Power Cut Prevention.

NoshowJones

Can anyone tell me what you call the thing that you connect to your desktop that stops the computer from stopping caused by a power cut.

I want to buy one and need to know what to ask for as my local engineer does not speak English. Thanks.

Yup, a UPS is the animal in question.

Do be aware that most of them only last long enough for you to save your work if the power is actually out rather than just a blip.

If you want to continue working for hours then you're going to need a generator as well.

What's your actual requirement?

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Do be aware that most of them only last long enough for you to save your work if the power is actually out rather than just a blip.

If you want to continue working for hours then you're going to need a generator as well.

All I want to do is protect my computer from any potential damage. Two nights ago the computer was shut down four times within  about two mins with these power cuts. I kept turning it back on three times in a row, then just left it the fourth time.

• Like 1

Many UPS models include a USB port which you connect to your computer.  You also install software on your computer which will shut down the system in a proper, safe manner after there has been a power outage for a certain time period.  Look for a model that has that feature.

I have a Cleanline brand that I bought at Banana and it keeps my computer and monitor running for over 35 minutes what the power goes out.

• Like 1

I have a relatively large APC unit that has 2 batteries. I did buy it second hand so got it reasonably cheap.

I run 2 computers plus heaps of accessories including my my 49" TV and apple TV and sound bar. Been watching TV at night and happen to look outside and pitch black. Power has gone off by my stuff still running. Don't get too long with all the stuff running. I start shutting stuff down. UPS has a remaining time indicator and if time gets near the end I shut computer down. You can buy an extra battery pack unit that plugs directly into and gives you quite a long time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, transam said:

By an extension lead with a surge protector in it, or solder one in your own lead. Will help protect from voltage surge from any source....????

Or fit one in your Consumer Unit, formerly known as a Fuse Box.

On 3/31/2023 at 12:03 PM, Crossy said:

you do not need a generator that is stupid     if you require to keep working u need a 12v inverter and battery this will give you aproxx 8 hrs of power for a pc can increase if u get more batterys

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

you do not need a generator that is stupid     if you require to keep working u need a 12v inverter and battery this will give you aproxx 8 hrs of power for a pc can increase if u get more batterys

You haven't seen my PC ???? 

• Haha 1

Battery systems are simple and silent, but they have one big drawback, they run out of juice.

Let's do some sums.

An average 300W desktop PC running for 8 hours would need about 2.4kWh of energy.

At 12V that would be about 200Ah of battery, if it's lead-acid you'd need twice that unless you want to kill your batteries in short order. So, 400Ah of batteries.

Looking on Lazada I can get a decent 100Ah deep cycle battery for about 4,000 Baht. Need 4 of those = 16,000 Baht. Add on your inverter and a decent charger, maybe another 4k Baht.

And you still have to charge your pack up again afterwards, at a reasonable 20A charge that's 10 hours. That's 10 hours where you'd really not want another power failure.

You can also guarantee that your load won't just be your PC (and router), you'd like a fan and a small light too, maybe the TV for your lady, it all adds up.

Seriously, if you want to go over 1-2 hours, get a baby genset, it will run forever so long as you have fuel in stock.

Out of interest. Our 12kWh battery pack (charged by our solar panels, for free) will run the whole house, including one A/C for about 8 hours (all night if we forgo the A/C and just run a fan). When that runs out the 5kVA genset will power everything for about 15 hours on a tank by which time the sun will have (hopefully) put in an appearance and be running the house and charging the batteries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Battery systems are simple and silent, but they have one big drawback, they run out of juice.

Let's do some sums.

An average 300W desktop PC running for 8 hours would need about 2.4kWh of energy.

At 12V that would be about 200Ah of battery, if it's lead-acid you'd need twice that unless you want to kill your batteries in short order. So, 400Ah of batteries.

Looking on Lazada I can get a decent 100Ah deep cycle battery for about 4,000 Baht. Need 4 of those = 16,000 Baht. Add on your inverter and a decent charger, maybe another 4k Baht.

And you still have to charge your pack up again afterwards, at a reasonable 20A charge that's 10 hours. That's 10 hours where you'd really not want another power failure.

You can also guarantee that your load won't just be your PC (and router), you'd like a fan and a small light too, maybe the TV for your lady, it all adds up.

Seriously, if you want to go over 1-2 hours, get a baby genset, it will run forever so long as you have fuel in stock.

Out of interest. Our 12kWh battery pack (charged by our solar panels, for free) will run the whole house, including one A/C for about 8 hours (all night if we forgo the A/C and just run a fan). When that runs out the 5kVA genset will power everything for about 15 hours on a tank by which time the sun will have (hopefully) put in an appearance and be running the house and charging the batteries.

Intresting  but very misleading assumtions, you need to do more reseach in batterys for one, and inverters  i run a solar inverter and 1  200ah c20 battery i run a 1000w desktop, fan,  router,  printer the pc is not pulling 1000watts as i just watch a movie   i easly get more that 8hour  and this is all auto with the ups function of the inverter  some times i do not know we have a power cut,  ups function i belive are not on gensets  so small power cuts are a pain for gensets also have to take into account noise, fumes, on going cost fuel the whole point is what is the best ups for a pc and in my opion it is a c20 battery and inverter with ups funtion  NOT A GENSET

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

Intresting  but very misleading assumtions, you need to do more reseach in batterys for one, and inverters  i run a solar inverter and 1  200ah c20 battery i run a 1000w desktop, fan,  router,  printer the pc is not pulling 1000watts as i just watch a movie   i easly get more that 8hour  and this is all auto with the ups function of the inverter  some times i do not know we have a power cut,  ups function i belive are not on gensets  so small power cuts are a pain for gensets also have to take into account noise, fumes, on going cost fuel the whole point is what is the best ups for a pc and in my opion it is a c20 battery and inverter with ups function  NOT A GENSET

If you are happy with what you have then all is right with the world.

The whole game is horses for courses.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

Intresting  but very misleading assumtions, you need to do more reseach in batterys for one, and inverters  i run a solar inverter and 1  200ah c20 battery i run a 1000w desktop, fan,  router,  printer the pc is not pulling 1000watts as i just watch a movie   i easly get more that 8hour  and this is all auto with the ups function of the inverter  some times i do not know we have a power cut,  ups function i belive are not on gensets  so small power cuts are a pain for gensets also have to take into account noise, fumes, on going cost fuel the whole point is what is the best ups for a pc and in my opion it is a c20 battery and inverter with ups funtion  NOT A GENSET

How long is the run time on this system if there is a power outage at night? 

51 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

How long is the run time on this system if there is a power outage at night? 

can u not read  i said get 8 + hrs, do not know what differnce power out at night or day, to me power out is power out,  another stupid remark

Edited by MikeandDow

3 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

can u not read  i said get 8 + hrs

I Googled "c20 battery" and only a small battery comes up.  See from an article on the first page of Google.

https://naturalenergyhub.com/solar-energy/differences-c10-c20-rated-solar-batteries/

The battery looks small, and not something like one of these.  See the next link.

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall/design

I was just wondering, during a daytime power outage, if the solar panels were charging the c20 battery while you were using your electronics and discharging the battery at the same time, hence, the 8 hour run time.

You never mentioned anything about about "night" use.  

On 3/31/2023 at 12:03 PM, Crossy said:

I use my car and a 12v 500w inverter , 500bht from Lazada, I have wired one room so I can isolate the mains, incase it comes back on, enough to run a 50w floor fan, internet modem, TV 50w and laptop. :coffee1: Obviously engine running A/C turned off. :coffee1: 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I Googled "c20 battery" and only a small battery comes up.  See from an article on the first page of Google.

https://naturalenergyhub.com/solar-energy/differences-c10-c20-rated-solar-batteries/

The battery looks small, and not something like one of these.  See the next link.

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall/design

I was just wondering, during a daytime power outage, if the solar panels were charging the c20 battery while you were using your electronics and discharging the battery at the same time, hence, the 8 hour run time.

You never mentioned anything about about "night" use.  

for gods sake What has night to do with it, i have told u what i run  No lights if u are thinking that but can if u want depends on the ah on battery u need to do more reseach into batterys

15 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I use my car and a 12v 500w inverter , 500bht from Lazada, I have wired one room so I can isolate the mains, incase it comes back on, enough to run a 50w floor fan, internet modem, TV 50w and laptop. :coffee1: Obviously engine running A/C turned off. :coffee1: 

expensive

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

expensive

Not sure if you are joking, Why One switch is all that is needed, and a few liters of petrol, presuming one already has a car. :cheesy:

Edited by brianthainess

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Not sure if you are joking, Why One switch is all that is needed. 

So fuel is free  that is the same as a genset not sure if gensets have ups function ?? i know a car does not and thats the whole point Ups cuts in if power loss even micro seconds happens  the pc does not shutdown

Edited by MikeandDow

7 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

What has night to do with it,

8 minutes ago, MikeandDow said:

u need to do more reseach into batterys

It's you who needs to do more research into how a battery is connected to solar panels and inverter. 

I'd like to suggest a short course in writing skills, as well.  You struggle to convey your thoughts to the reader. 

9 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

It's you who needs to do more research into how a battery is connected to solar panels and inverter. 

I'd like to suggest a short course in writing skills, as well.  You struggle to convey your thoughts to the reader. 

I already have a solar system works fine and as far as a writing course no need as i write published short storys had no complaints , dont post if u have nothing constructive  to say to the current topic

• Haha 2