internet

mosquitobill

I wanted to use a different router when I got 3BB fibre installed 3 years ago. Previously using top end Asus and Netgear routers so wanted to get all the features (VPN) in my case, by using one of those. Just couldn't find a way to replace the 3BB (Huawei) supplied fibre router. Was able to add a second router for VPN but not replace entirely the 3BB. 

Now, after 3 years, I have to say I'm actually very happy with the supplied 3BB router. The signal is strong, it has WiFi 6 ax so it is fast at 900/500mbps real speeds and it has proved reliable too.

As for security, I can't comment on that except to hope that 3BB/Huawei aren't intercepting too much traffic ???? 

• Confused 1

What are you actually trying to achieve?

There are a number of ways to set up your new router without actually removing the supplied one (and losing the technical support that comes with it).

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, The Fugitive said:

Perhaps (like my own router at home), it transmits 2.4Ghz only?

The OP was quoting 3BB as his ISP, who's routers are dual band, and they upgrade them every year or so. Mine IS NOT Huawei.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The OP was quoting 3BB as his ISP, who's routers are dual band, and they upgrade them every year or so. Mine IS NOT Huawei.

Thanks! I was thinking UK where your router is covered only whilst you remain 'in contract'.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks! I was thinking UK where your router is covered only whilst you remain 'in contract'.

I am sure it is the same here. If I quit my 3BB contract, they will take THEIR router back.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Every year or so? They have never upgraded a router, only when I switched to VDSL very many years ago I got a new Huawei without 5GHz WiFi. But in the end it wouldn't have made a difference. 2.4GHz WiFi was still enough for the internet speed I got. But now I've changed to a SIM card router anyway and 3BB VDSL is history for me.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I am sure it is the same here. If I quit my 3BB contract, they will take THEIR router back.

I was advised by call centre staff (Talk Talk) to always remain 'in contract', that way my/their router would be replaced free of charge if it failed. Also, I would benefit from whatever introductory offer applied at time of renewal. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I was advised by call centre staff (Talk Talk) to always remain 'in contract', that way my/their router would be replaced free of charge if it failed. Also, I would benefit from whatever introductory offer applied at time of renewal. 

Let's stick to Thailand.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Before we had fibre optic in our area I had a TOT contract, where they ran 1km of cable to a tower at the local school.  When I canceled that, they left the cable and router in place.

I then went to 3BB, who were the first to provide fibre optic here.  When I cancelled that, because True had a better offer, they just disconnected us at their end but left the cable from our place, still connected to the main one on the street, and the router in place.  Maybe hoping we'd go back to them at some point?  Though, they'd better supply a better one if we do. 

So we now have two cables to the street, another one going all the way to the school, and three routers.  Only one of which provides internet. (Along with a length of co-ax cable that years ago ran to a Lox Info satellite dish when that was our only internet option.  Luckily, the dish, and router for that, were taken away when we cancelled, but the old True Visions dish, which was originally a UBC one back in the day, was left when we went to fibre optic with True.  Anyone wanting to know the history of the internet in rural Thailand can book an appointment to view it here - and that also includes a CAT USB dongle that was used between the Lox Info and TOT epochs).

Edited by ballpoint
  • Haha 2

Use the existing Router, and configure it "Bridge mode" or if not possible use the DMZ feature, which should be available on most routers to send all Incoming traffic to your "better" router, to handle everything there.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Before we had fibre optic in our area I had a TOT contract, where they ran 1km of cable to a tower at the local school.  When I canceled that, they left the cable and router in place.

I then went to 3BB, who were the first to provide fibre optic here.  When I cancelled that, because True had a better offer, they just disconnected us at their end but left the cable from our place, still connected to the main one on the street, and the router in place.  Maybe hoping we'd go back to them at some point?  Though, they'd better supply a better one if we do. 

So we now have two cables to the street, another one going all the way to the school, and three routers.  Only one of which provides internet. (Along with a length of co-ax cable that years ago ran to a Lox Info satellite dish when that was our only internet option.  Luckily, the dish, and router for that, were taken away when we cancelled, but the old True Visions dish, which was originally a UBC one back in the day, was left when we went to fibre optic with True.  Anyone wanting to know the history of the internet in rural Thailand can book an appointment to view it here - and that also includes a CAT USB dongle that was used between the Lox Info and TOT epochs).

