Apply for non-o retirement Visa tm30 from hotel not accepted?

On 4/21/2023 at 1:27 PM, problemfarang said:

With all respect to your life and living style it very makes sense that IO didnt accept your immigrant extension. For the IO it doesnt make sense that an immigrant is/can live in a hotel for the rest of his retirement life instead of can rent a house or condo with more cheaper rent or else. 

Dude you don't get it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Dude you don't get it. 

What some folk have misunderstood is this OP entered visa exempt and planned to obtain a non O retirement.

It is very unreasonable for immigration office to expect that a 12/6 month lease has been organized in first couple of weeks.

As a result "common sense" immigration offices should accept a TM30 to apply for a Non O.

This has been sufficient in many immigration offices.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BumGun said:

Which is always  the Catch 22 for me, the banks wont open an account until I have the "Retirement VIsa", I can't get said visa because I don't have a bank account to put the Baht in... ( i tried this several times when I visited pre covid running around to banks people said would open an account with a 30 Day visa waiver who when in there would not open an account)

I am fine with some paperwork and back and forth but after 5 banks I gave up. Of course I can apply in my home country (Australia) and get the visa that way and arrive and open a bank account presumably...but when I get back to Aus that never seems of interest ????

Use an agent to open a bank account and move on with your life. The only downside is that your have to queue up in the bank behind a bunch of technologically challenged farang who don't have a mobile internet data and so can't download the banking app. 

Or worse, don't have a local SIM card ????

On 4/20/2023 at 11:55 PM, RB7829 said:

Is not extension ... is first time application

It is considered by Thailand Immigration as an extension of your stay in Thailand. You can not apply for nor get a visa in Thailand, you must apply for and get a visa in your home country for an O or O-A (retirement visa). You can get some visas in neighboring countries as well, but none in Thailand! I have known a Thai Immigration Officer for 17 years. When I used to ask him for a new visa, he would reply go back to your home country if you want a visa, I can only give you a visa extension. I got an extension of my O visa a couple of months ago. One requirement is a long term lease and my landlord reporting to Immigration that I am living there with my wife. I used to do O-A Visas and extensions based on retirement. It's easier now that I am married to a Thai and that I know the second in command at the Phuket Immigration Office. Every Immigration Office and even officer is different and they have discretion.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, The Theory said:

We are retired, not prisoners that is what I told the IO when I was asked: "why I keep moving around". 

Would love to have seen the IO's expression when told that...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

It is considered by Thailand Immigration as an extension of your stay in Thailand. You can not apply for nor get a visa in Thailand, you must apply for and get a visa in your home country for an O or O-A (retirement visa). You can get some visas in neighboring countries as well, but none in Thailand! I have known a Thai Immigration Officer for 17 years. When I used to ask him for a new visa, he would reply go back to your home country if you want a visa, I can only give you a visa extension. I got an extension of my O visa a couple of months ago. One requirement is a long term lease and my landlord reporting to Immigration that I am living there with my wife. I used to do O-A Visas and extensions based on retirement. It's easier now that I am married to a Thai and that I know the second in command at the Phuket Immigration Office. Every Immigration Office and even officer is different and they have discretion.

So, you know for 17 years an Immigration Officer in Thailand and the second in command at the Phuket Immigration Office... , but you don't know what is the difference between changing Type of Visa and an extension of stay  ?