Curfews considered in harsher measures to control forest and farm fires

webfact

image.png

The Thai government may resort to harsher measures, including curfews in some areas, to deal with the lighting of forest fires and burning of farm waste, Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Varawut Silpa-archa warned today (Monday), as air pollution in northern and north-eastern provinces increases.

He said that the government does not want to impose harsh measures, which may affect a lot of people, but may have no choice if some continue to light fires in forests and burn their farm waste.

The minister disclosed that the Thai government has sought help from the Secretary-General of ASEAN, in reminding member countries about the cross-border haze problem and urging their citizens not to burn farm waste or light forest fires, but the problem persists.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/curfews-considered-in-harsher-measures-to-control-forest-and-farm-fires/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-03-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Well, something NEEDS to be done. I'm not suggesting that people need to be penalized, but the world cannot accept that just because some of the farmers have little money that they can cause such a catastrophic impact, on the planet along with the quality of life and health of so many. This may not even be a Thai issue, if supermarkets and their chain were to be made aware / put pressure on suppliers / pay more, then this yearly mess maybe wouldn't occur.

Why is it that field burners are a minority in my area? Every morning and night the village headmen are asking people over the PA systems not to burn fields, and on the most part, it's working - it's only a few selfish individuals that persist. Is ignorance linked to poverty?

I can only speak for rice but the paddy does need to be prepared for planting. Burning is done to get rid of the rice straw and control weeds and it is thought to help with the next crop. The straw can be ploughed in but from what I know there is a possibilty of damage to the plough disc (which the farmers would have to pay for) and that the straw in the ground is not ideal when it comes to planting. Neighbouring countries must also be considered as wind and smoke are not bound by borders. The straw could be harvested but this is an extra cost and there would need to be a market for it. If farmers still used buffalo it could I guess be used as fodder but this is no longer the case as farming proccesses are for the most part mechanised. Burning is considered the cheapest and thought of as beneficial. It's how to change this way of thinking and the practice of doing it that needs to be tackled not only in Thailand but Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar before any real progress can be made .....IMO.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

So money above 30,000 casualties a year?  Same logic apples to an armed but oso poor robber, its all forgiven cause hes poor.

People's health Vs People's livelihoods. It's an interesting ethical and moral dilemma. As for your analogy I remember an article about a teenager being beheaded and a boy having his hand chopped off for 'stealing' some bread out of a supermarket bin. They did what they did because they had no food. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Stop with the excuses…cheapest, damage to the plow….what about damage to one’s lungs and eyes? Who is paying for that?

retrain them into a different job

Good idea. Stop all rice, sugar etc production immidialtely. Well thought out comment.

• Confused 1

Easy solution...

Less Submarines and F-35, more tractors for the farmers... I belive for the price of a F-35 you can get 15-20 tractors brand new

Buy lets say 20-30 tractors per province and let them rent per day with a fair price for them so they don't need to buy their own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Joseph98765 said:

Easy solution...

Less Submarines and F-35, more tractors for the farmers... I belive for the price of a F-35 you can get 15-20 tractors brand new

Buy lets say 20-30 tractors per province and let them rent per day with a fair price for them so they don't need to buy their own.

Very few farmers don't have a tractor, or easy access to one.

The problem is allowing sugarcane leaves to be burned either in situ or on the ground.

The only way out of this is the demand all sugarcane is delivered with the leaves on and the big processors have to deal with them in a safe manner.....landfill?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

We live in about 2000 acres of rice fields and none of the rice straw is burned......it is piled up and used for cattle or left to breakdown in the fields.

The only place this doesn't happen is around BKK where greedy farmers try to get two crops a year.

There are other regions where 2 crops a year are possible because these places have access to irrigation. Generally the 1st crop is sold and the 2nd is mainly for domestic consumption. So not just greedy famers but yes these areas do burn off.

• Thanks 1

No need to burn rice straw this year any way,prices of hay are thru the roof!

Again,too little too late.

It is all to blame on the government,they have all year to deal with this but the same as every year they wait to pretend to do something when the people are choking.

Soon the rains are here and face is saved for another year.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

There are other regions where 2 crops a year are possible because these places have access to irrigation. Generally the 1st crop is sold and the 2nd is mainly for domestic consumption. So not just greedy famers but yes these areas do burn off.

I've said thanks....don't understand why we can't see who has posted what emoji wise????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

That's  the problem , they are not taking the problem seriously enough, 

they are fiddling while Thailand burns , and the population suffers from the

smoke , I have never heard of one aronist been caught , the arsonists are

not afraid to light fires ,because there are no one out there to catch them,

Get the Police , Army ,any volunteer's , out up in the hills , they could use

drones , helicopters , road blocks ,  catch some of these arsonists ,give

them prison terms , not 500 Baht fines , then they may realise it is not

acceptable to burn the forests, fields , that it affects' people's health and 

the tourist industry...It happens every year , same time , same places ,and

the cannot do anything to stop it, ....or wont.

regards worgeordie

Yeah that's right, in the spanish inquisition, they killed the sinners in front of everyone to let them know what can happen... get some arsonists, make an example punishment to let the rest what could happen...and maybe that can improve things, next movement...farmers.

9 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Very few farmers don't have a tractor, or easy access to one.

The problem is allowing sugarcane leaves to be burned either in situ or on the ground.

The only way out of this is the demand all sugarcane is delivered with the leaves on and the big processors have to deal with them in a safe manner.....landfill?

yes, that's why I said Less submarines....government or whoever is..

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

You are advocating taking income and food away from some of the poorest people in the land. Burning is the cheapest way.

Well speeding is the quickest way to travel to market

Should we also let them speed & kill on the highways & of course not fine them as they are poor?

Come on....Laws are enforced. I didn't say fine them or confiscate their lands but yeah if they continue to kill

folks with lung cancer etc etc of course there is a penalty. Not using the land for one season is mild compared to the

26,000 bad air related deaths in 2022 recently reported

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, mania said:

This burning farm waste or fields to clear for next crop is an easy one to fix

I mean the perfect square rice fields are burnt at night & black in the morning &

obvious what has happened

Patrol & find these charred Rai's. Penalty no usage for one season first offense

Farmers will think twice about clearing with fire if they cannot replant for a year of loss income

About lighting forest fires...enlist the Thai people themselves who love baht more than anything

Suddenly you have a deputized force of thousands patrolling looking for income

Offer a (anonymous) reward for folks to film with their phones any fire starters

Never going to happen.....sugarcane is the killer....all sugarcane to be delivered with their leaves attached.

• Thumbs Up 1