Fact check: Are 15-minute cities a plan to create lockdowns?

onthedarkside

image.png.7b513b13d2357cc0b4d2ecda7d088ea2.png

For many, it may sound like a good idea: reducing everyday journeys to a quarter of an hour on foot, by bike or by public transport, with the goal of helping citizens to better meet basic needs. 

This is what the 15-minute city concept sets out to achieve. 

"We need to make cities for walking, for having more medical services, educational activities, for the needs of our daily tasks, to make cities livable," says Carlos Moreno, a professor at Paris's Sorbonne University who has been credited with developing the concept. 

READ MORE

https://www.dw.com/en/fact-check-are-15-minute-cities-creating-new-lockdowns-and-movement-restrictions/a-65226117

image.png.9f5f353fd612ff65776710b66e71a911.png

It's the thin end of the wedge. The start of a long process (many decades).

Of course it will be dressed up as 'helping' citizens and making life convenient but the long term aim is to reduce the movement of people as much as possible. Let the proles go to work, let them buy their food and clothing, then get them back into their homes to watch politically charged content from state broadcasters such as the BBC that you are forced to pay for under the threat of prosecution (telling them what a great job they are doing saving the planet, documentaries featuring one armed trans women etc.) and then prepare for their next workday, ideally working from home.

I would expect the next step to be some kind of pollution/green charge for travelling x amount of miles away from your place of residence without a valid reason. In the name of saving the planet, of course. Or possibly a social credit system where points are deducted for such 'inconsiderate' behaviour. Kind of like the congestion charge in London except you are charged for leaving an area as opposed to entering an area. Maybe they could call it a non-crime pollution incident and hold it on your record for future employees to see, ala the non-crime hate incidents currently being recorded for holding the wrong opinions?

They could label it the brave new [insert the city here], or something like that. Brave New Newcastle, Brave New Swindon etc. 

The best thing is, it's all for YOUR benefit. So be grateful. After all, your taxes are paying for it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

45 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's the thin end of the wedge. The start of a long process (many decades).

Of course it will be dressed up as 'helping' citizens and making life convenient but the long term aim is to reduce the movement of people as much as possible. Let the proles go to work, let them buy their food and clothing, then get them back into their homes to watch politically charged content from state broadcasters such as the BBC that you are forced to pay for under the threat of prosecution (telling them what a great job they are doing saving the planet, documentaries featuring one armed trans women etc.) and then prepare for their next workday, ideally working from home.

I would expect the next step to be some kind of pollution/green charge for travelling x amount of miles away from your place of residence without a valid reason. In the name of saving the planet, of course. Or possibly a social credit system where points are deducted for such 'inconsiderate' behaviour. Kind of like the congestion charge in London except you are charged for leaving an area as opposed to entering an area. Maybe they could call it a non-crime pollution incident and hold it on your record for future employees to see, ala the non-crime hate incidents currently being recorded for holding the wrong opinions?

They could label it the brave new [insert the city here], or something like that. Brave New Newcastle, Brave New Swindon etc. 

The best thing is, it's all for YOUR benefit. So be grateful. After all, your taxes are paying for it.

Thanks for sharing with us your vision of the future. I imagine its appeal for you lies in the fact that it can't be currently disproved so it gives you license to say whatever you please. You completely fail to address the issue that there has been a campaign of falsehoods waged by the right about what the 15 minute city concept is. Instead, like you, they resort to conspiracy theories.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

You're welcome.

Predictions are notoriously difficult to prove or disprove. It's inherent in their nature. But thanks for confirming that, Captain Obvious.

I'm sure the concept of a non crime hate incident would have been dismissed as a conspiracy theory years ago. Police with billboards stating "being offensive is an offense" would have been dismissed out of hand as a figment of the "far right's" imagination of a fake culture war. Yet here we are. 

It would appear that your attempts to label everyone you disagree with as a conspiracy theorist are not going too well. But feel free to continue, it's most amusing. Ironic even, given your adherence to the teachings of the climate change doomsday cult. 

Predictions used as some kind of evidence are useless. As for your likening your prediction to other unlikely outcomes, that is of course entirely invalid. This is exactly the same as saying because you know what the results were of this weeks lottery, your prediction what the results of next week's lottery would be are somehow more likely to occur.

As for this: "It would appear that your attempts to label everyone you disagree with as a conspiracy theorist are not going too well."

This is truly a bizarre piece of irony. In your previous post you claim this about the fifteen minute city idea:

"It's the thin end of the wedge. The start of a long process (many decades)."

"Of course it will be dressed up as 'helping' citizens and making life convenient but the long term aim is to reduce the movement of people as much as possible. Let the proles go to work, let them buy their food and clothing, then get them back into their homes to watch politically charged content from state broadcasters such as the BBC that you are forced to pay for under the threat of prosecution (telling them what a great job they are doing saving the planet, documentaries featuring one armed trans women etc.) and then prepare for their next workday, ideally working from home."

What is this, if not a conspiracy theory? Your lack of awareness of this is truly bizarre.

And once again you accuse me of being a member of a doomsday cult. And once again i'm asking you what is the doomsday cult you allege that I'm in? And what are the tenets that make it a doomsday cult?

And once again, I suspect you'll have no answer. Which is not surprising. Because you've got nothing.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

On the subject of "15 minute citY",, (thoughts from another thread), I just realized how small 'town' is here, and the part that has all that would be needed;  good hospital, PoPo, all govt office (not Imm), surfside, bars, restaurants, about five 7-11s, two CJ Markets, and another chain (?), along with huge wet/fresh market, selling everything.

Weekend night market, filling in anything else needed.  Really wouldn't need to go to Makro (borders the red area), unless wanting western fare.

We live just out of town, which is all of about a half square kilometer rectangle (0.5 X 1 km) 😲

Nothing really needing west of the RR line to hwy #4, or north or south of 'town'.

With the the SRT station, in town, you have access to most of TH.

15 minute city.png

Edited by KhunLA

On 4/11/2023 at 10:32 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

15 minute cities are what existed before the advent of public transport and motorized vehicles.

Yea when they had 15 people. 

15 minute VOLUNTARY cities might be an interesting experiment for a few. Problem is, nobody who lived through 2020 is foolish enough to believe these are going to be voluntary. Especially not after watching the kind of nonsense they tried in the UK.  If you want to live locked into a 15 minute city, be my guest. I have no desire to, and I won't. I will fight vociferously if they try another unnecessary lock down. I really will be ungovernable next time (consequences be damned) as I'm sure will most others who are awake and aware of the plans by the elite to control us. They've woken up us deplorables, and we won't go back to sleep.

• Confused 2