Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Flying Domestic Within Thailand With An 8 Year Old Child.

Dmaxdan

Later this year my wife and I plan to take our 8 Year old grandson from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and then onto a currently undecided beach resort for a short holiday.

I have never booked air tickets or flown with for a child before and I'm completely ignorant as to what the procedure is.

So I have a couple of questions. Apologies if they seem really dumb....

Firstly, does my 8 year grandson need Official ID to board a plane?

Obviously he will be traveling with us.

He currently doesn't have a Thai ID card yet. I gather that at 7 years old he is eligible for one but the first time you apply you need to have a parent or legal guardian present to sign the paperwork. The problem being that his father is deceased and his mother (my wife's daughter) can't be bothered to travel up to travel up from her nice little life in Bangkok to do the necessaries.

Secondly when you book an air ticket for a child you presumably need a English translation of their actual name?

Now obviously if he had an ID card then you could just copy what was on there. So will any rough translation of his name suffice?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dmaxdan
Correction in the title.

21 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Secondly when you book an air ticket for a child you presumably need a English translation of their actual name?

Now obviously if he had an ID card then you could just copy what was on there. So will any rough translation of his name suffice?

His surname is likely identical to fathers surname (shown in English on the ID).

And the mother should be able to tell you and send a copy.

She could also send a copy of her ID and some words that you can travel with the boy.

For domestic there should not be too much problem (abroad is another league).

First name? Maybe you could ask your wife(Thai?) how it sounds.

Together with the birth date in AD that should suffice.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1