Makro - Do I need to buy a membership?

Menken

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Sometimes when you buy items you will get a free item after check out.  I don't know if you get those without a card.  But I think mostly the card is for marketing.  Also if you shop with them online you might need a member number.  Card is free anyway.

Maybe because they don't like my face but in the 20 year I buy at Makro here in LOS, I've never received anything, also after the check out Not.

4 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Maybe because they don't like my face but in the 20 year I buy at Makro here in LOS, I've never received anything, also after the check out Not.

Depends what you buy.

We spend around 6+ k baht a week in makro mostly on drinks and snacks. Occasionally an item we purchase has a gift which shows up on the receipt. We collect from the "tam" counter outside the checkouts.

Normally something smallish a bottle of M150 but have received cooler boxes and a grab delivery type bag in the past.

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Not true, they also accept Citi bank card payments.

Checkout (in my area )have clear overhead signs as the method of payment at checkout.

And, of course, so many Thais and even aliens such as us use Citibank. Ridiculous to limit cc sales to a tiny, minute part of the population.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

17 hours ago, alanrchase said:

At my local Makro if you do not have a card you have to give your details (driving licence) at the customer desk and get a slip of paper with a code number. When you get to checkout they use that code for the till. I got a card to save the bother of the customer desk and slip of paper for every visit.

Where? never been here for 11 years gave never seen farangs getting a slip if paper 

2 hours ago, arick said:

Where? never been here for 11 years gave never seen farangs getting a slip if paper 

Nakhon Pathom. Originally you could just shop with no problem. They then started to require a slip of paper with a number on to be shown at checkout. Maybe they were having issues with other peoples card details being used to acquire reward points when non members went through checkout. Nothing to do with foreigners, non member Thais needed one as well.

Edited by alanrchase
Additional info

21 hours ago, Farma said:

Depends what you buy.

We spend around 6+ k baht a week in makro mostly on drinks and snacks. Occasionally an item we purchase has a gift which shows up on the receipt. We collect from the "tam" counter outside the checkouts.

Normally something smallish a bottle of M150 but have received cooler boxes and a grab delivery type bag in the past.

Okay, clear to me, I spend average about 4000 in 14 days.

I'm happy I don't drink M150. ;-))

9 hours ago, alanrchase said:

Nakhon Pathom. Originally you could just shop with no problem. They then started to require a slip of paper with a number on to be shown at checkout. Maybe they were having issues with other peoples card details being used to acquire reward points when non members went through checkout. Nothing to do with foreigners, non member Thais needed one as well.

Your talking <deleted> 

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2023 at 12:02 PM, Patong2 said:

No you definitely do not need a card to purchase at Makro.

I am often asked if i have one though.

One thing to note is that Makro only accept cash as far as I have seen.

Wrong about cash. They have lines that say cash only and 10 or less items but these lines accept apps for payment and a lot more than 10 items.

Edited by ripstanley
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 12:02 PM, Patong2 said:

No you definitely do not need a card to purchase at Makro.

I am often asked if i have one though.

One thing to note is that Makro only accept cash as far as I have seen.

You can pay with your phone...

On 3/22/2023 at 12:30 PM, Fairynuff said:

I’ve never had or wanted a card. The only thing it stops me getting is a huge printed invoice instead of a normal till slip.

I have a card and only get a till slip. The huge printout are for ones that register as a business.

On 3/20/2023 at 6:29 AM, LennyW said:

Unfortunately Makro here are not a true cash and carry like the UK was

Actually many years ago when I tried to use Makro in the UK  I had to register as a business user which (as a self-employed "limited company" contractor) I was - had to show a company cheque book I think and they gave me a card. I don't know if they still do this nonsense. Apparently they don't now https://www.makro.co.za/customer-service/faq/registerPage#:~:text=Like everything at Makro%2C we,generate a number for you.

Back in the 90s when I moved here, a membership card was required, up country. Only for those with some kind of store. Was declined to check out first time, since then we borrowed a neighbours business memnership card.

Good things has changed since then.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/20/2023 at 12:29 PM, LennyW said:

Unfortunately Makro here are not a true cash and carry like the UK was, they let anybody in.

No card is required, if you do not have one they scan one of their own at the cash register

I stopped shopping there when I realised it was not "exclusive" and that they would let riff raff like me in

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 11:54 AM, Patong2 said:

What is the benefit of having a Makro Card?

Do you get a cheaper price?

If so, what rate etc.

No, no cheaper price in Thailand, be aware they are a mass product seller. if you need just one, go elsewhere.

Benefits are rare, been shopping there for years, best one yet was a threesome of coca cola and some snickers bars. Did get two shopping bags last week, though.