Train ride from Chiang Mai to Bangkok

bignok

At least 1 stop every province along the way ... any reason to off the train.

Added plus, you'll never have to do it again, or return to any of the krappy stops you didn't like.

Maybe some helpful info to follow.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

At least 1 stop every province along the way ... any reason to off the train.

Added plus, you'll never have to do it again, or return to any of the krappy stops you didn't like.

Maybe some helpful info to follow.

We thinking Phitsanulok get off, drive to Sukhothai then big waterfall in Kampaeng Phet then big temple in Phetchabun then get back on train. Nice loop. Best temple plus ruins plus biggest waterfall.

After that the other towns might be lame.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bignok said:

We thinking Phitsanulok get off, drive to Sukhothai then big waterfall in Kampaeng Phet then big temple in Phetchabun then get back on train. Nice loop. Best temple plus ruins plus biggest waterfall.

After that the other towns might be lame.

Drive ?  Bringing a scooter with you, on plan on renting on ?

Waterfall may be a trickle, till the rains start.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Drive ?  Bringing a scooter with you, on plan on renting on ?

Waterfall may be a trickle, till the rains start.

In June. Hire a car. She cant drive though so might just do big temple. 3 hours return. Stay 2 nights. Otherwise eat and drink in Phitsanulok. Save somethings for next time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Chiang Mai to Lamphang - 1.5 hr drive.

Lamphang to Sukhothai - 2.5 hr drive

Sukhothai to Kamphang Phet - 1 hr drive

Kamphang Phet to Phitsanulok - 1.5 hr drive

Phitsanulok to Wat Phra Thart Pha Sorn Kaew - 1.5 hr drive

My question would be - why take the train at all ?

Fitting in to the train time table then renting a car etc at

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Chiang Mai to Lamphang - 1.5 hr drive.

Lamphang to Sukhothai - 2.5 hr drive

Sukhothai to Kamphang Phet - 1 hr drive

Kamphang Phet to Phitsanulok - 1.5 hr drive

Phitsanulok to Wat Phra Thart Pha Sorn Kaew - 1.5 hr drive

My question would be - why take the train at all ?

Fitting in to the train time table then renting a car etc at your destination is going to be a huge inconvenience.... 

your destination is going to be a huge inconvenience.... 

We are finishing in Bangkok. That is why. So hire in Phitsanulok and leave it there. No drop off fee.

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh dear, you guys that can't see the romance in train travel...............

No need to hire a car at destinations either- local public transport is cheap, or hire a tour guide and van for the day.

I loved travel by train in LOS, and every trip is a treasured memory. See the real Thailand up close.

We love trains too. Car for side trip.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I thought the historical ruins north of Ayutthaya were better ( don't remember the name, but well known ). Far less tourists cluttering up the place.

If you recall the name please let me know. If it is somewhere I have not been I would have to make a point to visit.

I personal enjoyed Ayutthaya more than Sukhothai but can see if someone felt the opposite.

8 hours ago, bignok said:

In June. Hire a car. She cant drive though so might just do big temple. 3 hours return. Stay 2 nights. Otherwise eat and drink in Phitsanulok. Save somethings for next time.

Why not think about getting off at Phitsanulok and driving over to Khon Kaen, get the train from there to Bangkok.

The route 12 takes you through the Khao Kho area and well worth a couple of days stopover on route, the mountains are quite spectacular, reminded me on Scotland.

https://guide2thailand.com/phu-thap-buek-mountain/

https://www.thainationalparks.com/khao-kho-national-park#:~:text=Khao Khao Summit&text=The highest point at Khao,ends from%2Fat road 2196.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not far north of Ayutthaya about 15 to 20 minutes on a train you will arrive at LopBuri.

Very quiet, lots of temples to wander around including those with ,000's of monkeys. Compact to wander around with little traffic either. If at any point you've had enough and wish to get back on the train I was never more than 10minutes walk from the station on my wandering tourist trail.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Onwards from Lomsak, route 12 crosses the extensive Nam Nao National Park with spectacular viewing points:

Bridge @ Nam Nao National Park | Mapio.net

Cheers, may come back that way next time up there.

Last time we just went back towards Phitsanulok and down the No 11.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, sandyf said:

If you do, have an enjoyable trip. From Chumphae route 201 will take you south via Chaiyaphum to route 2 near Pak Chong. Alternatively, keep on route 12 to Khon Kaen and then south by train or car (route 2) to Bangkok. Regards.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Just been to Phitsanulok. The Lotus and Makro are very good, as is the Esso station on the main road.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, bignok said:

Not sure it is the best time for waterfalls hehe. Be more like 'water stream' if any left during the hot months, at least to most I tried visiting with my parents in law last month (fail).

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Just been to Phitsanulok. The Lotus and Makro are very good, as is the Esso station on the main road.

Been a couple of times, got one of the biggest buffet places I have ever seen. Friends took us so no idea where it was or called.

• Love It 1

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I thought the historical ruins north of Ayutthaya were better ( don't remember the name, but well known ). Far less tourists cluttering up the place.

I Think you mean Bang Pa In, it is beautiful!

34 minutes ago, Maybole said:

I Think you mean Bang Pa In, it is beautiful!

Bang Pa In would be south of Ayutthaya but maybe he got the direction wrong. Bang Pa In is on my list of the places to see. I tried to go during Covid but the palace was closed because of Covid. Still a nice day taking the train from Bangkok and back again.

say hi to the annoying breakfast lady that tries to sell you overpriced crappy thai food and wakes everyone up early yelling...."breakast--olange joooce"

add in the naaaaam!!!! yen yen...........................NAAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEN YEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  made me stop taking the train   ayutthaha is worth a visit tho....

• Love It 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if you followed it or remember it but there was a really nice thread on here about 2-4 yrs ago (?) about train travel in Thailand. The guy did a great job with reports, videos and photos.

My wife and I loved 3rd class car day trips or for a long weekend.

• 2 weeks later...