inclusion in a draw for a car, motorcycles, electrical equipment etc. These schemes are not available for non-card holders. You are advised at check-out. I already had a Thai Makro card when I applied for a Khmer one. The cards are only valid in the issuing country.  All I had to show was personal identification and my still valid Thai driving license was accepted (I did not have my passport on me).

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Menken said:

Apparently according to Charlie above you need one to purchase goods

No?

He didn't say that at all. 

You can just walk in and shop like any regular store. 

No need to sign up for their card, no membership fee. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Menken said:

Apparently according to Charlie above you need one to purchase goods

No?

Maybe depends on location. In Chiang Mai can easily get a member card, takes 1 minute, no questions etc. But from my observation 90% of customers have never bothered to get the member card.

At cashier girl asks 'do you have member card?' 'NO', nothing further said she just gets on with scanning everything, all showing on the scren and a total to pay.