DIY 28kw/h Storage : EVE LF280k x 32 LiFePO4 Batteries

38 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Does the hole in the BMS connector fit over the "shoulder" on the battery terminal?

Otherwise, I'd modify one of the inter-cell strips with exact size holes and fasteners.

If I understand what you ask correctly, the terminal is on top of the shoulder but only a small part of it. Could you explain : "modify one of the inter-cell strips with exact size holes and fasteners."

Pink

31 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

If I understand what you ask correctly, the terminal is on top of the shoulder but only a small part of it. Could you explain : "modify one of the inter-cell strips with exact size holes and fasteners."

Could you drill out the BMS connector so it fits over the shoulder (washer on top) for a larger contact area?

OR

Make something like this from an inter-cell strip?

image.png.604053769af614e0e453bc6d9e1196be.png

10 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Cost of batteries please ?

I have a very similar setup, 2 sets of 16, 280AHr batteries with BMS and active balancer.

I paid 60k for the batteries delivered "Thailand Special Line" from China so no duty payable, another 20k for my friend to build them in boxes and for BMS/Active Balancer.  For a few extra baht I wanted Active Balancing as it works at all SoC, whereas the BMS only passive balances at the end of the charge cycle and I only charge my batteries to 85% and only discharge them in a power cut. 

My friend labeled the batteries "Orbit" and when I asked him why Orbit, he said "Only Reliable Battery In Thailand". This is one of the batteries.  Don't forget, always have them at the same exact voltage before connecting them in parallel.

Temp.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Does the hole in the BMS connector fit over the "shoulder" on the battery terminal?

Otherwise, I'd modify one of the inter-cell strips with exact size holes and fasteners.

Its still a bit early for me so i had to re read this to get the BMS connector part. Bms connector size is near perfect on the battery terminal. As long as you mean the terminal for the thin bms wire?

Pink

Edited by Pink7

10 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Its still a bit early for me so i had to re read this to get the BMS connector part. Bms connector size is near perfect on the battery terminal. As long as you mean the terminal for the thin bms wire?

Pink

I mean this: -

image.png.e8a29f448769cd7807b05157c8dafbfc.png

Which is what I'm assuming you want to fix.

Maybe I'm not understanding.

26 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Could you drill out the BMS connector so it fits over the shoulder (washer on top) for a larger contact area?

OR

I have been thinking of this too.... Just drill a new smaller hole. Its enough pace for it.

Pink

33 minutes ago, Crossy said:

OR

If I cut some pieces of the extra bars who i got with the batteries with a exact drilled hole and place between the pole and connector as a washer will that be a ok solution? Any disadvantages?

Pink

1 hour ago, Pink7 said:

If I cut some pieces of the extra bars who i got with the batteries with a exact drilled hole and place between the pole and connector as a washer will that be a ok solution? Any disadvantages?

You really want the bolt/stud to fill the hole in the ring-crimp, hence making an adaptor with two holes.

What you want to do is not ideal but would work, but do ensure the surfaces are scrupulously clean and oxide-free before assembly and use an electrical joint compound.

What sort of battery currents are you expecting??

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You really want the bolt/stud to fill the hole in the ring-crimp, hence making an adaptor with two holes.

What you want to do is not ideal but would work, but do ensure the surfaces are scrupulously clean and oxide-free before assembly and use an electrical joint compound.

What sort of battery currents are you expecting??

I have buy the electrical joint compound already. After apply will it be hard? Im planing for max of 60-80 Amp on each battery.

Pink

You only need a smear of the joint stuff on the mating faces but it does set after a while, still easy to take apart.

I really don't like having a stud that's way smaller than the hole, it's not good practice and can lead to over-heating.

Why not obtain and fit ring crimps of the correct dimensions??

But, as with all these things, Up2U. 

I'm curious . I will be using a grid tie inverter when heading back to Thailand next year. 5kwSolax from aus. The spec says can work with as low as 180ac voltage. I measured the voltage and it can drop to near 200vac in udon thani. Am I  safe to think all will be well, yeah? 200v AC supply won't bother the grid tie I hope.

Since a few people changing to hybrid inverters grid tied in oz  can be got real cheap. Only problem it will take 15kg of my checked luggage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You only need a smear of the joint stuff on the mating faces but it does set after a while, still easy to take apart.

I really don't like having a stud that's way smaller than the hole, it's not good practice and can lead to over-heating.

Why not obtain and fit ring crimps of the correct dimensions??

But, as with all these things, Up2U. 

I was not able to find a good quality battery connectors for large diameter cable with 6mm hole. Im my limited experience the hole sizes goes up with the dimension for the cable. Even me dont like so much gap between the stud and the hole. I could drill another hole but then its way less material left and the nut need it its space too. I will give it some more thinking.

Pink

5 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

I was not able to find a good quality battery connectors for large diameter cable with 6mm hole. Im my limited experience the hole sizes goes up with the dimension for the cable. Even me dont like so much gap between the stud and the hole. I could drill another hole but then its way less material left and the nut need it its space too. I will give it some more thinking.

What size cable do you have and what size is the battery stud??

