Where's The Beef?

I recently moved from Bangkok to Roiet. I'm looking for New Zealand Ribeye Steaks (frozen) and just plain ole ground beef in the area. I have checked out Lotus and Makro in Roiet. Surprised to find a Buttterball Turkey but no beef in site! Drove to Khon Kean figuring Tops or Lotus would have some beef there given lots more farangs. Was a little underwhelmed by Tops given it was much smaller than the ones in Bangkok and no beef in site. Lotus had a much better variety and found a few cheeses I can't get in Roiet but no steaks or ground beef. I didn't get to Makro or BigC in Khon Kean. Must be some good beef to be had somewhere around here. Help!

I recently moved from Bangkok to Roiet. I'm looking for New Zealand Ribeye Steaks (frozen) and just plain ole ground beef in the area. I have checked out Lotus and Makro in Roiet. Surprised to find a Buttterball Turkey but no beef in site! Drove to Khon Kean figuring Tops or Lotus would have some beef there given lots more farangs. Was a little underwhelmed by Tops given it was much smaller than the ones in Bangkok and no beef in site. Lotus had a much better variety and found a few cheeses I can't get in Roiet but no steaks or ground beef. I didn't get to Makro or BigC in Khon Kean. Must be some good beef to be had somewhere around here. Help!

Hey, welcome to Issan. It's a shoppers delight! :o

can u ask your wife? this is just silly. you cant find ground beef?

Silly, my sentiments exactly. The wife is as perplexed as I am but trust me we have looked high and low and can't find ground beef. I may have to resort to buying a meat grinder and making my own.

Thanks for the reply

Hey, welcome to Issan. It's a shoppers delight! :o

Nige,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it is a delight but adds a little adventure to the shopping routine! Generally, no problems in finding what I want or a suitable substitute but the beef thing is as SiamSquare123 points out is a bit silly.

thats funny, issan folks are known for eating raw beef (koi') try the local thai market...flies included

No problem with the flies as they don't charge extra for them. Lots of beef shops here but as with just about all meats, the locals always prefer to pound the meat, bones and all, in a klok (mortor and pestle) until it resembles a paste. Somehow a simple hamburger is just not the same when using mashed beef with bone fragments. Also, Brahman cattle are the only thing the local shops have and in my opinion are far better suited for riding than eating.

Thanks for the reply

thats funny, issan folks are known for eating raw beef (koi') try the local thai market...flies included

No problem with the flies as they don't charge extra for them. Lots of beef shops here but as with just about all meats, the locals always prefer to pound the meat, bones and all, in a klok (mortor and pestle) until it resembles a paste. Somehow a simple hamburger is just not the same when using mashed beef with bone fragments. Also, Brahman cattle are the only thing the local shops have and in my opinion are far better suited for riding than eating.

Thanks for the reply

The market stall should have its own grinder. just ask them to grind it for you. If that stall does not have a grinder try another stall. If that fails you can buy one of the grinders that fit onto the side of the table. You can also buy an attachment for the grinder and make your own sausages. Everything is possible you will get there in the end.

Thanks for the reply

The market stall should have its own grinder. just ask them to grind it for you. If that stall does not have a grinder try another stall. If that fails you can buy one of the grinders that fit onto the side of the table. You can also buy an attachment for the grinder and make your own sausages. Everything is possible you will get there in the end.

Sound advice. Will look into purchasing a grinder here in Roiet. The sausage idea is great.

Admittedly I'm in Surin, but the Makro here has beef and if you ask, they will mince it for you. I actually prefer to let the beef "hang" for a few days and then mince my own. Big C generally has beef mince or will mince it for you if you ask.

Check here for how I deal with the Thai beef:

http://www.farangpubs.com/category/food-guide/

Next time I'm in Makro Roiet will ask them. Thanks

The only good quality beef I have found in the Issan is at the Home Fresh Mart in Korat. It is almost as good of quality as you would get overseas. I drive from Surin to Korat every couple of months with a large cooler and stock my freezer with their meat. Here in Surin you can get ground beef at the Big C and Makro but the quality sucks. Big C and Makro steaks are only suitable for a slow cooker because they are tuff. Thai beef from the market is not edible. It is like trying to chew leather.

ah, yes...I raised this question a few years ago...where to find beef?...especially beef that's edible. Falang cuisine uses a lot of beef, ground and otherwise...burgers, chili, meatloaf, etc, etc, etc...

whenever I've been lucky enough to find beef in Suphanburi I grind it up in my super-duper Sanyo power grinder (hand carried on the airplane from Abu Dhabi to BKK). Use what you need and freeze the rest...

tutsi relaxes on his magnificent terrace with vodka and a meatloaf sandwich...life doesn't get much better... :o

Grinder? Crikes, use two knives, chop, chop, chop and you have mince.

I was one morning 'chopping' beef in the kitchen when the FG says "I'll do that, you'll be there all day". So she proceeds to chop away at the 1 kg of beef. She says "OK, that's done. I was much quicker". Then I gave her the other 2 kg!

I have found that the Beef from the "Thai French Beef Co-op" outside of Sakhon Nakhon is Excellent... They have cross bred several different breeds of cattle from Europe, US and Thailand and have come up with their own... Their whole operation is 1st Class and they slaughter, butcher, cut and vaccum pack your order right there while you wait... I make a run from Kalasin up there at least once a month and usually end up with a cooler full of Filets, T-Bones and Sirloins.... Sorry, they do not do Hamburger, and even acted insulted when we asked...

Anyway, the quality and taste is equal to some of the best that I have had anywhere, with the exception of the Kobbi Beef from Japan....

Pianoman