Pattaya Police and Immigration on the hunt !

Social Media

And I guess during the crazy days of Songkran none of them will be seen here and the bars can do what they want?! PLEASE show me that it will be not like this ???????????????????????? this time. But I have little hope ????

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

These Immigration police (and Pattaya police) are very honest, right? They couldn't possibly be looking for cash bonuses. 

Pattaya has been suffering in lockdown for years with no tourists in sight, and just when it's starting to recover, these upstanding members of the police force are trying to keep us safe by hassling tourists when they're out trying to have fun.

I have no idea how tourists that aren't carrying ID are making Walking Street unsafe.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

These Immigration police (and Pattaya police) are very honest, right? They couldn't possibly be looking for cash bonuses. 

Pattaya has been suffering in lockdown for years with no tourists in sight, and just when it's starting to recover, these upstanding members of the police force are trying to keep us safe by hassling tourists when they're out trying to have fun.

I have no idea how tourists that aren't carrying ID are making Walking Street unsafe.

Who carries their passport around when visiting Walking Street and other places? (My pockets are already full with wallet, phone, and glasses.) But no problem, perhaps I will limit my visits there. All the bars are full after all... (Sarcasm!), 

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Who carries their passport around when visiting Walking Street and other places? (My pockets are already full with wallet, phone, and glasses.) But no problem, perhaps I will limit my visits there. All the bars are full after all... (Sarcasm!), 

Of course, the police know this, and prey on people going out to drink and otherwise contribute to the local community. It's a wonderful opportunity for collecting "bonuses" as tourists, faced with the option of going to the police station and a trip back to their hotel to prove they are legal are quite likely to contribute to the police cash fund.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Who carries their passport around when visiting Walking Street and other places?

The report specifically says the tourists don't need to be carrying their actual passports.

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

(My pockets are already full with wallet, phone, and glasses.) But no problem, perhaps I will limit my visits there.

Might be best all round, given you can find only 3 pockets. But if you have a caregiver, perhaps he/she would have an extra pocket in which to bring along the passport you imagine you need.

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Of course, the police know this, and prey on people going out to drink and otherwise contribute to the local community.

What evidence is there that the police are preying upon any drinkers and so diminishing their benevolent contributions to the local community?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

What evidence is there that the police are preying upon any drinkers and so diminishing their benevolent contributions to the local community?

I'm not going to provide evidence. This is a discussion and you're quite welcome to disagree. I've lived here (Pattaya) for nearly 20 years - I know what goes on.

Paying cash bonuses to the police does not diminish the local economy - police spend their money too, so it all helps. That last sentence has nothing to do with my earlier points.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I'm not going to provide evidence.

Yup.

12 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I've lived here (Pattaya) for nearly 20 years - I know what goes on.

You know cause you know. Heh. We need to give you a lot more respect around here.

'Course, I've lived here longer than you have, and don't recall any instances of police extorting people for not carrying their passports. And here we have our man Adam right there on the scene as witness, reporting that the police said the tourists needn't be carrying their passports. Do you also know whether he's been, like, intimidated into silence or filing a false report?

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Yup.

You know cause you know. Heh. We need to give you a lot more respect around here.

'Course, I've lived here longer than you have, and don't recall any instances of police extorting people not carrying their passports. And here we have our man Adam right there on the scene as witness, reporting that the police said the tourists needn't be carrying their passports. Do you also know whether he's been intimidated into silence or filing a false report?

You do realise this is an informal place for discussion and there's no need to get worked up if you disagree and someone doesn't offer evidence. It's not a court of law.

If you've lived here longer than I have in Pattaya, and you don't know about police corruption and what goes on around here, you're either as blind as a bat, or you live a very sheltered life.

We do know that it is not necessary to carry your passport, as you've asserted twice now in 2 posts. The point is, most of the people in Walking Street are not locals and don't think about these things when they go out to party.

Edit: they are quite likely not carrying photographic evidence of their passport and entry stamps in their phones.

When is the last time you've seen an immigration police raid in a shopping mall? They are preying on drunk people - much easier targets.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

We do know that it is not necessary to carry your passport, as you've asserted twice now in 2 posts.

And so do the tourists, as police said they didn't.

The point is, most of the people in Walking Street are not locals and don't think about these things when they go out to party.

Nor did they need to, according to a reporter on the scene.

You do realise this is an informal place for discussion and there's no need to get worked up if you disagree and someone doesn't offer evidence. It's not a court of law.

I didn't disagree, and it's you who are worked up, resorting to casting personal aspersions already.???? I suppose that if you know 'cause you know, the impertinence of the question of how you know in this particular instance--contrary to credible evidence--must be upsetting. My sympathies.

Edited by BigStar

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

And so do the tourists, as police said they didn't.

Nor did they need to, according to a reporter on the scene.

I didn't disagree, and it's you who are worked up. I suppose that if you know 'cause you know, the impertinence of the question of how you know in this particular instance--contrary to the evidence--must be upsetting.

You've twisted everything I've said. Perhaps you missed my last edit as you were worked up and needed to fire back a replay asap.

We know no one needs to carry a physical passport. This has been discussed for decades on this forum as the topic often arises.

The point was that tourists don't know what's going on. They don't expect Immigration police raids and most probably don't have copies of their passports and entry stamps on their mobile phones. These are the hapless tourists that the immigration police are looking for.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

The point was that tourists don't know what's going on.

Nor did they need to, and then they were told what's going on.

