Thai Support Visa

OK this is out of curiosity. I am now awaiting confirmation of an upgrade from a non o visa to a 1 year visa to support a Thai spouse. My wife is extremely confident, but just in case they say no. Can I then go down to Penang to successfully get 4x90 day visit spouse visas?

Sorry but your post is not clear on what you are expecting to receive. There is no support a Thai spouse category.

Are you talking about a one year multi entry non immigrant O visa? That allows 90 day stays for a period of one year and is issued by a Consulate. Singapore will issue with marriage documents/wife ID card and proof of 400k in a bank account somewhere. KL might issue without bank account and Penang reportedly will also issue with an undefined bank account but we are not clear on requirements there yet. Home country honorary type Consulates will normally issue with marriage documents.

Or are you talking about one year extension of stay from Immigration? That will require documented proof of 40k per month family income but easily obtained if you meet the financial requirements and live together with your legal Thai wife.

In the event you do not have luck with above you should not have a problem obtaining single entry non immigrant O visas for 90 days each from Laos, Malaysia or Singapore.

It sounds to me as though he has applied for a one year extension, based on his marriage,

but is trying to cover his bases?

If your 1 year extension is refused, you can go to Singapore or KL and apply for a Non Imm multi-entry O visa.

The embassies are asking to see 400K in a bank account, not necessarily a Thai bank, plus

Marriage cert

Wife's id card

Household papers.

The multi-entry is what you mean by 4 x 90, I think.

In fact it will last you 15 months if you do you last visa run just before the visa expires.

Sorry for the confusion, but I am using the terms the immigration used. Her English is not too good, and my Thai is worse. However Astral hit the nail on the head. The 1st time I spoke to her shwe said it was 400K in the bank with 20,000 coming in every month. The 20,000 wasn't memtioned this time. Although she did apparently ask my wife if she had an income. 20,000 was written down for that question.

Thanks for the replies

Sorry for the confusion, but I am using the terms the immigration used. Her English is not too good, and my Thai is worse. However Astral hit the nail on the head. The 1st time I spoke to her shwe said it was 400K in the bank with 20,000 coming in every month. The 20,000 wasn't memtioned this time. Although she did apparently ask my wife if she had an income. 20,000 was written down for that question.

Thanks for the replies

Now I am confused.

If this is your first extension of a Non O based on marriage then you cannot do it with 400,000 Baht in the bank.

As Lopburi said you need to show a monthly income of 40,000 Baht.

Are you over age 50 by any chance? It sounds as if they are making up rules for retirement extension of stay rather than family. The first post with 400k in bank and 20k income (from you) would fit retirement. The new 650k and 40k family income perhaps makes sense if you have about 15k of the family income amount and they are still trying for the retirement option.

But if you are under age 50 have no clue. What immigration office are you using and have you asked another officer to confirm requirements?

Are you over age 50 by any chance? It sounds as if they are making up rules for retirement extension of stay rather than family. The first post with 400k in bank and 20k income (from you) would fit retirement. The new 650k and 40k family income perhaps makes sense if you have about 15k of the family income amount and they are still trying for the retirement option.

But if you are under age 50 have no clue. What immigration office are you using and have you asked another officer to confirm requirements?

Yes I think they are applying those rules. I'm 51 now. (I was 51 last year on one of my visa runs, but I was 50 again for the next one 90 days later :o ). My wife got her zeroes mixed up this morning, and said something about hok seng har muan. (Forgive my literal spelling) I have read the retirement topic here and I pee all over the requirements with the combined money in the bank and company pension. I am now waiting an email from my old employers confirming my pension. I was initially trying to avoid going up to Bangkok, I hate cities country boy born and bred. :D I have to go see the immigration lady when the proof has been emailed, so I will ask her then.