Clarence Thomas and the Billionaire

onthedarkside

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

That fireplace makes them look like the cast of "The Borrowers"!

Yeah, I was taken back by the size of the fireplace. In Texas no less, where he probably has to crank the air after he lights the fireplace?

But I was reminded of the fireplace in Charles Foster Kane's Xanadu.

2b716ep.jpg

UPDATE: Billionaire Harlan Crow Bought Property From Clarence Thomas. The Justice Didn’t Disclose the Deal.

image.png.797d715d470d92c18869180ca08d6c72.png

The transaction marks the first known instance of money flowing from the Republican megadonor to the Supreme Court justice. The Crow company bought the properties for $133,363 from three co-owners — Thomas, his mother and the family of Thomas’ late brother, according to a state tax document and a deed dated Oct. 15, 2014, filed at the Chatham County courthouse.

A federal disclosure law passed after Watergate requires justices and other officials to disclose the details of most real estate sales over $1,000. Thomas never disclosed his sale of the Savannah properties. That appears to be a violation of the law, four ethics law experts told ProPublica.

https://www.propublica.org/article/clarence-thomas-harlan-crow-real-estate-scotus

image.png.ac7e251e1f3818fe8189fa38769ba613.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, onthedarkside said:

UPDATE: Billionaire Harlan Crow Bought Property From Clarence Thomas. The Justice Didn’t Disclose the Deal.

image.png.797d715d470d92c18869180ca08d6c72.png

The transaction marks the first known instance of money flowing from the Republican megadonor to the Supreme Court justice. The Crow company bought the properties for $133,363 from three co-owners — Thomas, his mother and the family of Thomas’ late brother, according to a state tax document and a deed dated Oct. 15, 2014, filed at the Chatham County courthouse.

A federal disclosure law passed after Watergate requires justices and other officials to disclose the details of most real estate sales over $1,000. Thomas never disclosed his sale of the Savannah properties. That appears to be a violation of the law, four ethics law experts told ProPublica.

https://www.propublica.org/article/clarence-thomas-harlan-crow-real-estate-scotus

image.png.ac7e251e1f3818fe8189fa38769ba613.png

Also, Thomas' mother was still living there after the purchase. Crow made lots of improvements to the property. Was he being paid rent?

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Also, Thomas mother was still living there after the purchase. Crow made lots of improvements to the property. Was he being paid rent?

On the back of that.................

Clarence Thomas’ Mom Definitely Still Lives in the House the Billionaire Bought

The reporters noted that they were certain Thomas’ mother lived in this house through 2020, per public records and social media, and that her neighbors said she still lives there.

But Slate can confirm that she resides in the house to this day. Two weeks ago, Joel Anderson interviewed her there for the upcoming season of Slow Burn.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/04/clarence-thomas-mom-billionaire-house.html

• Thanks 1

And there's this:

"Crow did not respond to questions about whether he has charged her rent."

I'm guessing we can take that as a "no".

I wonder what similar properties in that neighborhood rent for. I bet it comes to a lot more than the $15000 Thomas received from Crow for the sale of the property.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Also, Thomas mother was still living there after the purchase. Crow made lots of improvements to the property. Was he being paid rent?

Amazing silence from the house and senate and other federal judges nationwide....how sad that in their silence they tacitly send the message that Thomas atrocious lack of any moral awareness is ok with them.

Any first year law student would know that acceptable norms for all judges is to avoid even the suggestion/appearance  of conflict of interest.  This behavior over a 20 ++ year span is beyond belief and needs to be stopped with a resignation or impeachment now.

Edited by pomchop
  • Like 2

This was the day before these latest revelations......

CLC Seeks Referral of Justice Thomas to DOJ for Violations

Washington, D.C. – This week, Campaign Legal Center (CLC) submitted a letter to the committee of federal judges with authority to refer Justice Clarence Thomas to the U.S. Attorney General for potential criminal and civil penalties related to violating the Ethics in Government Act. 

https://campaignlegal.org/press-releases/clc-seeks-referral-justice-thomas-doj-violations

• Like 2

Nixon was able to force Abe Fortas to resign for far less...

Abe Fortas resigns from Supreme Court, May 15, 1969

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/14/abe-fortas-resigns-from-supreme-court-may-15-1969-238228

And the "billionaire", Mr. Crow, seems to have a penchant for Nazi  collectibles, including a copy of Mein Kampf signed by Hitler. I did not see that one coming.

Clarence Thomas’s Billionaire Benefactor Collects Hitler Artifacts

https://www.washingtonian.com/2023/04/07/clarence-thomass-billionaire-benefactor-collects-hitler-artifacts/

39 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Nixon was able to force Abe Fortas to resign for far less...

Abe Fortas resigns from Supreme Court, May 15, 1969

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/14/abe-fortas-resigns-from-supreme-court-may-15-1969-238228

And the "billionaire", Mr. Crow, seems to have a penchant for Nazi  collectibles, including a copy of Mein Kampf signed by Hitler. I did not see that one coming.

