Open Thai Bank Account

On 4/17/2023 at 3:54 PM, marioc said:

I totally agree with Ohyesuare.
Nowadays it is getting very very difficult to open a Thai Bank account, even with long term visa. Basically useless to go from bank branches to another trying it.
Better to save energy and peace of mind getting assistance from an agent.
A little costly but well worthy in your case.

Exactly how costly please?

On 4/17/2023 at 6:07 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

SWIFT transferring funds from overseas into any Thai bank does not require an "easing of the process". Instruct the overseas bank and it is done, it is of no consequence whether the bank is SCB, UOBT, Krungsri, KTB, TTB, BBL, Kasikorn or any other, there are no restrictions on incoming funds.

He wasn't talking about SWIFT, he was talking about WISE.

39 minutes ago, UKPaul67 said:

Update **

The visa Agent I tried never even responded ????, maybe its more difficult now in Bkk, I'll give up for this trip and try again next time,thanks for all the answers guys ????

Most Thais don't read emails. Need to talk in person. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, UKPaul67 said:

Update **

The visa Agent I tried never even responded ????, maybe its more difficult now in Bkk, I'll give up for this trip and try again next time,thanks for all the answers guys ????

law firms can also assist in opening bank accounts.  you could try siam legal in bkk if you are having trouble finding a good agent.  you'll have to pay a fee, maybe 4,000thb. 

1 minute ago, buick said:

law firms can also assist in opening bank accounts.  you could try siam legal in bkk if you are having trouble finding a good agent.  you'll have to pay a fee, maybe 4,000thb. 

Siam Legal are the ones that never answered my email, I'll try a more direct approach to them next time, but they quoted 5000 baht+17% VAT.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, UKPaul67 said:

To open an account?

I asked a bank re joint ac with gf. They said you have to be married. I think an agent is the best option.

So if you don't trust your gf if you have one find an agent. They can tell the bank you want to buy a condo etc and set up an account. 

1 minute ago, bignok said:

I asked a bank re joint ac with gf. They said you have to be married. I think an agent is the best option.

So if you don't trust your gf if you have one find an agent. They can tell the bank you want to buy a condo etc and set up an account. 

It's more I wanted a bank account, for an easy life, updating phone plan etc, yes I did want to have more security when transferring for the Condo purchase.

It's more I wanted a bank account, for an easy life, updating phone plan etc, yes I did want to have more security when transferring for the Condo purchase.

The condo story is what they tell the bank. Doesnt have to be reality. You tell the bank you will do business with them in future. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

Phone them. Find a smaller firm perhaps.

Siam legal have a branch of BK Bank they use near thier office, it could be that the government are clamping down more and it'd not so easy anymore.

Strange thing is, Thailand want foreign investments, but now seem to make it more difficult to allow that investment to flow easy, as a previous Op stated,  visa and long stay and accounts all contradict each other for setting up. 

Siam legal have a branch of BK Bank they use near thier office, it could be that the government are clamping down more and it'd not so easy anymore.

Strange thing is, Thailand want foreign investments, but now seem to make it more difficult to allow that investment to flow easy, as a previous Op stated,  visa and long stay and accounts all contradict each other for setting up. 

Maybe the election will help or hinder.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Exactly how costly please?

I am sorry, I do not know. I've never used that service.
I was just generally speaking. I think Red Phoenix in a previous post mentioned something around 4,000 THB.

11 hours ago, norbra said:

Telephone head office call centre explain your circumstances and your requirements

You are not likely to get a good result from a bank branch.

I have open 3 accounts using this approach 

I always stipulate that I want account details ,name same as passport and address in English 

So how does a telephone call to head office magic up a new account? Do they open it over the phone? You still need to go to a branch to do it, right? Do you tell them 'Your head office said you must open an account for me with "name same as passport and address in English"' and they just jump to it? The same folks that said 'cannot' previously?

Your post is light on the mechanics of the process plus it doesn't have a date of when the last of your 3 account openings was so easily done. The banking rules and regulations have been tightened up over tha past few years.

7 hours ago, UKPaul67 said:

Siam Legal are the ones that never answered my email, I'll try a more direct approach to them next time, but they quoted 5000 baht+17% VAT.

maybe it was a songkran holiday thing ?  available staff focused on bigger ticket items ?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So how does a telephone call to head office magic up a new account? Do they open it over the phone? You still need to go to a branch to do it, right? Do you tell them 'Your head office said you must open an account for me with "name same as passport and address in English"' and they just jump to it? The same folks that said 'cannot' previously?

Your post is light on the mechanics of the process plus it doesn't have a date of when the last of your 3 account openings was so easily done. The banking rules and regulations have been tightened up over tha past few years.

For the effort of a telephone call you will get advice regarding their requirements better than spending hours in a branch Q system and being denied.

My success resulted from making the phone call inside the branch while with a staff member who said cannot do.

If you make the call from home you will at least have an answer before wasting time looking for a branch that might accommodate your needs

Edited by norbra
  • Thumbs Up 2

Called this morning, current rules are minimum 60 day visa, so at the moment visa on arrival is not permitted. The lady said it may change for better or worse after the election.

But Siam-Legal Said they can open an account  5000+17% vat, providing at least a 60 day visa

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, hotandsticky said:
On 4/17/2023 at 6:07 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

SWIFT transferring funds from overseas into any Thai bank does not require an "easing of the process". Instruct the overseas bank and it is done, it is of no consequence whether the bank is SCB, UOBT, Krungsri, KTB, TTB, BBL, Kasikorn or any other, there are no restrictions on incoming funds.

Expand  

He wasn't talking about SWIFT, he was talking about WISE.

I know what he posted.  My comment pointed out that there is more to getting funds into Thai banks than Wise and two specific banks.  The OP may not have understood that from his incomplete "B50k" reference that some may think restricted international transfers.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know what he posted.  My comment pointed out that there is more to getting funds into Thai banks than Wise and two specific banks.  The OP may not have understood that from his incomplete "B50k" reference that some may think restricted international transfers.

....and WISE (as much as I like them) are limited to 2m Baht...............which may not help in a condo purchase.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UKPaul67 said:

Call them or visit their office, either of those approaches demonstrate more credibility and less chance of time-wasting, non-serious info gathering than an email.   They specifically offer a Bangkok Bank account opening service on their website and the fee is B5,000.  VAT is 7%, not 17%...if they didn't respond to you how did you get that quote?

Opening of Bank Account Assistance

Siam Legal International provides a hassle-free service for foreigners without work permit to obtain a Thai bank account in Bangkok as follows:

• A completed form by Bangkok Bank
  • A full reference letter for short stay or long-stay foreigners, with an official stamp from Siam Legal International
  • A copy of ID card of the reference person, with an official stamp from Siam Legal International
  • Applicant's original passport

The applicant may retain Siam Legal online. After payment, our staff will schedule an appointment to visit our office and the request of the application documents from Siam Legal International. We only require your passport and the process takes only less than 30 minutes and the applicant can proceed to Bangkok Bank, Exchange Tower branch on the same day.

The assistance for opening a personal bank account costs 5,000 THB.

https://www.siam-legal.com/other-services/opening-a-bank-account-in-bangkok.php

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Call them or visit their office, either of those approaches demonstrate more credibility and less chance of time-wasting, non-serious info gathering than an email.   They specifically offer a Bangkok Bank account opening service on their website and the fee is B5,000.  VAT is 7%, not 17%...if they didn't respond to you how did you get that quote?

Opening of Bank Account Assistance

Siam Legal International provides a hassle-free service for foreigners without work permit to obtain a Thai bank account in Bangkok as follows:

• A completed form by Bangkok Bank
  • A full reference letter for short stay or long-stay foreigners, with an official stamp from Siam Legal International
  • A copy of ID card of the reference person, with an official stamp from Siam Legal International
  • Applicant's original passport

The applicant may retain Siam Legal online. After payment, our staff will schedule an appointment to visit our office and the request of the application documents from Siam Legal International. We only require your passport and the process takes only less than 30 minutes and the applicant can proceed to Bangkok Bank, Exchange Tower branch on the same day.

The assistance for opening a personal bank account costs 5,000 THB.

https://www.siam-legal.com/other-services/opening-a-bank-account-in-bangkok.php

Sounds good.

12 hours ago, UKPaul67 said:

It could be that they can open a Bangkok Bank account for you as they advertise.  

Call them, or visit their office, that's certainly no more difficult than useless speculation here about what the situation "may" be.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1