Yet all tourist advisories for visiting Thailand mention something about the need to carry ID. Which is common sense anyway. Your point was this: police

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

prey on people going out to drink and otherwise contribute to the local community. It's a wonderful opportunity for collecting "bonuses" as tourists

But you see the relevance of this point assertion, given that Adam adduced no evidence of any tourist "preyed" upon, isn't really clear to those not in the know, blind as bats, leading sheltered lives, blah blah.

23 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

These are the hapless tourists that the immigration police are looking for.

Oh. And what did they do to these "hapless tourists?"

41 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

When is the last time you've seen an immigration police raid in a shopping mall? They are preying on drunk people - much easier targets.

False comparison for obvious reasons. And then an example of the Complex Question fallacy, as you haven't shown any "preying."

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

And I guess during the crazy days of Songkran none of them will be seen here and the bars can do what they want?! PLEASE show me that it will be not like this ???????????????????????? this time. But I have little hope ????

You hit the nail on the head... it;s a National holiday funding exercise, like we do pre-Christmas/ New Year!

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, BigStar said:

given that Adam adduced no evidence of any tourist "preyed" upon, isn't really clear to those not in the know, blind as bats, leading sheltered lives, blah blah.

The main point in your first post (aside from all your other blah, blah) was that you were asking for "evidence". This is a really dumb request. Did you expect a video recording of police extortion? Perpahs a written receipt of the money paid "under the table"?

It will always be my word against yours even if I recount events that happened to me and friends in Pattaya.

I can give many examples from my own experience and this forum has many stories about police extortion too. More recently a couple of British expats were asked to pay 8000 baht each as they weren't wearing face masks (when it was mandatory). It was Friday night, and they were threatened with a weekend lockup if they didn't pay. Of course, most would pay.

Of course, once again, you will ask for the evidence.

If you think these immigration police on the "hunt" in Walking Street are honest and trying to keep you safe, you're living in a fantasy world.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

It will always be my word against yours even if I recount events that happened to me and friends in Pattaya.

Please recount the event when you, or anyone, were "preyed upon" by Immigration police demanding to see your passport and suggesting a bribe for not producing it on the spot so that you wouldn't be detained merely for not carrying it on your person.

That was your assertion as to what the police were doing the other night.

But you don't know of any such event. A credible witness reported no such extortion or even that tourists needed to carry their passports at all. So deflecting to your blah blah doesn't mean that your claim has any merit whatsoever. Actually, it was merely an attempt to spread FUD and pretend superior knowledge, contradicted by the report.

Now, spreading FUD on the forum isn't against the rules here in general, but can be in the specific. But neither is calling out the spreading of FUD and laughing at it, as I've enjoyed doing. 

And we're not disagreeing. We both agree you have no evidence whatsoever to support your specific accusation and were therefore just blowing. Good 'nuff. Suggest we move on unless you need to bicker more and need help getting out of the loop.

Edited by BigStar

18 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

(My pockets are already full with wallet, phone, and glasses.) But no problem, perhaps I will limit my visits there. All the bars are full after all... (Sarcasm!), 

A man bag is the answer 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Excellent. You can have photos of your passport and with the visa there on your phone. To be on the safe side you even could have small copies in the wallet. No need to limit your bar visits????????.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Excellent. You can have photos of your passport and with the visa there on your phone. To be on the safe side you even could have small copies in the wallet. No need to limit your bar visits????????.

What happens if my phone runs out of battery? And carrying wads of paper in my pockets, that, perhaps, get wet, isn't so great either. (Not to mention, where, in 2023, can I find a copy shop in Pattaya?)

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

What happens if my phone runs out of battery? And carrying wads of paper in my pockets, that, perhaps, get wet, isn't so great either. (Not to mention, where, in 2023, can I find a copy shop in Pattaya?)

There are many. I don't know your location but I always use the one on the 5th floor in the Central Mall. 3 Baht per copy. If you want to print something then 10 Baht. It is at the exit to the park house. 

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Haven't been in Pattaya for a while. Is this Central Pattaya, CentralFestival Pattaya, or is this actually the same mall?

Central Festival and Central is the same mall. In Google maps you will see both names. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

This is a good point. I'm not a drinker myself, but many of my Australian buddies coming here on vacation get wasted when they go out. They don't carry anything so they don't risk losing it. These are the hapless individuals the Immigration police prey on... like taking candy from a baby.

Is it a bad thing to get wasted in Pattaya? Well, that's the type of tourists a place like Pattaya (and Bali) attracts. It is a party town. They don't come here to visit temples.

21 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

What happens if my phone runs out of battery?

Plug it into your power bank. I dunno where you're getting your cargo shorts with only 3 pockets, but go buy a pair with at least 4 pockets.

And carrying wads of paper in my pockets, that, perhaps, get wet, isn't so great either.

Let's see if we can figure this out. Tough one.

First, stop carrying around your own personal supply of toilet paper. Take Imodium before a night out.

Then, a copy of the front page of your passport, with your permission of stay stamp printed on the back, can be folded to a small rectangle and then placed into a small medicine ziplock bag you can acquire from any pharmacy. Waterpoof. And this will easily fit into one of your 3 pockets with your phone, wallet, or keys, even in your wallet. Could be taped on the back of your dead phone.

If still worried about loss, it will probably fit in your *ss crack. Where there's a will there's a way.

(Not to mention, where, in 2023, can I find a copy shop in Pattaya?)

That's been addressed, but any of the Kodak or Fuji photo shops will print it for you. Busy copy shop to the left of Immigration, you can make a few copies there after you get your next extension.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1