Clarence Thomas’s Billionaire Benefactor Collects Hitler Artifacts

https://www.washingtonian.com/2023/04/07/clarence-thomass-billionaire-benefactor-collects-hitler-artifacts/

And so what.   A rich guy has a collection of historical artifacts. He has a collection of thousands of books and manuscripts, one of which is Nazi. Again, so what?  This does not signify approval or allegiance. He's a collector. 

I guess this means that Civil War battle re-enactors who take the part of Confederate troops are also racist bigots. Or anyone whose collection happens to have a picture of Mao or Castro is a communist. 

This is a very low smear.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I think you're being a little unfair.

How can a justice of the Supreme Court be reasonably expected to comply with the law?

truly sad isn't it...i remember watching his confirmation hearings long ago and I had no doubt that he should never ever have been confirmed....now we have clarence and a couple recently confirmed that flat out lied re their position on roe v wade to get confirmed...it's all on tape.  Lifetime appointments obviously enbolden them to thumb their nose at the entire judiciary system and the American public...must feel not so great to be a low level guy sitting in prison for taking bribes and get to see the top judges do worse with zero problems.

• Like 2

My sense is that ProPublica has much, much, much more information, and that it will be a drip - drip - drip until CJ Roberts chimes in, or Thomas is forced to resign. In the mean time Thomas should recuse himself from any/all/every case until his criminality has been fuuly adjudicated.

In related news, Harlan Crow's brother, Trammell Crow Jr. has his own "legal" problems.

Trammell Crow Jr. Named in Human Trafficking Case

In federal court documents filed in California, Dallas real estate heir and investor Trammell Crow Jr. is accused by two women of financially supporting and participating in an alleged human-trafficking ring that victimized them over the course of 12 years.

It is important to recognize that, while accusations can be made, nothing is proven until the legal process has concluded. Wealthy individuals and celebrities are often targeted by lawsuits to garner publicity. Whether Crow was involved or not has yet to be established.

https://dallasexpress.com/national/trammell-crow-jr-named-in-human-trafficking-case/#:~:text=Named in Human Trafficking Case,-National&text=In federal court documents filed,the course of 12 years.

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

And so what.   A rich guy has a collection of historical artifacts. He has a collection of thousands of books and manuscripts, one of which is Nazi. Again, so what?  This does not signify approval or allegiance. He's a collector. 

I guess this means that Civil War battle re-enactors who take the part of Confederate troops are also racist bigots. Or anyone whose collection happens to have a picture of Mao or Castro is a communist. 

This is a very low smear.

You seem to have misunderstood the point being made.

That point was contained in the first link, and was that Justice Fortas was forced to resign by revelations that he had taken "a secret retainer from the family foundation of [a] Wall Street financier. "

The part about Crow having a collection of Nazi memorabilia was a separate aside, not directly related to the main point raised in the post.

• Like 2

Just now, GroveHillWanderer said:

You seem to have misunderstood the point being made.

That point was contained in the first link, and was that Justice Fortas was forced to resign by revelations that he had taken "a secret retainer from the family foundation of [a] Wall Street financier. "

The part about Crow having a collection of Nazi memorabilia was a separate aside, not directly related to the main point raised in the post.

Fair enough, the legalities and ethics rules seem a bit convoluted and I dont want to risk looking even more foolish than usual by commenting on them. But the snide jabs inferring that Crow is some kind of secret Nazi because he is interested in history are irritating. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Fair enough, the legalities and ethics rules seem a bit convoluted and I dont want to risk looking even more foolish than usual by commenting on them. But the snide jabs inferring that Crow is some kind of secret Nazi because he is interested in history are irritating. 

Nothing convoluted about Thomas not disclosing the $15,000 he received for selling the property. He apparently violated the law. 

And there's still the question of whether his mother had to pay rent which would be especially interesting if it turned out Thomas was helping to support her before the sale.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Nothing convoluted about Thomas not disclosing the $15,000 he received for selling the property. He apparently violated the law. 

And there's still the question of whether his mother had to pay rent which would be especially interesting if it turned out Thomas was helping to support her before the sale.

If the allegations are true and he has violated ethics laws I have no problem with him being forced off the Bench. Let the process take place and the consequences that follow.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

But the snide jabs inferring that Crow is some kind of secret Nazi

It wasn't a "snide jab", it was a statement of fact. And I did not say or "infer" Crow was a secret Nazi.

Your defense of Crow the collector is admirable, and no, that doesn't infer that you are a secret Nazi.

I also don't believe he's a secret nazi but,  if I was a billionaire like him I doubt very much that I would have a collection of paintings by Adolf Hitler, a signed copy of Mein Kampf, and a set of swastika-emblazoned napkins.