Visa expiring end of month returning 2 weeks left on visa

I am going out of the country with a retirement Visa that will expire the end of the month. Do I need to get a reentry permit with two weeks left on the Visa after returning. If I do not get the re-entry permit  what happens

the free entry permit what happens when I return.

If you have a Single 90 Day “Retirement Visa” or are on extension of a visa then entering without a re-entry permit will mean you will get a 30 day visa exempt which could be converted to a new 90 Day Single Entry Visa but is a lot more work than just extending your current permission to stay. 

Unless you are exiting on a Non-IMM OA visa with a view to moving to a Non-IMM O visa (to avoid Health Insurance Requirement) then I would recommend doing your extension before you leave & getting a re-entry permit to protect this (reason being you can do both in 1 trip to Immigration).

If you can’t do this then get the re-entry permit before you go (either at Immigration Office or Airport) & then do your extension as soon as you get back. 

From what you wrote I presume that you currently have either a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement or a 1-year extension of such Visa. 

And you wrote that the Permit to stay of your Visa or extension, expires end of this month. 

When you do not buy a Re-Entry Permit before exiting Thailand, your Visa or extension will be voided the moment you have left.  That's where a Re-Entry Permit comes in, because such Re-Entry Permit will protect your Visa or extension, so that when re-entering Thailand the Permit to stay is still valid.  Note that this implies you need to return to Thailand before it expires.

So unless that  for some reason you would want to 'kill' your present Visa/extension status, it is recommended to buy a Re-Entry Permit, as that would allow you on return to apply for the 1-year extension of your current Visa or extension.  Without such Re-Entry Permit your current Visa or extension would be 'dead' and it would force you to restart from scratch the whole process leading to 1-year extensions for long-term stay in Thailand..

25 minutes ago, steveb5 said:

I am on a  one year type o retirement Visa that's been extended for many years. Thanks for all the information and I see have to get a   re entry permit.

Extended for "many years".........and still he has to ask

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, steveb5 said:

I am on a  one year type o retirement Visa that's been extended for many years. Thanks for all the information and I see have to get a   re entry permit.

You have annual extensions from a non O based on retirement.

You do not have a valid visa.

You state "many years" ...

Surely you would be aware that to exit Thailand with a permission of stay (it's not a visa) you would need a reentry permit to protect that permission of stay and enable you to reenter. 

You can obtain reentry permit at immigration office or airport.

TM8 form with photo and basic pp pages photocopies.

1000baht for single reentry permit. 

I assume it is your intention to apply for a new 12 month extension after you return.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

Rather obvious that the "many years" hasn't added up to a fair amount of awareness of the rules.

And, given he's on annual extensions based on retirement, the usual stamp (at least as granted in Chiangmai) reads in part: "TO KEEP YOUR STAY PERMIT RE-ENTRY PERMIT MUST BE MADE BEFORE LEAVING THAILAND."

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 6:54 PM, steveb5 said:

If you exit Thailand without a reentry permit you permission to stay is cancelled as soon as you leave, not the date on it.

On 4/8/2023 at 4:16 PM, Red Phoenix said:

or a 1-year extension of such Visa. 

You’re perpetuating the confusion. Visas Are not extended. Permission to stay in Thailand may be extended. The visa will expire even if permission to stay is repeatedly extended, but without a reentry permit, the extension will end if you leave the country.

Edited by Suradit69