TM30 update required?

Visa exempt entry.

I am staying at my Thai friends house.

Using the Section38 app, my Thai friend submited a TM30 within 24 hours of arrival.

• Check-in Date registered as expected

We needed to travel away for one night and stayed in a hotel (same Province). Hotel took copies of my passport and Thai friend's ID Card.

• I didnt ask hotel if they would submit a TM30

On returning to my friends night immediately after the 1 night away hotel stay, is it required to submit a new TM30 at my friends house?

Its now two weeks since arriving back at my Thai friends house.

• It has just come to mind that perhaps we haven't followed the TM30 requirements, by updating from the potential hotel TM30 back to my friends home address (new TM30).
  • Will the first TM30 Check-in Date still be valid as there was no Check-out Date?

46 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Do you plan to obtain an extension to your visa exempt entry? 

I have lodged an application for Non O Retirement and that was the reason for the overnight hotel stay, to attend Immigration Office in Maha Sarakham.

Non O Retirement is marked 'Under Consideration' and address used for the application was my Thai friends home. Friend's home, hotel, and Immigration Office are all in Maha Sarakham.

Edited by mayawame
Added info 'Under Consideration'; corrected spelling.

I use an agent now for all things IMM related. We live in Bangkok, and filed the TM.30 when the furore first arose, (pre-covid), and have lived in the same address. Last year in May we went to Koh Samui for 3 nights at an hotel, where they probably filed a TM.30. Upon returning to our address in Bangkok I asked the IMM if I/he needed to file a TM.30 or not.

He said "no". In October last year we went to Spain and upon return I again asked the same question. Again, the same answer: "no". Since the May trip, I have obtained a new passport and the stamps were transferred without any issue, and my agent has filed all the 90 day reports since, with no issues. I don't even pretend to understand when, why or how the TM.30 needs to be filed now.

7 minutes ago, samtam said:

I don't even pretend to understand when, why or how the TM.30 needs to be filed now.

I've lived full-time in the same place in BKK for my entire duration in Thailand, many years...

Never filed any TM-30 or was ever told I needed to for the better part of a decade until, as you noted, someone at Immigration got on their horse on that topic some years back and began requiring them big-time for a period of time. Caught me in that sweep as well, wouldn't do a new retirement extension without one...

Since then, heard nothing further about TM-30s...

The whole history of the TM-30s here seems to have been mostly arbitrary and capricious.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've lived full-time in the same place in BKK for my entire duration in Thailand, many years...

Never filed any TM-30 or was ever told I needed to for the better part of a decade until, as you noted, someone at Immigration got on their horse on that topic some years back and began requiring them big-time for a period of time. Caught me in that sweep as well, wouldn't do a new retirement extension without one...

The whole history of the TM-30s here seems to have been mostly arbitrary and capricious.

Exactly. I think the TM.30 has gone into hibernation again, to be brought out when another big joke is required.

14 minutes ago, samtam said:

Exactly. I think the TM.30 has gone into hibernation again, to be brought out when another big joke is required.

A friend returned from UK in January returned to samme address.

He recently Went to CW for 90 day report must "update TM30" cannot accept TM47 without update TM30

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, norbra said:

A friend returned from UK in January returned to samme address.

He recently Went to CW for 90 day report must "update TM30" cannot accept TM47 without update TM30

Did he enter with visa exempt/new visa OR return with reentry permit. 

If the later a TM30 should not have been required at CW. 

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Did he enter with visa exempt/new visa OR return with reentry permit. 

If the later a TM30 should not have been required at CW. 

Re-entry permit.

He had his wife with him (house owner) but did not have blue book.

So will try online " TM30 update"

14 minutes ago, norbra said:

Re-entry permit.

He had his wife with him (house owner) but did not have blue book.

So will try online " TM30 update"

The immigration officer was wrong. 

Doesn't help the guy much however a TM30 was not required.

