Phuket Taxi Mafia still out of control: Female foreign tourist terrified after altercation with ride hailing woman driver

webfact

ปกใส่คำพูด-New-2023-03-28T220527.850-768x433.jpg

Daily News Thai Caption: (The Phuket taxi mafia) are still at it!

Daily News reported that what they called the "Phuket Taxi Mafia" were still strutting their brazen stuff.

This followed the latest incident on the holiday island in the south of Thailand concerning the war between regular taxis and ride hailing services.

The media said that things in Phuket were like the Wild West - out of control.

12-30.jpg

A 40 second clip was uploaded to a site that translates as "so you wanna be famous".

It featured an altercation between a woman driver in a Toyota Yaris - a so-called "Bai Dam" or black plate cab used in a ride hailing service - and a male taxi driver.

Natsirin said that she had received a call to pick up a female foreign tourist from outside Central in Muang district.

28032023_133244838955920959_GateWay.jpg

The taxi cut in front of her then the driver threatened her. He also tried to get into the car by opening the left side door.

The female foreign tourist in the back was scared out of her mind. Especially as it seemed that the taxi driver wanted to address her.

28032023_133244838869186092_GateWay.jpg

Natsirin went to the Wichit police to register a complaint the next day, yesterday - but found herself charged with operating a service that was still not officially registered.

Meanwhile the police plan to speak to the threatening driver.

The app was not mentioned in this story leaving the reader to guess what it might be, notes ASEAN NOW.

To hear ASEAN NOW columnist Rooster's views on Taxi Mafia and ride hailing apps follow the LINK.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-03-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

28032023_133244838784181107_GateWay.jpg
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, beechbum said:

"What I think is most surprising how many people visit that island - and not just once"

After you post that you've visited twice...not the sharpest tool in the shed hey ????

The 2nd trip was a business trip. I made enough money with that to accept Phuket for two days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I think if you notice that taxis charge 2 or 10 times as much as they do i.e. in Bangkok then you realize that is a big rip-off. I don't mind if people earn money. But overcharging way too much is just annoying. For most people that starts with the taxi from the airport. 

We, the consumers, are "ripped off" by business to a greater or lesser extent every time we open our wallets - it's called capitalism and it's what makes the world go around.

In a few hours I will be going to Phuket airport - an hour's drive in a taxi for B800. I have no complaints, but many would lose sleep over it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What I think is most surprising how many people visit that island - and not just once.

They just can't get enough of Thai culture. Strange, isn't it. Problems in Phuket and in countless other aspects of Thailand are well documented, but still people teem in in their millions. Bizarre, but also why the Thais don't give a rat's fart.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

an hour's drive in a taxi for B800. I have no complaints, but many would lose sleep over it.

Well that actually doesn't seem that unreasonable.

If I compare with going from Pattaya to swampy which is about one and quarter to one and a half hour drive up the motorway which starts at around 1,100 baht. 

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I think if you notice that taxis charge 2 or 10 times as much as they do i.e. in Bangkok then you realize that is a big rip-off. I don't mind if people earn money. But overcharging way too much is just annoying. For most people that starts with the taxi from the airport. 

I get where Onemorefarang is coming from.

If you visit from another nation far removed in culture to Thai, even your home region in LOS where you're living and ensconced then Phuket is a shock to the wallet in some respects. 

Yes, renting a place is a renters market here too, especially for short term visits and prices shock especially those from up-country or even savvy BKK expats.

But beachy places are always like this. Go to Positano and rent a tiny hotel room with zero view and see how much you'll pay OMG! ????

Tourist stuff like boat rides to islands is costly, likewise the tourist traps of elephant abuse rides and other cr@p.

Paying 500 baht for a Harley Davidson t-shirt at a night market is also CRAZZZZEEEEE! but normal here if you are a tourist and don't know where to go to buy.

If you live here its different.

Yes it is somewhat more expensive than other parts of LOS but as you say its cheap as chips compared to my extremely expensive home-nation too.

Delicious gaffee buran for 20 baht! Amazing!!

The life here is idyllic for me/us. Golfing is insanely reasonable, chill, and truly superb. Food is delicious and varied etc etc.

If we don't want action we stay home and local and its super quiet and glorious.

The BS taxi rubbish is never an issue for us as we have cars, and even locals to call upon if we need anything transport.

I get it too, if you live anywhere in LOS and simply don't travel much, especially not overseas to different climes and cultures occasionally then 'going 'troppo' as we Aussies say is quite possible.

Going troppo can lead to grumpiness and walking around with a raincloud following you everywhere you go.

It's definitely a nail in the sandal of tourism and a turn-off for tourists to arrive and be smacked about the chops with insane mafia-taxi fares who drive like maniacs from the airport to their hotels. Nice introduction huh?!! 

Then after you survive that nightmare you walk to the local open-air mom n pop restaurant from the beachside hotel and get charged 300 baht for a plate of pad thai and 100 baht for a 50 baht beer! ouch!

Edited by Tropposurfer

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This followed the latest incident on the holiday island in the south of Thailand concerning the war between regular taxis and ride hailing services.

The media said that things in Phuket were like the Wild West - out of control.

It always has been.

8 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Taxi driver might have license to legally operate taxi but that doesn't give him rights to assault others.

By assaulting others, he is demonstrating that he is a danger to his passengers and others, and his license should be immediately revoked.

No one was assaulted.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

With all the concern the Government has (or says it has) about a "bad reputation" for Thailand, does it not realize that incidents like this very seriously damage the image of Thailand being a peaceful holiday destination, and will deter MANY tourists from visiting, after learning about price-gouging taxi mafias, and this type of behaviour from taxi driver thugs?

The authorities are apparently maintaining a delicate balance between damaging Thailand's image and their own personal fortunes.

• Thanks 1

In over 40 years I've been seriously conned once, in a business deal which, in hindsight, I was stupid to get involved in. However, foreigners being charged more than Thais for taxis, entry fees, accomodation etc etc has never bothered me. Only small money, not worth worrying about.