Looking for a teaching job?

Warning! There is a scammer agency heavily advertising about ‘Jobs all over Thailand’, name is Road sth.

A woman promises jobs, not even checking your suitability. She talks about a seminar one ‘should’ visit. Later you receive an email, incl. a PayPal invoice over almost 10,000 baht (as half payment for the seminar), even though you never agreed to participate.

Cancelling via email and other media, there is no reply, and that woman, conveniently doesn’t answer your phone calls anymore.

After a few days there’s an invoice reminder in your mailbox.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, this made me think; do job applicants give possible scammers too many personal details (full name, d.o.b., credentials, perhaps your address...) - Should one initially only send a cover letter, answering job ads, perhaps not even giving your real name? How to know that job advertisers are genuine, and not out to scam people. (Yes, in the West there are established job agencies, but this is Thailand...)

If you're somebody who is currently in Thailand , is looking for a English teaching job, is willing to pay upfront for this opportunity, you should probably be looking to heading home. And this comes from somebody who lives here from age of 23.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

If you're somebody who is currently in Thailand , is looking for a English teaching job, is willing to pay upfront for this opportunity, you should probably be looking to heading home. And this comes from somebody who lives here from age of 23.

reminds me of the tourists that come here to volunteer and pay to do so...not to mention its working illegally....

• Like 2

Yes agencies are scum.  They send you threatening emails.  Make appointments then don't show up.  Change the contract without you knowing.  After working with you for a year then threaten to report you if you are illegal.

They get 4 million from the government and then pay you 35,000 for 50 hour weeks.

Edited by markclover
  • Like 2

Update: Only a few hours later, I received an email from "Booking.com", promising me almost 250 U.S. dollars as a 'reward just for you'. - Everything, logo, font, etc., looked like a genuine email from Booking.com. All I had to do to claim, was 'click on the link and fill in your full address'...

I never received such a fake Booking.com email before, so the coincidence is very strange! If so, then behind this "agency" (Road ... a.k.a. Teach .. .... - my research tells me they're based in Hat Yai) must be very sophisticated scammers, praying on job seekers. - How did I know the Booking.com email was fake? I clicked on 'Reply', and the email didn't add up...

On 4/9/2023 at 11:12 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

reminds me of the tourists that come here to volunteer and pay to do so...not to mention its working illegally....

often they’re working alongside teachers who are actually being paid to work. 

So the agency is being paid by the the “volunteer” AND the school, keeping their entire salary!

1 hour ago, Everyman said:

So the agency is being paid by the the “volunteer” AND the school, keeping their entire salary!

not teaching jobs......gigs listed on sites such as workaway

1 hour ago, Everyman said: