Open Thai Bank Account

Finding it virtually impossible to open a thai bank account, I want to purchase a Condo, and every bank that advertise that a foreigner can open a bank account, just say "No".

I dont trust a lawyer to be my POA for buying the condo, beside in Bkk lawyer are extortionate quoted prices and would much prefer my own bank account ????, and I would rather go to the land registry myself to sign. So when I return it would be much easier to transfer the money to the thai bank account.

I only come on a tourist visa , less than 30 days per time.

Any ideas guys. ?

1 hour ago, UKPaul67 said:

Its a nightmare ????. I'll have to look at an agent, do we know if it usually goes with out any issues providing my passport and passport stamp ?

Since 1-2 years it has indeed become very difficult and almost impossible to open a personal Thai Bank-Account now on a VisaExempt or Tourist Visa.  But a Visa Agent can help you with opening such an account for a modest fee (approx 4.000 THB).  The Agent would go with you to a Bank branche where he has connections, and the Bank would then open the account for you on the spot (so no fear of passport loss). 

Note: If at all possible tell the Visa Agent that you prefer an account with either Kasikorn Bank or Bangkok Bank, as both of them are WISE partner-banks, which would considerably ease the process of transferring a large sum of money from abroad. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

If at all possible tell the Visa Agent that you prefer an account with either Kasikorn Bank or Bangkok Bank, as both of them are WISE partner-banks, which would considerably ease the process of transferring a large sum of money from abroad. 

SWIFT transferring funds from overseas into any Thai bank does not require an "easing of the process". Instruct the overseas bank and it is done, it is of no consequence whether the bank is SCB, UOBT, Krungsri, KTB, TTB, BBL, Kasikorn or any other, there are no restrictions on incoming funds.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

The OP's in Bangkok and is here on either a TR or VE.

Correct, I'm looking at my future plans, which is buying a condo first and get myself setup. But its not easy, considering Thailand wants people to buy buy buy and bring money, yet make it very difficult.

Edited by UKPaul67
typos
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

SWIFT transferring funds from overseas into any Thai bank does not require an "easing of the process". Instruct the overseas bank and it is done, it is of no consequence whether the bank is SCB, UOBT, Krungsri, KTB, TTB, BBL, Kasikorn or any other, there are no restrictions on incoming funds.

I should have been more clear.  If OP intends to use WISE to transfer funds from UK to Thailand, it would be advantageous if his Thai bank-account is with Kasikorn or Bangkok Bank, as those are WISE partner-banks. When using WISE with other Thai banks the amount to transfer is limited to 50.000 THB per transaction, and there is a delay as the funds need to be funneled through one of the Wise partner-banks first.

In majority of cases WISE is the better option to transfer funds, as they are as good as always the cheapest, fastest and most transparent. When I transfer funds from my Belgian bank-account to my Kasikorn account using WISE I know exactly how much I will receive, and the funds arrive in seconds on my account the moment I click GO.  

• Thumbs Up 1

In another current thread, I wrote about my deceased friend's brother coming to Thailand to settle his affairs.  He needed a Bangkok Bank account but was on a 45 day visa exempt entry and staying in hotels. No go at Bangkok Bank when he tried.

He went to an agent I know.  She "leased" him a cheap b4000 condo for one month that he will actually never set foot into.  That enabled her to do a TM 30 and thus get a residency certificate.  Took it all to Bangkok Bank and got his account.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

@Lemsta69

I'll wait for thier reply, they claim for the fee they do the paper work and the document required from there is straight to the Bank to open Siam-Legal 5k fee + vat.

I'll update the post , if they replay and i manage to get the account, Seen a few reviews one from only 3 months ago

3 hours ago, UKPaul67 said:

I only come on a tourist visa , less than 30 days per time.

Any ideas guys. ?

Not related to your Thai Bank Account query, but if you stay in Thailand for less than 30 days per time there is no reason to apply for a 60-day Tourist Visa to come over.  You can simply enter Thailand Visa Exempt (without a Visa), which will provide you with a 30 day Permit to stay stamped by Border-Immigration in your passport on entry. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

Since 1-2 years it has indeed become very difficult and almost impossible to open a personal Thai Bank-Account now on a VisaExempt or Tourist Visa.  But a Visa Agent can help you with opening such an account for a modest fee (approx 4.000 THB).  The Agent would go with you to a Bank branche where he has connections, and the Bank would then open the account for you on the spot (so no fear of passport loss). 

Note: If at all possible tell the Visa Agent that you prefer an account with either Kasikorn Bank or Bangkok Bank, as both of them are WISE partner-banks, which would considerably ease the process of transferring a large sum of money from abroad. 

Do you know a visa agent in Chiang Mai?

29 minutes ago, dddave said:

In another current thread, I wrote about my deceased friend's brother coming to Thailand to settle his affairs.  He needed a Bangkok Bank account but was on a 45 day visa exempt entry and staying in hotels. No go at Bangkok Bank when he tried.

He went to an agent I know.  She "leased" him a cheap b4000 condo for one month that he will actually never set foot into.  That enabled her to do a TM 30 and thus get a residency certificate.  Took it all to Bangkok Bank and got his account.

In Bangkok or somewhere else?

35 minutes ago, bignok said:

Do you know a visa agent in Chiang Mai?

No, as I am living in South Isaan.  But when you do a search on the Forum (it's in the black ribbon top-right) on "AGENT CHIANG MAI BANK" and choose the option 'all search terms', you will undoubtedly find advice on Visa agents in Chiang Mai that are providing that service.

Edited by Red Phoenix

16 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Darn it! Was hoping for an easy BKK solution, don't want to go to CW for residence certificate. Thanks anyway.

TM-30 itself might be sufficient as it's essentially a residence verification. 

Telephone head office call centre explain your circumstances and your requirements

You are not likely to get a good result from a bank branch.

I have open 3 accounts using this approach 

I always stipulate that I want account details ,name same as passport and address in English 

Edited by norbra
  • Thumbs Up 2