Brake dust residue?

We spotted some black residue on our concrete driveway, just inside where the front wheels are. 

The rims were also kind of stained black but it all just wiped away while washing the car.

Does this sound like black dust from the front brake pads, or something else?

TIA

IME front wheel brakes work harder than rear brakes.

Brake pads are usually black, and wear with friction. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and looks like a duck..............

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

IME front wheel brakes work harder than rear brakes.

Brake pads are usually black, and wear with friction. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and looks like a duck..............

Indeed, but the dust is usually taken away by wheel rotation. Now cheap pads, from who knows where, maybe a different kettle of fish, that's why I suggested checking them because they might be disintegrating.....????

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Indeed, but the dust is usually taken away by wheel rotation. Now cheap pads, from who knows where, maybe a different kettle of fish, that's why I suggested checking them because they might be disintegrating.....????

Most disc brakes I see are inside the width of the wheel rim. Centrifugal force throws any dust onto the inside surface, it's a matter of wheel design if it is shed from there.

You may be right, it's not unknown for mechanics to be using cheaper parts and charging for genuine spares.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Most disc brakes I see are inside the width of the wheel rim. Centrifugal force throws any dust onto the inside surface, it's a matter of wheel design if it is shed from there.

You may be right, it's not unknown for mechanics to be using cheaper parts and charging for genuine spares.

I have knowledge of dodgy pads, from probably you know where, during my fiddling around with car years....:whistling: