Why is it difficult to add new flights at Suvarnabhumi?

webfact

image.jpeg

With many countries opening their borders and returning to international flights, the question remains why many airlines still find it difficult to accommodate more arrivals and departures from Suvarnabhumi Airport.

According to Prachachat Business, the problems mainly affect flights from China where, according to earlier reports, more than 20 airlines have applied for Suvarnabhumi airport, with 50 to 60 flights a day, since China opened its border.

The above figure indicates that the majority of applications have not yet been approved. It is important to note that the above figure is well below the record of around 200 flights per day in 2019.

Full story: https://bangkokone.news/why-is-it-still-difficult-for-airlines-to-add-new-flights-at-suvarnabhumi-airport/

image.png

-- © Copyright BANGKOK ONE NEWS 2023-03-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

54 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

The real problem might arise when the arrival numbers increase incredibly and nothing is resolved to relieve the forever issue at immigration. Talking a lot is not the same as an applied practice. 

All very business Thai. 

How long were you delayed at immigration?

It sounds (from the linked article) that this is more about which of the duopolies will get the business, or if there is a third company (can KingPower be far behind in ground services?) trying to wedge into this business.

Note that the ground services primary contractors also sub-contract out most of the services.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Note that the ground services primary contractors also sub-contract out most of the services.

Finished that thought...

So sub-contractors cannot start hiring until they "win" the contract.

Awarding slots BEFORE services are readied would be a major issue for EVRYONE.

I'm actually surprised all of the Chinese carriers have ramped up their own services: re-hiring/training/certifying staff, re-certifying dormant aircraft.

Ceasing flight ops is easy. Re-commencing them, less easy.

What's the over/under on "runway excusrions" once rainy season arrives?

Difficulty may be due pending final completion of a third runway forecasted for completion in 2023. It will boost capacity to 94 flights per hour and 90 million passengers per year. It had been previously approved prior to 2014 by previous administration's but apparently stalled by the 2014 military coup; approved again in April 2019 by Prayut's cabinet.

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Bring back the smoking rooms....

????

Now, this is something worth complaining about. 

I gave up smoking nearly 10 years ago, I reckon my monthly flights would have been very different without a smoking room at the gate. 

Beer drinking without a smoke, it's unthinkable. 

Edited by Cricky
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

So you agree that your repeated complains about complaining on the other thread  are not actually worth complaining about?  

OMG, not you again, I thought I got rid of you. ????

• Haha 2

Like many airports in the world, ground staff were laid off during Covid, they have now found more suitable employment and won’t return.

Speaking to the staff on a KLM flight that was the problem at Schipol and has led to flight changes and cancellations.

As long as the situation remains the same irrespective of the oil price the cost of flights won’t be reducing in the near future.