Jump to content

'What about these kids' right to life?' - Tributes for Nashvillle victims as gun control debate intensifies


onthedarkside
 Share

Recommended Posts

image.png.0864467c6937c4836f171d5b0b0979bf.png

 

Through the day, old and young, some in school uniform, gather to place flowers and stuffed toys at the school sign, they cry, embrace each other and wonder why this has happened here, in their affluent suburb of Nashville.

 

There is anger, too, about America's gun laws.

 

The shooter, Audrey Hale, was able to purchase seven guns legally from five local gun shops, three of them, including two automatic rifles, were used in Monday's shooting.

 

https://news.sky.com/story/what-about-these-kids-right-to-life-tributes-for-nashvillle-victims-as-gun-control-debate-intensifies-12844605

 

image.png.8033fc895fa83122f8818dec54a3285d.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, James105 said:

America, after Sandy Hook, decided collectively that a child's right to life is less important than an American's right to purchase and own semi-automatic rifles with as little fuss as possible.   Every democratic vote taken since then has reaffirmed this.   

 

If American's wanted a different approach that didn't involve their kids getting gunned down at school they would have voted for it by now.   School shootings are here to stay.   

Public opinion is fickle, in all directions.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

While it's easy to say that gun control would stop the mass killings, in a country awash with guns I doubt it would make any difference. If banned from legal sale they would be available on the black market. Also, if a ban was actually possible, IMO most would go out and buy them before it became law.

 

America is such a dangerous country with armed criminals that I doubt many want to be unable to defend their family in the event of a home invasion.

 

Anyway, to actually make a real difference, the constitution would have to be amended, and I doubt that would happen.

  • Sad 3
  • Love It 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, onthedarkside said:

The shooter, Audrey Hale, was able to purchase seven guns legally from five local gun shops, three of them, including two automatic rifles, were used in Monday's shooting.

I doubt that is correct. IMO it should be semi automatic rifles. I doubt anyone can walk into a gun shop and buy automatic weapons ( keep firing as long as finger on trigger ) without a special permit.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, James105 said:

America, after Sandy Hook, decided collectively that a child's right to life is less important than an American's right to purchase and own semi-automatic rifles with as little fuss as possible.   Every democratic vote taken since then has reaffirmed this.   

 

If American's wanted a different approach that didn't involve their kids getting gunned down at school they would have voted for it by now.   School shootings are here to stay.   

Have to agree.  Yes, you'd think something would happen after Sandy Hook, but it didn't.  I thought the Vegas shooting in 2017 where a guy killed roughly 60 concert goers might move the needle a bit.  Still, crickets.  We're to the point now where there's so many guns in circulation that no amount of legislation will fix the problem.  Not that lawmakers in the GOP have any incentive/spine to do anything at all.  So we will see many, many more gun deaths in the USA....forever.  Guaranteed.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt that is correct. IMO it should be semi automatic rifles. I doubt anyone can walk into a gun shop and buy automatic weapons ( keep firing as long as finger on trigger ) without a special permit.

True. So called reporters who do not understand  even the basic mechanics of firearms should not report on the issue.

  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

It really is very simple.

 

The funding provided by the National Rifle Association to a large proportion of the political establishment prevents them from taking any meaningful action.

 

Money means more to them than children's lives.

How much does the NRA spend on lobbying per year?

  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

True. So called reporters who do not understand  even the basic mechanics of firearms should not report on the issue.

Do you understand the basic mechanics of firearms then?
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

These mind blowing tragedies are destined to continue.......the genie is out of the bottle........the NRA, having bribed those in power, have been allowed brainwash far too many gullible idiots that it is their God given right to own/carry a gun.

 

Merry Christmas

 

 

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 06.43.49.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 06.44.30.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 06.44.13.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 06.43.58.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

NRA is irrelevant, but politicians will take their money.

 

People vote, and apparently, want the ability to own weapons to defend themselves.  With or without the NRA, Americas like their firearms.

 

More laws don't work either, since not enforced or long sentences given out when enforces.

