Driving a motorbike

17 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Yes. Two wheels and handlebars.????????

Ah .. drive vs rode.   I simply operate them, as I do any machine ????

As stated above, most understand both used.   Too lazy to G definition, and will leave that to the grammar PoPo.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I first started riding motorcycles back in the UK, (a very long time ago) riding was indeed the terminology used. And I'm pretty sure that it still is. I would also suspect that it's the same throughout the English speaking world.

When we see 'driving a motorcycle' it is probably when a translation has taken place and the translator (human or AI) does not have sufficient linguistic nuance to differentiate between 'riding' and 'driving'. Basically, if it's mechanical conveyance, you drive it, no matter how many wheels it has. 

I long since stopped raising my eyebrows over such minor details.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

When I first started riding motorcycles back in the UK, (a very long time ago) riding was indeed the terminology used. And I'm pretty sure that it still is. I would also suspect that it's the same throughout the English speaking world.

When we see 'driving a motorcycle' it is probably when a translation has taken place and the translator (human or AI) does not have sufficient linguistic nuance to differentiate between 'riding' and 'driving'. Basically, if it's mechanical conveyance, you drive it, no matter how many wheels it has. 

I long since stopped raising my eyebrows over such minor details.

Not raising my eyebrows over minor details.

No.

As far as I know planes are not driven and yes they have wheels.

Been owning and riding motorbikes, vespa up to Kawasaki GT & GPZ 750's (mid late 1980's?)

Back to the Cub 110 last 10 years.

Always wanted a Kwaka ZZ900, as in the movie Stone.

My question was just a simple question.????????

To me it's riding a bike and driving a car and I also find that the expression "driving a bike" does grind my gears, albeit very mildly.

Even riding at 20kph is a more active and dynamic action than driving a car, primarily because it includes the need to constanly adjust your balance.

(This also applies to the village bike!)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Interesting that when one is a passenger in a car, one is "riding in the car" even though not sitting astride.

I never say that. 

I'm sitting in a car.

I'm traveling in the car. 

You have been in the car. 

I am being taken in the car.

I'm going in a car 

I don't know.  But if you had been slugging back pints of brew before you get on your motorcycle and get pulled over, will they arrest you for 'drink driving' or 'drunk driving.'   ????

Edited by connda
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, connda said:

I don't know.  But if you had been slugging back pints brew before you get on your motorcycle and get pulled over, will they arrest you for 'drink driving' or 'drunk driving.'   ????

Fair call.????????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Then there's the term "joyriding" which means driving fast or dangerously for enjoyment in a stolen car.

I've never heard of it called "joydriving".

It gets better by the minute.

Good call.????????

• Haha 1

Planes are "flown" and on the ground they are steered with your feet.  Now what do you call that?  "Taxiing".

Edited by connda

5 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Then there's the term "joyriding" which means driving fast or dangerously for enjoyment in a stolen car.

I've never heard of it called "joydriving".

Well, once I had a girl-friend named Joy.  And when we got in the bedroom?  ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, connda said:

Planes are "flown" and on the ground they are steered with your feet.  Now what do you call that?  "Taxiing".

I guess whatever you want to suit the narrative.????????

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Anything you sit astride on is being ridden. Examples being a motorcycle, bicycle, tricycle, horse, camel, or an ostrich.

Nearly everything with four wheels you drive. Obviously a quad bike being one exception.

Does one ride or drive on a ferris wheel.?

... a team of horses.?

... a hard bargain.?