Current situation to get drivers license renewal in Phuket

jnak

Since much has changed in Phuket over the last few years, I wanted some updated information if anyone has it please.

I need to renew my Thai license (from a 5 year) but will be moving to Phuket from another province in the next few months. I have looked into the DLT Smart Queue App, and it seems there are no appointments available until October.

Does anyone know if this accurate and is the only way to renew? By then my license will be expired several months, but maybe that doesn't matter much.

Also, do we need to complete the video and get a certificate beforehand?

And need a health certificate and residency certificate as well?

Thanks so much in advance. 

Edited by jnak

A friend of mine went to get his 5 year renewed on January 25. He walked in with all of the papers (medical certificate, passport/license copies, etc). They checked his papers and gave him an appointment to return on April 18.

He had already completed the online video and had hoped he could just do the color blind and reaction tests and get it renewed. Nope. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A friend of mine at the beginning of the year tried to get his license in Phuket. Got an appointment two or three months down the line even though he had all paperwork ready. He went to Koh Samui where he could just walk in without appointment and do it all in a few hours. You can also consider a few other DLTs in the vicinity of Phuket.

The DLT in Phuket is totally overloaded in terms of issueing licenses and it does not seem like they are even attempting to realize that several months waiting times are not acceptable let alone fixing the issue. It's not a new problem either.

Thanks for the insight. We could just get them renewed in prachuap khiri khan, but we were hoping to have our new address in Phuket on it. Maybe no big deal though. Sounds like it’s much easier to do it somewhere else. 
Thanks again. 

3 hours ago, jnak said:

Thanks for the insight. We could just get them renewed in prachuap khiri khan, but we were hoping to have our new address in Phuket on it. Maybe no big deal though. Sounds like it’s much easier to do it somewhere else. 
Thanks again. 

If you want your new address on it then move first, get the certificate of residence from immigration in Phuket and do a day trip to another DLT like Phang Na to get the license.

• Like 1

I did my 2 years, my 5 years had expired more than 12 months due to my absence from Thailand. Early March, without appointment arrived at around 8am, did colour and reaction, then upstairs for passing the 50 questions on the computer. Was out at 12.30 pm with the license, the longest wait was for the photo, and yes it was full.

3 hours ago, chercheur888 said:

I did my 2 years, my 5 years had expired more than 12 months due to my absence from Thailand. Early March, without appointment arrived at around 8am, did colour and reaction, then upstairs for passing the 50 questions on the computer. Was out at 12.30 pm with the license, the longest wait was for the photo, and yes it was full.

Need to pass 50 questions test to renew the license? I thought this is needed only 1st time when getting 1st licence (with driving test)?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Need to pass 50 questions test to renew the license? I thought this is needed only 1st time when getting 1st licence (with driving test)?

As my previous 5 yr. licence  expired for more than 12 months, was not possible to simply renew and had to get a 2 yr. (temporary) with the exam, but no driving test.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anybody knows if you can renew your DL in every province ?

I live in Phuket and have yellow book, but i'm often in Phang Nga as i have a second house there and it isn't a problem for me to go to the FLT there.

5 hours ago, merijn said:

Does anybody knows if you can renew your DL in every province ?

I live in Phuket and have yellow book, but i'm often in Phang Nga as i have a second house there and it isn't a problem for me to go to the FLT there.

It was mentioned already a few times in this thread.

10 hours ago, eisfeld said:

It was mentioned already a few times in this thread.

Yes but it does not mention if those people are registered at a address in those provinces which is required so far i know.

I'm registered in Phuket and not in Phang Nga where i would like to do my DL if possible.

3 hours ago, merijn said:

Yes but it does not mention if those people are registered at a address in those provinces which is required so far i know.

I'm registered in Phuket and not in Phang Nga where i would like to do my DL if possible.

No you don't need to be registered in the local province.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was at DLT in Phuket yesterday and today, a Thai friend was renewing license but as it was expired had to do 50 question test...., and failed - didn't listen to me to practice a bit....!!! ????

In fact even the video test was done online by sister (wink wink), appointment booked for next day online by sister too - yes, next day !!!! ?

The appointment was for yesterday,  We went yesterday around 12, they said come back today at 8am to do the test, which she failed ...! ????

I don't know, maybe they give appointment for Thais quickly...! 

19 hours ago, Agusts said:

I was at DLT in Phuket yesterday and today, a Thai friend was renewing license but as it was expired had to do 50 question test...., and failed - didn't listen to me to practice a bit....!!! ????

In fact even the video test was done online by sister (wink wink), appointment booked for next day online by sister too - yes, next day !!!! ?

The appointment was for yesterday,  We went yesterday around 12, they said come back today at 8am to do the test, which she failed ...! ????

I don't know, maybe they give appointment for Thais quickly...! 

How long was her licence expired? One poster mentioned that his license was expired for more than 12 months so he has to do the tests.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/22/2023 at 6:17 AM, sallecc said:

How long was her licence expired? One poster mentioned that his license was expired for more than 12 months so he has to do the tests.

Expired more than 1 year...., Only needed written test, no practical test was required..., well, as far as I know... - this was motorbike only...

I also watched the minivan and trucks doing practical test while I was waiting, this must be the biggest joke of an exam there is - Thai authorities are not ashamed of these kind of tests, how can they establish someone is qualified with these tests....!?!? 

Edited by Agusts