 

You'll never stop a nutter anyway.  He would have killed them by other means if not have a gun, though yes, a bit harder, maybe, or not.   Nothing to stop someone from plowing down a school yard full of kids with their car, if people really want to hurt kids.

 

Raise your kids properly or solve the crime problem, and people may consider the need for guns isn't necessary.

 

More laws & restrictions:

image.png.1a5c9d210dd5bf3804822a46680287ba.png

  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Party lines have nothing to do with owning or restricting firearms.

 

Both parties have controlled Congress & Presidency, and nothing has changed.  Can't blame, or you can blame both parties for the laws or lack of.

 

You could ban the manufacture and importation of firearms, if you really wanted to.  Very simple to do, and wouldn't violate the Constitution's 2nd Amendment.

 

How come nobody suggests that ... oh that's right, being the largest arms dealing country would be a bit hypocritical and counter to corporate profits.

 

Want to stop the killing, stop making, importing them, and give out death sentence when a criminal simply possesses them.

 

Give it a year, and criminals will stop owning firearms, if the sentence fits the crime.

 

Big IF  ...  close the revolving doors at prison.  A murderer is usually repeat criminal ... not his, her, it's first crime...

... nuff said

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Chump change.

 

You want to know the REAL big spenders on lobbying? The NRA isnt even on the list. Top is the Chamber of Commerce(nearly $60 million per year), National Association of Realtors, then several Big Pharma/Big Medical groups. 

 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/257344/top-lobbying-spenders-in-the-us/

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

These mind blowing tragedies are destined to continue.......the genie is out of the bottle........the NRA, having bribed those in power, have been allowed brainwash far too many gullible idiots that it is their God given right to own/carry a gun.

 

Merry Christmas

 

 

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 06.43.49.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 06.44.30.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 06.44.13.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 06.43.58.jpg

Nice way to try and demean these good people. How many of them have ever committed a crime with the weapons they so proudly display?  

  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Gun control is not the answer. The best we can do is to have a armed police officer in every school. Expensive yes, but if this needs to be done than do it.

They had that in one school, I believe he was more concerned about himself, than doing his job.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/05/15/fact-check-parkland-officer-who-failed-act-shooting-gets-job-back/5194831002/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/22/stoneman-douglas-shooting-armed-guard-did-not-go-in

 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

These mind blowing tragedies are destined to continue.......the genie is out of the bottle........the NRA, having bribed those in power, have been allowed brainwash far too many gullible idiots that it is their God given right to own/carry a gun.

 

Merry Christmas

 

 

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 06.43.49.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 06.44.30.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 06.44.13.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 06.43.58.jpg

When crime is pretty much out of control ( as it apparently is ) I'd prefer those people to be on my side than the sort that want to make us defenceless against well armed criminals.

  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When crime is pretty much out of control ( as it apparently is ) I'd prefer those people to be on my side than the sort that want to make us defenceless against well armed criminals.

Three of those shown in the photos went on to murder 18 innocent people between them.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Three of those shown in the photos went on to murder 18 innocent people between them.

OK, I'd rather have all the ones that didn't murder innocent people on my side than those that want me to be defenceless against well armed criminals.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Chump change.

 

You want to know the REAL big spenders on lobbying? The NRA isnt even on the list. Top is the Chamber of Commerce(nearly $60 million per year), National Association of Realtors, then several Big Pharma/Big Medical groups. 

 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/257344/top-lobbying-spenders-in-the-us/

Who cares about the Chamber of Commerce etc. They have no legislative responsibilities. Rather lame deflection. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

How much does the NRA spend on lobbying per year?

A quick dip into the available figures tells us that they spent $20.700,000 on political funding in 2014.

 

I also was amazed to read that Senator Mitt Romney has, throughout his career, received $13,647,676.

 

Eye watering amounts, which surely should raise questions?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Who cares about the Chamber of Commerce etc. They have no legislative responsibilities. Rather lame deflection. 

I think you misunderstand.  The CofC is a political lobby group, just like the NRA. They operate the same way- both try to influence lawmakers. Difference is in scale. I will write more below.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...