Tesla’s Vision of EVs Without Rare Earths Will Spur Magnet Race

onthedarkside

image.png.8764154db9cb1a1db01b588723bf8723.png

Tesla Inc.’s ambition to remove rare earths from future models has producers in the sector reeling, but it also should spur global efforts to deliver alternatives for electric car motors that currently rely on the materials.

Model 3 and Model Y powertrains have already reduced consumption of heavy rare earths by a quarter, and Tesla’s next drive unit includes a permanent magnet motor that doesn’t use any of the materials, Colin Campbell, vice president of powertrain engineering, said during the company’s investor day early this month.

The automaker is looking to keep driving down costs, avoid processes with environmental and health risks and reduce reliance on commodities that can be most susceptible to wild price swings.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-vision-evs-without-rare-101535378.html

image.png.0b807701990a5fe46b002eeb549d8bb2.png

• Like 1

I've noticed a tendency among debunkers of EV's to assume that the future will be like the past but on a grander scale. So there are all sorts of dire predictions about running out of rare earths or lithium or cobalt when it's extremely likely that these materials will ultimately be phased out in favor of more elements that are more abundant and less polluting . Already there are EV batteries that don't use cobalt or lithium. And even if Tesla's current claim about rare earths turns out to be false, which is not entirely unlikely given past promises, there are plenty of competitors doing serious research and development.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, placeholder said:

So there are all sorts of dire predictions about running out of rare earths or lithium or cobalt when it's extremely likely that these materials will ultimately be phased out in favor of more elements that are more abundant and less polluting .

Don't you find it hypocritical, that they complain about the mining of lithium & cobalt for EVs, but not all the other applications it's used for, including ....

... wait for it

.... including .... petrol production ????

At least the cobalt in EV batteries is recyclable ... not so when used in petroleum refining.

Most EVs are moving away from cobalt & nickel in batteries anyway.  CH's MGs for TH, for example use the LFP chemistry batteries, without both.

Goes with most solar system batteries now also, use LFP batteries.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Much of the Cobalt comes from the Congo (unlike Lithium) and if the news outlets and videos are anything to go by, it isn't a pretty sight, Child and cheap labour etc. Now before I get criticised and labelled as being against 'renewable' (non-fossil fuel) energy, I am most definitely not against this progress. But the chemicals that we use to research & advance don't offer themselves up without difficulty and much effort is expended to do so. It can't be very satisfying to know that the product you sell is made possible by people working under such difficult conditions and who will probably never be able to buy your product. So I think there is move to try and distance a company from possible Child and cheap labour criticism. I hope one day we can get over these ironies and obstacles. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, placeholder said:

I've noticed a tendency among debunkers of EV's to assume that the future will be like the past but on a grander scale.

Very true. When I started in the US car industry 40 years ago, cars were getting 8 MPG and engines were often wearing out around 120,000 miles. Today, we have cars getting over 30 MPG (some over 40), and engines that are expected to last over 200,000 miles. EVs will progress a lot from where they are today.

• Like 1