Enjoyed reading this very much! Our shop had umpteen severed fibre cables dangling over the awning. Mrs climbed a stepladder and chopped them. Since then several more have 'appeared'. A few months back PEA rerouted their cables onto new poles because of road/pavement improvement work. They simply cut all the fibre cables on their old poles. Naturally, we and others in our road complained about loss of internet. It took several visits and promises to call back from all the various ISP's before everyone's internet was restored. I'm guessing the PEA did that because they had no way of knowing which data cables were redundant and which were in use?    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

They simply cut all the fibre cables on their old poles. Naturally, we and others in our road complained about loss of internet. It took several visits and promises to call back from all the various ISP's before everyone's internet was restored. I'm guessing the PEA did that because they had no way of knowing which data cables were redundant and which were in use?    

Could they not have asked around. Communications companies are in the communication business?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, champers said:

Could they not have asked around. Communications companies are in the communication business?

It was the PEA that cut all the ISP's data cables. I couldn't believe it when I saw the guy with a huge pair of bolt cutters/shears hacking away at our fibre communication cables. Maybe the PEA don't care and regard the data cables as just a nuisance hindering their own work? It took three visits by AIS engineers before our new cable was strung and we were connected again.

20 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Well although you talk of a foreign ISP the point is valid. If you do have some internet problems, the repair guy may well not want to fix for free some strange router. I haven't had a component failure for a while, but it might come with the thunderstorms ... lightening strikes in the garden caused a few. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2023 at 9:26 AM, Crossy said:

OK.

A couple of questions: -

What model is your existing router?

What model do you want to replace it with?

Are you on ADSL, fibre or cable internet? (or something else)

Do you have access to your existing router's configuration pages? (We would need this to extract your current connection credentials)

my existing modem/router is Huawei VDSL 4 port WIFI and I want to replace it with tp-link TD-W9970 300Mbps wireless N  USB VDSL/ADSL Modem/router and I have access to my existing routers connection pages

11 minutes ago, mosquitobill said:

my existing modem/router is Huawei VDSL 4 port WIFI and I want to replace it with tp-link TD-W9970 300Mbps wireless N  USB VDSL/ADSL Modem/router and I have access to my existing routers connection pages

I have both routers and I think I set up long time ago the TP-Link that it works with 3BB. I will check in the evening because I have to go somewhere now. Will report then here my results. But if you have the 3BB user and password normally no problem. It is in your contract..

16809387914350.jpg

4 hours ago, mosquitobill said:

Many thanks

I don't know how fit you are with routers. Can you login? If not we do this tomorrow. I am busy today. But if you can login then select like shown in the first picture DSL Modem Router Mode and save. 

Then got to Network WAN Settings - see 2nd picture. If there is an entry then go to edit on the right side. If there is no entry then click on add. Just looked again... It is easier for you if you delete an existing entry and add a completely new one. 

Now you should see the last picture. Enter/select everything like there. The red is your 3BB User and there is also the 3BB password. You find this in your 3BB documents. If everything is correct then press save and then try to connect this router to the phone line. 

If there are still problems I will have time tomorrow again. 

TP-Link 1.jpg

TP-Link 3.jpg

TP-Link 4.jpg

Edited by Mickeymaus

5 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I don't know how fit you are with routers. Can you login? If not we do this tomorrow. I am busy today. But if you can login then select like shown in the first picture DSL Modem Router Mode and save. 

Then got to Network WAN Settings - see 2nd picture. If there is an entry then go to edit on the right side. If there is no entry then click on add. Just looked again... It is easier for you if you delete an existing entry and add a completely new one. 

Now you should see the last picture. Enter/select everything like there. The red is your 3BB User and there is also the 3BB password. You find this in your 3BB documents. If everything is correct then press save and then try to connect this router to the phone line. 

If there are still problems I will have time tomorrow again. 

TP-Link 1.jpg

TP-Link 3.jpg

TP-Link 4.jpg

Are you still here? Did you try the settings?

If you don't know how to login no problem. I can tell you. But then you should tell me if the router is new or was used by someone already. Because then we should do a factory reset first. Almost one o'clock in the morning.  Now good night ????

On 4/8/2023 at 2:31 PM, mosquitobill said:

Many thanks

Are you still interested in fixing this? It is easy. I can tell you every single step since I have the same router here. If I don't hear anything from you within the next 3 days I will pack it away again because I don't use it anymore. I will not unpack it then anymore.