Strange he didn't do the TM47 online. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

As I noted, that's why I decided 3 years ago to use an agent to do all things related to IMM (at CW). He is up to speed with whatever shenanigans there are at CW, and I fulfill my financial obligations (correct funds -THB800K) permanently in the bank, and all the letters from said bank, including a 1 year statement, plus passbook, plus letter etc etc. His fee is money well-spent as far as I'm concerned, and good for my blood pressure.

• Confused 1

On 3/25/2023 at 7:06 AM, mayawame said:

On returning to my friends night immediately after the 1 night away hotel stay, is it required to submit a new TM30 at my friends house?

If the first TM30 has an end date of stay later than your returning date, you don't need to do anything to my knowledge. When I have guests doing a trip somewhere else during their stay, I never re-do TM30s.

On 3/25/2023 at 3:25 PM, DrJack54 said:

I'm in CM, and latest online report was rejected. The only thing that changed was that since last online report I stayed one night at a resort on the Mae Rim - Samoeng Road, i.e. Chiang Mai province. Before that I had not stayed overnight anywhere since 2019 when we filed the TM30 after a foreign trip. On retirement O visa.

On 3/25/2023 at 1:53 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I didn't either for many years, coming and going, living in different places, different rentals. Non O retirement plus extensions, then non O marriage based. No issues. Suddenly announced it needs doing within 24 hrs of arrival or a fine( perhaps the fine income stream needed? who knows why ). Then utter confusion as to the circumstances that trigger the requirement. Every time you leave your habitual address, even for 1 night "down the road" and return? Only if you go to and return from a different Province? Only if you leave Thailand and return? Only for foreign tourists staying in hotels, condos, as your guest, for a holiday ( more reasonable)?

It's still not clear because different Immigration offices, even officers in the same office, will tell you different things about this obligation.

Currently mine tell me:

1. if you have a private address in Thailand as a foreigner the person named as housemaster in the Blue property registration book for the house/condo/room where you live must do it, and yes within 24 hours of your arrival there, or face possibility of a fine. But this is only required the first time you take up occupation there not for  temporary trips away anywhere within Thailand not even if you leave and return to Thailand, definitely not for a night out in your local town with an overnight in a hotel.

2. It must also be done if you leave Thailand and re- enter on a new visa or visa exempt as this breaks the continuity of your previous permission to stay.

Seems to work as I've been away for a night, for a week or longer in Thailand and exited and re - entered on a re entry permit, then done an online 90 day report with this address without my wife doing another TM 30.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

2. It must also be done if you leave Thailand and re- enter on a new visa or visa exempt as this breaks the continuity of your previous permission to stay.

Good post.

This is the bit some are missing. 

Some expats maintain continuous continuity of extensions.

Provided they do not change their address (usual residence) No TM30 is required for returning to that residence from trips to other provinces or trips out of Thailand.

Obviously they would need a reentry permit to keep the extension valid. 

Sadly some immigration offices are still waiting for the pigeon carrier to deliver the bulletin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2023 at 2:11 PM, mayawame said:

Thanks for replying.

Should any TM30 issues arise when I return to the Immigration Office next month, , I will update this thread.

IMHO. if same address for your annual extension let it ride. If you travel into another province let the Thai friend check-in. Keep your original TM.30 in your Passport. Thai Immigration can track you at any rate.

Edited by tandor

On 3/27/2023 at 2:57 PM, DrJack54 said:

CM appears to be one of the immigration offices that do not follow the new (June 2020) TM30 requirements. 

Where are the new/old requirements. I'm anxious to know whether we need to file a new TM30 when returning from abroad on a reentry permit (CM Immigration).

21 minutes ago, placnx said:

Where are the new/old requirements. I'm anxious to know whether we need to file a new TM30 when returning from abroad on a reentry permit (CM Immigration).

The link to new rules for TM30 (in June 2020 is outlined in first post of thread.

The point is some immigration offices are not following the rule.

Seems CM is one such office.

Oddly the post I refer to involves CM.. 

Specifically read 2.2

• Thanks 1