Really Wish I Hadn't Invited My Friend To Visit

Brewster67

10 hours ago, riclag said:

Live and learn ! After the first incident you should  of voiced your objections !Which reminds me.

I had coffee with a fellow countryman at a coffee shop here!

He scolded me about my wandering glances when Thai ladies entered the establishment!
I never had coffee with him again!

Probably he thought that he is more exiting than those girls. ???? 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Sounds to me you didn't really know him that well. 

I'm English and thankfully I don't have family or friends that visit me in Thailand like that. 

Some people are just like that. I think its more a certain class of people not a country. We got those idiots too in the Netherlands who think life is drinking and being rude. Usually people working in construction and so on. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UWEB said:

Yes i read about that the Dutch are fed up with people from the UK in the red light district. Now seems normal to me, people in Spain are fed up with Dutch and English there. I think holliday makers in general are annoying. But on the other hand if you live in a place that thrives on tourism then you should not complain too much.

The people from the UK i met were mainly hard drinkers. But then again my friends from when I was young (village ppl) were hard drinkers too and add drugs. So i think its more like a certain kind of people. Plus they like to travel. 

Its also easier just single a nationality out instead of accepting that your own are idiots too.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

Some people are just like that. I think its more a certain class of people not a country. We got those idiots too in the Netherlands who think life is drinking and being rude. Usually people working in construction and so on. 

Yep and they are best avoided, more and more in Pattaya now, they used to holiday in ibiza, Tenerife, magaluf, often a dead giveaway is shirtless and\or tattoos 

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's be honest, there are a few demographics of certain nationalities that are more prone to acting like morons, often compounded by alcohol ("In Vino Veritas) no matter if they are at home or travelling. 

Not necessarily an age thing either. 

OP - sorry you had to go through this. People change over the course of their lives. Some (most?) of us become well adjusted/grow up and learn to play with other kids/cultures in the sandbox. The majority of the rest will remain the trailer park trash they were destined to be. I know a little bit about this as I come from a (U.S.) trailer trash family and was never really meant to make it out, but managed to do so with a bit of self determination and, frankly, some luck along the way.

I stay as far away as I can from representatives of this segment of Western (or any) society. You may lose a friend over this fiasco, but you'll gain something more valuable - peace of mind. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't breathe the sigh of relief yet. You might get a thank you email saying, "Thanks. Had a great time. Will be back in July for the school summer holidays."

As for your friend grabbing the lady's rear. That could have backfired on both of you. Not just him.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

That's the thing, I have known him for 30 years, back in the UK he is never like that, he only went out once or twice a week and would just sit in the bar have a few beers and chat. he has even been here before, he was here 10 years ago for my wedding and he wasn't anything like that but he was with a few others who maybe kept him grounded... He seems to have changed// I won't be inviting him back. That is for sure.

I had a couple of friends for over 25 years each, but they both "changed" and are very much ex friends now.

As for the OP, perhaps a trip to an isolated beach somewhere might have been in order for the rest of his trip. He could have got as p*****d as much as he liked and not upset anyone.

Doesn't sound like he was interested in sight seeing anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, LaosLover said:

On the flip side, I once took my hillbilly mother in law to a nice hotel.

When we got off the elevator, there was a little couch.

She thought that it was her room and started to unpack.

Reminds me of the tale of someone who had a Thai girlfriend and they invited her mother to come and stay. The first day, she offered to go out and get in some food, and she was gone so long they started to worry and went in search of her. They didn't have to go far. She was still waiting by the lift, waiting for it to stop at her floor. She had no idea she had to push the button.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sandboxer said:

stay as far away as I can from representatives of this segment of Western (or any) society. You may lose a friend over this fiasco, but you'll gain something more valuable - peace of mind

I personally don’t have any western friends here now, most of the westerners I run into here drink too much are loud pretentious and show-offs in a creepy sort of way, Some of ones that live here are very odd, it’s almost like they seem like they think they own the place, mental disorder?. I don’t drink, my wife doesn’t drink neither does her family. Just don’t want to get involved. So, sorry if you see me out and about and I didn’t acknowledge your presence and give you recognition, it’s because I don’t want anything to do with... ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, novacova said:

This is why a lot, most women here, at least here in the north are afraid and scared of most foreign men. Just some of the descriptives some of my friends use are psychopaths, not normal and rude. It’s probably why the creepy creeps end up hanging out boozer bars with prostitutes and some even marring them because decent Decent Thai women won’t get near them and don’t want anything to do with the creep trash that comes here. 

very biased outlook....

• Thumbs Up 1

I had friends (freeloaders) wanting to come here and stay in our spare rooms. 

I just tell them the political situation is too dangerous, but they never hear about it because of local censorship.

They're too bone idle to do their own research, so it works well!

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

That's the thing, I have known him for 30 years, back in the UK he is never like that, he only went out once or twice a week and would just sit in the bar have a few beers and chat. he has even been here before, he was here 10 years ago for my wedding and he wasn't anything like that but he was with a few others who maybe kept him grounded... He seems to have changed// I won't be inviting him back. That is for sure.

Back in the mid 90,s after I had made a few trips here from Canada a buddy wanted to come over with me.Okay says me,we stopped for a couple ales near the regional airport we needed to get to Vancouver.As we were going thru security they were looking at our carry on bags and his turn came.He was casually asked ,what do you have in the bag? His reply, "a gun and a knife" he chuckled.I couldn't believe my ears ! .So began his 1st trip to Thailand.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Not true in the slightest.  In fact, I wish people would forget it.  The calls of "decolonise this and that" and the attempts at guilting White people over imperialism and colonisation are a near constant thing in certain communities.

Yes, funny how some want to go back to the stoneage. Even recede to government control dictatorship, though forget history right? Things will be better this time around despite what history dictates.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yep and they are best avoided, more and more in Pattaya now, they used to holiday in ibiza, Tenerife, magaluf, often a dead giveaway is shirtless and\or tattoos 

If anything, they are less and less, the price of airfares keeps all but the most determined mongers away, and the most determined mongers don't come here to drink all day! 

The top three tourist groups are currently:

Russia, India, and Kazakhstan. ????

China is down 80% since 2019 and the way their economy is going, don't expect to see them back in numbers at the seafood buffet soon. 

18 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

You just can't do this stuff here, as you know Thai society is very conservative and polite.

You should have taken him to Pattaya.  Do not know Korat, but likely not where he needed to be on holiday

18 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

What a horror story, my sympathies to the OP, I'm happy for you that your life has returned to normal.

Several years ago I offered to host my niece and her boyfriend during the Thailand leg of their gap year, round the world trip. She's an extremely intelligent girl who is now a partner in a law firm and speaks several languages. Despite trying to play the informed tourist guide role, she was convinced that virtually every Thai female she saw was a hooker and that the entire country had been given over to the sex trade, despite the fact we never even went close to any dodgy areas like lower Suckie. I tried to correct her understanding a few times but finally gave up. At the airport when I saw them off, she said she probably wouldn't return to Thailand because you just can't get away from the sex trade.

What can be said, people have bias and prejudices, despite apparent intelligence she turned out to be pretty stupid. 

Unfortunately she will more that likely be a lefty too.  Maybe direct her to Andrew Tate for re-education. He should be able to talk some sense into her. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1