Visiting California / Rental car Insurance

Taking my bride to visit my kids soon !

I sold my car in California in 2019 before coming to Thailand to stay on a Marriage extension visa or whatever its called , Non O immigration visa based on marriage.

We are going for a couple of weeks and considering on renting a car but Im suspicious of rental car companies insurance purchasing tactics.

Anybody been to the states recently with a similar experience in renting a car especially in California?

I was thinking of buying my own car insurance instead of the car rental companies.

42 minutes ago, riclag said:

I was thinking of buying my own car insurance instead of the car rental companies.

I rent a car at SFO on arrival. The last 3 times I have used this company and have been happy. But I have been driving 50+ years and never really had an accident so I can't say on the cover and payout. But the rentals companies do honor this policy and in my eyes its much better than the rip off rates charged by the rental agencies...https://www.worldwideinsure.com/

• Thanks 1

When I go back to Los Angeles I rent from either Hertz or Enterprise.  I have been doing this twice a year and this is what I do.  I never purchase Supplemental Insurance from the rental companies.

1) Purchase a separate rental or it also commonly called Non Owner Insurance.  I get mine from USAA because I have been with them for 35 years.  The premium for this type is generally very low.

2) Check under the benefits section of the credit card you use to book the rental and see if you have LDW(loss Damage Waiver) coverage. My credit cards have LDW for up to 31 days when I rent a vehicle.  A word caution on LDW is that it probably does not offer liability coverage in case of an accident if you are at fault.  My Non Owner Insurance policy provides liability coverage.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, they will rip you off! And rental prices are insane...

When I was living in CA and rented often I had the best card to rent a car; Diner's Club.

It has Primary Rent Car Insurance.

"Use the Diners Club Card to travel, and automatically receive a package of travel insurance coverages such as travel accident, excess lost baggage and primary rental car collision damage insurance at no additional cost.

Now, when in the US, I rent from private persons. Check out craigslist, org for deals. Cars come usually with full (owners) insurance.

Sample; https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/aos/d/los-angeles-cars-for-rent-in-los/7602377224.html

• Thanks 1