Leaving without cancelling work permit

Have there been any changes to the ramifications of leaving Thailand without cancelling an Extension of Stay based on work and the work permit?  

As I understood it previously, if you managed to make it out of the country, the only downside would be applying for another work-based extension and work permit in the future.  Is this still the case? How difficult would it be to come back a year or so later and start work again?

I'm about to do that myself. It's time for me to go home.

There's a form you need to get from the labor office. Take that to the appropriate officer at your work. They need to sign it and specify your last day at work. Be careful, on that day you must either leave the country, or get another extension.

So on the same day you go to the labor office to cancel your permit, then go to immigration. They'll give you an extra seven days, albeit expensive ones at 1900 baht, to leave. So do this a week or less before you've booked your flight.

Alternatively, if you're married you could get the extra 30 day "visiting the wife" extension.

There seems to be some flexibility with this. I recently was given a 21-days "Grace Period". 

I don't know how Immigration calculated that, nor what circumstantial information my employer's staff may have provided. My employer notified the Labor Office that my last day was to be 30 November, on 1 December, Immigration gave me permission to stay until 21 December, and I easily secured a fresh Non-O on 9 December.

Not a problem, since the decree a few years ago the responsibility is on employer to report your leaving within 15 days... I even tried to hand in the work permit myself and they were not interested. (PATHUM thani labour office)

Comment refers to Work Permit without Non-B (Non-O married visa is not affected)

Edited by Satcommlee

4 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Alternatively, if you're married you could get the extra 30 day "visiting the wife" extension.

60 days actually. In any event not applicable in the OP's case, I think, as I distinctly recall him saying on here previously that his wife is Laotian.

4 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

You get 60 day extension based on Thai family.

I have a BOI work permit and get 14 days for free.

10 hours ago, Caldera said:

There haven't been any changes. If that happens by accident, okay, things happen. But you really shouldn't be planning to do that, especially if you want to work in Thailand again later.

The best thing is to come to Thailand as a retired and enjoy the rest of your life here. Jobs make you too tired and stressed, not so good to live here. This is just my personal opinion

Edited by Jack1988
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OJAS said:

60 days actually. In any event not applicable in the OP's case, I think, as I distinctly recall him saying on here previously that his wife is Laotian.

ojas. I recall same 

Yes thinking same OJAS.

To OP...Some good advice in this thread.

Clear up  cancellation or work permit etc. Don't just exit. U

Edited by DrJack54

its up to that you will come back or not.

both options i dont understand why you just dont cancel it in a proper way. just being lazy for a 10min thing to do?

if you will come back, yes it will haunt you in many ways.. visa, new work permit, tax, etc.. if really not come back its totally up to your working place. they can sue you internationally. but its like 1 in a million situation.

if you leave thailand via land cross, most likely they will not let you go without a job termination letter. happened to my friends. but many people say no problem if you fly.

suggestion: if there is no problem (sounds like there is because you just want to go away) do the things in correct way. 

Edited by problemfarang