EDIT

35mm2 cable, 6mm hole, from Lazada.

image.png.8f77a3a6a914dc5dc107ea574a3d4798.png

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Battery cable 35mm2 - battery stud 6mm i think

Regarding" You only need a smear of the joint stuff on the mating faces but it does set after a while, still easy to take apart." Fill any gaps or only use on surfaces?

Pink

2 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Battery cable 35mm2 - battery stud 6mm i think

Regarding" You only need a smear of the joint stuff on the mating faces but it does set after a while, still easy to take apart." Fill any gaps or only use on surfaces?

Crimps https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=SC35-6&location=Local

Compound just on the mating faces, there shouldn't be any gaps ???? 

I know the risk is low, but do you guys know how to extinguish a battery fire? Have  you spoken to your insurer? And more importantly is your installation located in a shed separate for you main habitation?

OP would you kind enough to tell us how much you pay for 28KWh worth of LiFe batteries, maybe a link would useful too.

11 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

I know the risk is low, but do you guys know how to extinguish a battery fire? Have  you spoken to your insurer? And more importantly is your installation located in a shed separate for you main habitation?

OP would you kind enough to tell us how much you pay for 28KWh worth of LiFe batteries, maybe a link would useful too.

LiFePO4 are very low risk and don't suffer from thermal-runaway (unlike Li-ion), so most fires involving them are electrical in nature. Good practices should prevent most if not all of these. The electrolyte does boil off, but it's non-flammable you just get clouds of white "smoke" (you don't want to breathe it mind).

Our packs are in a battery shed, steel and Shera-board construction, decidedly fire proof and away from the house.

About 5k US plus DDP shipping will net you two of these 

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/14KW-48V-51-2V-280AH-Pre_1600894719244.html

The same seller has cells if you want to DIY.

Shenzhen Luyuan are a well-known and respected supplier, no rubbish! 

27 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Crimps https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=SC35-6&location=Local

Compound just on the mating faces, there shouldn't be any gaps ???? 

Thanks for all info and help Crossy. I guess even after drilling new holes i have more materiel left on the lugs than those have and the fact that i just noticed diameter of the small bms lugs are just smaller than the hole on the better lugs so i will try drilling new 6mm holes on the battery lugs.

Pink

46 minutes ago, Crossy said:

EDIT

35mm2 cable, 6mm hole, from Lazada.

image.png.8f77a3a6a914dc5dc107ea574a3d4798.png

What crimping tool can you recommend for 25mm² cable, we have lots of NYY 25mm² from the House Build left and want to use that for the Batteries.

10 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

f i remember correct $1050 all included ( delivery, custom etc) 32 x 280A and 2 x JK BMS 150A.

Wow that is cheap.

Edit: Different price (from your other thread)

On 2/17/2023 at 4:39 PM, Pink7 said:

Whole order was  USD 4051 for 32 batteries and 2 x bms ($206) included delivery ($485) and custom etc.

Edited by MJCM

1 minute ago, Pink7 said:

If i remember correct $1050 all included ( delivery, custom etc) 32 x 280A and 2 x JK BMS 150A. More details could be found in my main tread GrowattSPF5000ESP

Pink

I agree 100%, I did buy expensive lugs to get good and much material so reason to not replace them is mainly because I dont see a way to remove current lugs and ad others in a good way without creating other problems. I guess my solution is either drill new holes or ad material between the battery and the lug, then with a extra smaller hole for bms cable.

Pink

9 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Thanks a lot. And where are  your Inverter/Charger etc? House side or Battery side?

Battery side.

Under-construction photo, the wiring has been tidied somewhat and the larger battery box is now enclosed. 

image.jpeg.ae9fd8d234df0b8c0902e38bf95e5dbf.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Wow that is cheap.

Sorry my main is to much busy with other things now. That was wrong info. Pls check the link i added. I payed $110 or so per battery. I payed $4050 all included.

Pink

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Wow that is cheap.

Edited by Pink7
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Pink7 said:

Sorry my main is to much busy with other things now. That was wrong info. Pls check the link i added. I payed $110 or so per battery

Pink

Found the link, in your other thread. Updated my post. Still Wish it was that cheap 555555555555

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MJCM said:

What crimping tool can you recommend for 25mm² cable, we have lots of NYY 25mm² from the House Build left and want to use that for the Batteries.

I have a large and cheap hand crimper that I bought ages ago in India, does the job well enough.

Plenty of baby hydraulic ones on Lazada. I would go for one that does the hexagonal crimps for no reason other than they look prettier (then you put heat-shrink on anyway).

Mine is something like this https://www.lazada.co.th/products/wjhh-50mm-crimping-pliers-network-pliers-i3895728927-s14951682121.html

image.png.ab2a16edfcc697a9e3fa804186089217.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Plenty of baby hydraulic ones on Lazada. I would go for one that does the hexagonal crimps for no reason other than they look prettier (then you put heat-shrink on anyway).

I found one, but I am surprised they are so cheap 700THB(ish)

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/yqk-70-hydraulic-clamp-4-70-sqmm-hydraulic-crimping-pliers-i1826820163-s5495794451.html