Trunk-ated Stay: Thailand’s push to bring home abused elephant from Sri Lanka continues

webfact

image.jpeg

Sak Surin, one of three elephants that Thailand gifted to Sri Lanka back in 2001. Picture courtesy of TNA-MCOT.

by Mitch Connor

The Thai government continues to explore ways to repatriate Sak Surin, one of three elephants gifted to Sri Lanka by Thailand back in 2001. This follows reports last year by an animal rights organisation that the elephant had been subjected to mistreatment by its handlers. While the government is aware of Sak Surin’s situation, transporting the elephant back to Thailand has proven problematic due to its size and the nature of its injuries.

Thai Environment and Natural Resources Minister Varawut Silpa-archa explained that the initial plan was to use a C-130 transport aircraft to bring Sak Surin home. However, this idea was abandoned when it became evident that the elephant’s enclosure would not fit in the cargo hold of the plane, which was originally designed to transport military equipment such as arms and tanks.

Another option considered by the government was to send a ship to retrieve Sak Surin. Unfortunately, this was also deemed unsuitable as the two-week journey would be too long for an injured elephant. Varawut stated that the ministry is now collaborating with the Foreign Affairs Ministry to find a suitable solution for Sak Surin’s repatriation.

The elephant’s situation has raised concerns since it was gifted to Sri Lanka as a goodwill ambassador for Thailand back in 2001. Since then, Sak Surin has changed hands several times.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/government-seeking-solutions-to-repatriate-abused-elephant

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Lifetraxx said:

It's amazing how fast they spring over mistreatment to a Thai elephant. 

But right on their doorstep they have a caged gorilla in a shopping mall they want nothing to do about. 

Thai priorities at their best 

Very selective priorities

3 hours ago, Lifetraxx said:

It's amazing how fast they spring over mistreatment to a Thai elephant. 

But right on their doorstep they have a caged gorilla in a shopping mall they want nothing to do about. 

Thai priorities at their best 

Probably rates higher than us. The elephant that is. 

Saddly some cultures just do what they do. Most animal and animal parts smuggling is for the Chinese. I went to a wedding here once and there was shark fin soup. I refused to eat it. They didn't understand. It's a status thing for them never mind that they just cut off the fin and throw the shark back in the water to die. I really do not like this side of Asian culture. 

I love elephants. Saw one open a manderin by very, more like very, very, very softly treading on it, taking out the flesh to eat and discard the peel. Thais who where there at the same time were as amazed as I was. An animal that can very easily crush a human skull. Something I will never forget seeing.