From allies to election enemies: Pheu Thai and Move Forward go to war

webfact

3 hours ago, greeneking said:

I think they offered no support for Thaksin before.  They wanted the real change you seem to want too.  But real life, coalitions (with who would be best?), and media pushing them to take positions they would rather not take yet lead you to a black/white opinion.

They remain the decent alternative to Thaksin and Prayuth.  With enough of our support.

.....and they might have it this time around. 

They have maintained an increasing solidarity with the working and middle classes, especially since the time when their original party identity [Future Forward] was banned and Thanathorn was charged/accused with the usual bogus justification. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know there are different theories why the coups happened.

Living in Bangkok, I can tell you I was not surprised about the last two coups.

Thaksin, and later his little sister and the violent red-shirts, made more and more problems. And the police, as usual, did nothing. People, at least in Bangkok, were really fed-up with the situation.

I think it's important to notice that when Yingluck was elected, people accepted that. Give her a chance and let her show her priorities. At the beginning that was ok, and then her brother got a diplomatic passport. And then, sometimes later, MP votes at 3am or about that time to whitewash Thaksin. That was the beginning of the end. Everybody knew it.

So in case another Shinawatra comes to power again, let's look what Thaksin's nominee will do. How long will it take before they try to bring him back without going to jail. And if that happens, or better, when that happens, then IMHO the consequences are almost certain.

I know your opinion about Thaksin and remember the rioting in Bangkok, but the yellow shirts did something at the airport though I cannot remember what, and I think you may be right about what could happen if Thaksin comes back to power in some way.

I thing the pandemic stopped the protests against the unelected caretaker PM and his soldiers, and soon there could be protests and riots again against Thaksin or the soldiers, depending who is in charge.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I prefer soldiers who try to unite the country to Thaksin who divided the country like no other and now he wants revenge. 

The soldiers "unite" by forcing the population who disagree with them into a coercive "union" of fear.

A union in which those who disagree with them will suffer retribution.

Don't you think that Thaksin would have enforced exactly that sort of union if he was able to exercise power over the soldiers?

By your reasoning you would have been pleased with that........you would have got your "union".

Why not just come clean and concede that you are an advocate of military dictatorship?

Don't be shy, Thailand has plenty of the home-raised variety, who will happily embrace you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Enoon said:

The soldiers "unite" by forcing the population who disagree with them into a coercive "union" of fear.

A union in which those who disagree with them will suffer retribution.

Don't you think that Thaksin would have enforced exactly that sort of union if he was able to exercise power over the soldiers?

By your reasoning you would have been pleased with that........you would have got your "union".

Why not just come clean and concede that you are an advocate of military dictatorship?

Don't be shy, Thailand has plenty of the home-raised variety, who will happily embrace you!

Why don't you just read what I wrote and try to understand it.

It is not necessary that you blow it up to whatever fantasy you have.

Thaksin never tried to unite Thailand. He always deliberately divided it. That is his mo, same as the orange guy in America. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why don't you just read what I wrote and try to understand it.

It is not necessary that you blow it up to whatever fantasy you have.

Thaksin never tried to unite Thailand. He always deliberately divided it. That is his mo, same as the orange guy in America. 

How inane.

Thailand was never more united than during the latter years of Thaksin’s term as PM. Thaksin won re-election in an absolute landslide, he was idolised by over two thirds of the country…. and that “off the charts” popularity terrified the old elites. Such was the adoration of Thaksin, that now, nearly twenty years later, Thais are still yearning for his return - Thaksin’s Housemaid would win an election if Thaksin put her forward. 
As for division???

Prayuth and Prawit can’t even get along with each other.

Anyway it’s all moot.

Next month, Thaksin’s daughter is PM and Thailand is back on the path towards freedom and prosperity.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

How inane.

Thailand was never more united than during the latter years of Thaksin’s term as PM. Thaksin won re-election in an absolute landslide, he was idolised by over two thirds of the country…. and that “off the charts” popularity terrified the old elites. Such was the adoration of Thaksin, that now, nearly twenty years later, Thais are still yearning for his return - Thaksin’s Housemaid would win an election if Thaksin put her forward. 
As for division???

Prayuth and Prawit can’t even get along with each other.

Anyway it’s all moot.

Next month, Thaksin’s daughter is PM and Thailand is back on the path towards freedom and prosperity.

Thailand was never united under Thaksin. A poor public speaker, he turned down pre- election debates as he knew Abhisit would destroy him. What he had/ has is populist policies. That's why the working class voted for him, he himself lacks charisma.

All he understood was dominance, a good leader will be decisive but will also listen to all sides and will apologize when making an error. 

Thaksin never apologized for anything, the Tak Bai massacre, for example, he said the young men died because they were weak from fasting. 

His arrogance and frequent put downs of others made him many enemies. That's why I'll be surprised if he does come back. 

Maybe his daughter will be PM one day but not this time.

Settha has made it clear he only joined PT if he gets the PM gig. He's not interested in any other Cabinet position. 

• Thumbs Up 1

One is a successful but corrupt oligarch that worked his way up from the bottom. The other a ultra left, from a rich family and backed by foreign NGOs.
No surprise that they don't really like each other.

56 minutes ago, bannork said:

Thailand was never united under Thaksin. A poor public speaker, he turned down pre- election debates as he knew Abhisit would destroy him. What he had/ has is populist policies. That's why the working class voted for him, he himself lacks charisma.

All he understood was dominance, a good leader will be decisive but will also listen to all sides and will apologize when making an error. 

Thaksin never apologized for anything, the Tak Bai massacre, for example, he said the young men died because they were weak from fasting. 

His arrogance and frequent put downs of others made him many enemies. That's why I'll be surprised if he does come back. 

Maybe his daughter will be PM one day but not this time.

Settha has made it clear he only joined PT if he gets the PM gig. He's not interested in any other Cabinet position. 

Looks like it was pretty united to me.

6241D1E6-CAF6-4503-911F-B07146315C24.jpeg

• Like 2