Aussie dad gets into fistfight with monkeys on Ko Phi Phi in Thailand

webfact

Had a damn macaque run off with the glass from my wing-mirror once in a park in Krabi.

Local Thai tourists were happily filming him do it .

Blighter scampered up on the rocks and basically gave me the finger !

Mate said should report it to the police and they could arrange for an ID parade ! 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, save the frogs said:

sad to see them get aggressive , but or would it kill people to part with a few bananas?

That's what started the trouble in the first place ,feeding the vermin, now they get used to that and now start Demanding Food . If one doesn't have/give food they get aggressive.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, digger70 said:

That's what started the trouble in the first place ,feeding the vermin, now they get used to that and now start Demanding Food . If one doesn't have/give food they get aggressive.

My personal solution to monkeys would be a .223 varmint rifle.  But being in Thailand that's not an option unfortunately plus I stopped hunting over two decades ago.  At best monkeys are pests.  People should not feed them.  It's like feeding bears in National Parks in the US.  It's just a bad idea which leads to bad consequences.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, connda said:

My personal solution to monkeys would be a .223 varmint rifle.  But being in Thailand that's not an option unfortunately plus I stopped hunting over two decades ago.  At best monkeys are pests.  People should not feed them.  It's like feeding bears in National Parks in the US.  It's just a bad idea which leads to bad consequences.

I second that , My Fave was the 6.5x55 and 22/250 and 300 Win Magnum ????

Thanks to this posting I am once again re-reminded why I never watch Sailing La Vag EVER.  In the beginning the channel was just ridiculous.  Had eff-all sailing ability, endangering themselves and others constantly.  Painful horrible drivel to watch.

This new trimaran is a VERY nice boat, though.  Much better sailing performance than their last condomaran that Greta crossed the pond on with them.  What a ridiculous stunt that was.  Most auxiliary sailing vessels use significantly more petroleum/person/mile traveled than a jet airliner when looked at over the full life of the vehicle.   They are extremely wasteful.   I still love them though ????

2 hours ago, proton said:

Got lots of monkeys near us in Bangkok living around a bridge, no Thais ever get out of their cars to interact with them, they feed them by chucking food from their cars. This whole thing looks like another faked for YT and Tik Tok, they are not that stupid. Claims he needs 10 injections over 2 weeks, it's 5 all together 

did you watch the ivdeo to see what he really claims or just leave it at the half assed story posted here?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

they seem to get more and more aggressive, watch the reels on Facebook or YouTube, basically the big monkeys scare the girls and take their bags and search inside

The vast majority of Facebook monkey reels feature baby monkeys abused and exploited by Asian owners where the animals have obviously been illegally acquired and are destined to a nasty and hasty death once they become adults. Now there are also numerous videos of dogs being set alight or tortured and killed for the Chinese dog meat market. Don't see many videos where the monkeys are in the open and have an equal chance against their human tormenters. I have made over 30 reports to no avail against these abusive and cruel videos but Facebook couldn't care less, unless you get upset at a dog being burned to death and say you would like to see the person responsible suffer the same fate, in which case you are liable to cop a warning from the FB team. Needless to say I no longer view FB Reels.

There's a few people trying hard to be funny, but being attacked by monkeys can be absolutely terrifying.

Many years ago I was enjoying the sunset from a rocky lookout at Mahabalipuram in South India. A Danish couple were doing the same, and feeding the quite large monkeys with peanuts.

The lady couldn't get the peanuts out of her pockets fast enough! Two monkeys attacked her, viciously clawing and tearing at her shorts. She was screaming hysterically. The Rains ran down the steps chased by the greedy savage monkeys. They managed to get away, but both of them were badly scratched and traumatised.

• Haha 1

Thailand needs to get the police, monkeys, and dogs under control.  

And I maintain that this video will hurt tourism.  Each media hit Thailand takes adds up.   Whenever I mention Thailand and people are like I can't wait to go I've heard it's so cheap or this and that I tell them.   It's not cheap, don't swim in any non pool water, the diving sucks, don't rent a scooter, taxis and most anyone tries to rip off foreigners. Plus dual pricing, police corrupt, etc.   

Edited by Elkski
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

In the short video I did not see the monkeys "attack" anyone, nor did not see any wounds. Did they show the wounds in the long video? 

I think they used the bag to bait the monkeys and used their kid as a prop while dad flailed around at the monkeys to get them riled up. 

I'm no fan of the monkeys, and they will grab anything they can, but this looked staged to me. Dad fainted when he got the shot, seriously? Who faints when they get a shot? I just finished the rabies vaccine a few weeks ago, it was nothing. The tetanus shot was worse.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Grandpa Cool said:

There's a few people trying hard to be funny, but being attacked by monkeys can be absolutely terrifying.

Many years ago I was enjoying the sunset from a rocky lookout at Mahabalipuram in South India. A Danish couple were doing the same, and feeding the quite large monkeys with peanuts.

The lady couldn't get the peanuts out of her pockets fast enough! Two monkeys attacked her, viciously clawing and tearing at her shorts. She was screaming hysterically. The Rains ran down the steps chased by the greedy savage monkeys. They managed to get away, but both of them were badly scratched and traumatised.

Stayed in Mahabalipuram twice in the 80s. Has to be one of the most magic places I have visited. However the 2nd time I visited, areas had been fenced and the place looked like a tourist park. I don't remember any monkeys.

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So what?  What actually happened was a damn stupid and irresponsible Aussie tried to interact with wild monkeys for financial benefit...can't he do anything right?

Well he does own a new 50 foot catamaran ,so he must be doing something right ! ???? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Well he does own a new 50 foot catamaran ,so he must be doing something right ! ???? 

Dude's got a hot old lady, a couple nice looking kids, a bitchin' boat, plenty of dough and does not have to work, where do I sign? 

In most civilized places if 1-2 people were attacked by wild animals in one area they would put up warning signs.   I would pay to do critter control on a vacation in Thailand.   Dogs or monkeys.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Riley managed to rescue his son, Darwin, but not before sustaining injuries from the monkeys’ bites and scratches. The family subsequently required shots for tetanus and rabies, reported the Daily Mail.

I would be more concerned about Monkey B virus than rabies.  Like rabies, fatal in humans but much more prevalent among the macaques.

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Any kind of stick or bamboo staff scares the monkeys into submission. Perhaps they should provide bamboo on perilous beaches and at temples with monkeys?

I was in Muang PKK in mid 2020 and walked up to the top of the temple there for sunrise (Wat Khao Chong Krachok). There were lots of long tailed macaques and the locals warned me of them (Rawang Ling). There was a pile of sticks at the base of the steps. Unsurprisingly, none of the macaques were aggresive to me. See this with walkers too. Carry a stick and the animals will respect you. No need to even threaten them.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Elkski said:

In most civilized places if 1-2 people were attacked by wild animals in one area they would put up warning signs.   I would pay to do critter control on a vacation in Thailand.   Dogs or monkeys.

I watched the short video and did not see the monkeys attack anyone, you? 

• Sad 1